FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Other recommended projects

Post Thanks / Like

Other recommended projects

This may seem like an odd question on a FFR forum. Before I pull the trigger on a MK4 kit I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing for me. Looking at all my options.

What are some of your other rewarding at home car projects you’ve completed? No welding included!

Wondering if there is a more practical project out there for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    If its a car project you're after, you couldn't pick a better kit or company. Not to mention all the thousands that have built before you and ready to offer help and advice.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Mike. He's built many of these machines. If you're wondering if a build is for you, you may want to consider attending the build school. My build started in earnest, last December 22nd. My son and I just go carted it Monday night. We had a Mk 3.1 for 9 years and decided we wanted to be builders as well as owners. Either way, you will enjoy the hell out of these cars. Built or Bought. Get a ride in one, or two...dozen by attending the London Cobra Show. You'll see many different builds with some very cool touches that you haven't seen previously. Oh, and be prepared, WE will help you spend your money. This forum has already helped me spend about $5k more than I had planned, but every idea was worth it.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried other projects, but enjoyed this one the most by far.

Reasons off the top of my head:
    New Parts to work with - No Greasy old parts to remove first before installing new
    No Rust
    No Body on the frame as I build - Being 6'4", this one was a HUGE reason I took it on. I loved that I could work from all directions on the build without having to consider the body while working.
    Cheap parts to purchase at the Auto Parts store - mustang parts ($) vs classic corvette parts ($$$)
    great forum support by people who know exactly what kind of help you need when asking.

If your considering something less expensive but a similar experience, an old Jeep would be the closest similarity. Simple wiring, easy to get around, plenty of cheap parts, lots of knowledge out there, AND FUN WHEN YOU'RE DONE! Plus the "Jeep Wave" is always enjoyable
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    I've tried other projects, but enjoyed this one the most by far.

Reasons off the top of my head:
    New Parts to work with - No Greasy old parts to remove first before installing new
    No Rust
    No Body on the frame as I build - Being 6'4", this one was a HUGE reason I took it on. I loved that I could work from all directions on the build without having to consider the body while working.
    Cheap parts to purchase at the Auto Parts store - mustang parts ($) vs classic corvette parts ($$$)
    great forum support by people who know exactly what kind of help you need when asking.

If your considering something less expensive but a similar experience, an old Jeep would be the closest similarity. Simple wiring, easy to get around, plenty of cheap parts, lots of knowledge out there, AND FUN WHEN YOU'RE DONE! Plus the "Jeep Wave" is always enjoyable
    Thanks, I agree about the new parts. It’s very appealing not to have to deal with old rusted and seized parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is by far the best car or large project that I have done. There is building, driving, making new friends, large multi-day Cobra cruises, autocross, and track days that have all been part of my Cobra experience.

I have done some home remodeling projects, but those seem like "work" to me. The Cobra is always fun and relaxation when I work on it.

My little bit of pre-purchase advice:

1. Make sure you actually want a Cobra. Most guys love the way they look, but have no clue as to what they really are. It will not ride like a Cadillac no matter what. It is a race car that is street legal. It will always need something tinkered with. (Mine is off the road right now doing a hydraulic clutch upgrade). They are noisy, nasty, smelly, temperamental beasts that will punish you for doing something stupid behind the wheel. For me, all of the above is perfect.

2. While the kit is very good. They are not snap-together models, which some people seem to expect. You will be building a car. There will be things to tweak and adjust. Some things you will end up doing twice. But, it is not overwhelming and within the capabilities of the average person that can figure out which end of a screwdriver goes on the screw. You are only ever installing one part at any point in time.

New parts are great to work with compared to doing a classic restoration. There is also endless help available right here. FFR support is also great.

If you want a practical project, your toilet flapper valves are likely in need of replacement. But how much fun is that?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Want to start out with an easier project and take advantage of using new parts? Build a custom motorcycle. Less cost, less room needed, no hassle with greasy parts and rusted body panels.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarstiller View Post
    What are some of your other rewarding at home car projects you’ve completed? No welding included! Wondering if there is a more practical project out there for me.
    Building extremely detailed model cars, can be rewarding. It's car related, and no welding involved, and your 99% guaranteed to complete it..

https://petrolicious.com/articles/pe...-cars-are-made

Post Thanks / Like
    About 9 or 10 years ago, my wife told me I had two choices. Get a new job(stress) or get a hobby. She was serious.

The first 3 choices for a hobby she did not approve. When I brought up the idea of building a car, she said to go for it.

Around the same time, I had an old 1985 Dodge Ram in the garage that looked awful and did not run. So, I began working on that with the goal of getting it to run and having it look better. Unfortunately, I had a blast and it was a natural next step to build a car.

I have never regretted it. The people, the community, the car, the camaraderie, the new friends....

Bob