Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Washing the Roadster

Post Thanks / Like

Washing the Roadster

What have you guys found to be the best method and tools for washing your roadster?
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hose, soap and towel. I'm not picky.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Simple Green and a Scotchbrite pad on mine:

But I don't advise that method for yours Park in garage, or at least the shade, fill a bucket with water and a couple drops of car wash soap, mist it with a garden hose, wash it down with a soft mitt then hose off the suds and dry it with a soft towel or chamois. A few drops of water inside won't hurt a thing.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Griot's waterless spray-on car wash. Very happy with the results! Just wash it in the garage - no water to worry about.

See this thread on the other forum

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...-roadster.html
    Steve

FFR #8305; IRS, 347; T5 Trans; EFI, 3.27 Rear; 17x9" Front; 17x10.5" Rear
    Paint - Ford Magnetic Metallic Gray (J7) with Black Stripes; Painted by "da Bat"
    Complete Kit Delivered 05/15/2014; Titled and Registered 4/14/2017 as a 1965!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using a rinse-less car wash also. It is nice to be able to wash the car in the garage at 10:00pm. I do a more regular bucket / hose wash if it gets really dirty.

I use micro fiber wash mitts, drying towels, etc. I bought a set of Cobra towels. A coincidence, I swear!
    I have a dedicated bucket with a dirt catcher in the bottom.
    Griotts Speed Spray - for quick detailing and wipe-downs between washes.
    For stainless pipes - Compound 302.
    One thing I just discovered recently is McGuires Ultimate wheel cleaner. My daily driver wheels were looking bad no matter what I did. I was thinking that they needed to be repainted. I tried this, and they look brand new.

Post Thanks / Like
    First time my roadster got washed, was while it was still in gel-coat, soon after I had it inspected, and put it on the road. I parked the car in a new housing development still under construction, to talk to a friend, who was also the foreman on the job site. Because there were large trucks coming and going, I parked it completely off the road on a level grassy spot.
    After yacking to my buddy for 15-20 minutes, I get back to the car, to find that an underground sprinkler was merrily spraying water all over, and inside, the roadster. The carpeting, dash, etc, were soaking wet, and both seats had nice puddles sitting in them. Apparently the system was on a timer, and I had picked the perfect spot and time, for that particular zone..grrrrr.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't use water on my race car so I use Meguiars Waterless Wash & Wax and their Ultimate Quick Detailer on everyting; paint, aluminum, polycarbonate windows -- everything!
    These products work great.

For those hard to remove bugs I use Pledge first before the waterless wash. It's what we used on aircraft when I was a SAR pilot (flying low & slow in the mountains you tend to hit a lot of bugs).
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

8. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    3 years. 10,000 miles & never been washed. Use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer & Outlast Brake Dust Repellent on wheels.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Wash??

Post Thanks / Like
    After washing and drying I use Race Glaze gloss enhancement it does a great job and removes bugs, road grime and tar
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Never washed mine.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever seen the videos of people using a power washer for the inside of their cars...so funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q3rRvZ484E

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a friend that took his 70 something T-Bird to a DIY spray car wash. A 10 inch round chunk of paint blew off of the front fender just in front of the door. Believe it or not, it stayed in one piece and he glued it back on.

I cringe when I see people using power washers on their cars. I guess it is OK if you use the right nozzle, but getting aggressive on that one last bug could cost you.