Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: My Official GTM Build Thread!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Dave, thanks for the tip. I'll check into this tomorrow. Does the crank hub also need to be swapped in order to line up
    with the original LS1 waterpump?
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly what I would, and have recommended. I'm certainly not too proud to say that I am NOT a professional car body man. I rough it, like with the demonized air file, and the 60 grit 90 degree die grinder, get the body filler to a point where it needs only to be taken down a slight amount to finished height, and then I call in the pros. IMHO, it is just foolish to think that you will do this better than a guy who does it all day, every day for a living. And since it is not the type of work I want to be doing all day, every day,I really see no practical reason to learn a skill that will ultimately be cheaper and MUCH more enjoyable to have someone else do.

If you have those skills...GREAT!! It's just not an area that I think is worth my while learning to perfect.

YMMV
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    it is just foolish to think that you will do this better than a guy who does it all day, every day for a living.
    Exactly. I am not that foolish to believe/think such a thing, but I am crazy enough to attempt it! I have no issue handing over the project
    when it's time for paint. It would be a smart move in order to receive the high gloss, show car quailty, masterpiece that this car deserves.

On the other hand, a part of me want to explore and learn. I was thinking I'd try my luck on the spoiler (it's a throw-away piece), and
    maybe the doors, and rear hatch. If they turned out to expectation, I might attempt the body, and hood. Who knows, it's all too far away t
    to conisder right now.

I know for certain the car is not getting painted this year. There are too many add-ons, and upgrades that I want to install before final paint
    happens.

As for the laser, I'm not thinking a single beam, "flashlight type". I'm thinking more like the type that Gene uses (a leveling laser) than can shine
    a continuous line across the hood. Does that make more sense now?

Gene,

Thank you for the response. I don't take offense to any of your comments; I just wish you could hear the audio. I'm confused when you say that I'm not ready for the block
    sanding stage? After breaking down the flash, I started to sand the parting lines to a point were the body panels have a smooth transition.

I've also roughed up the gel coat with 150 grit so that filler/bondo/primer will adhere.

Some air pockets have appeared which I plan to fix before moving forward.

Right now my goal is to sand the entire car, rough it up, and get all the parting lines flush.

Next I will treat the air pockets, and then add filler to the low spots.

The car is not at the go-kart stage. I have abondoned the engine install, and interior aluminum assembly until the body is sanded down.

I'll get another video uploaded with better quality, and more clarification. My cell phone is apparently not the correct format for YouTube!
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle