Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Holley Sniper vs FiTech by wallace18.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Holley Sniper vs FiTech by wallace18.

Ok here is what I went through the last 3 days. I am building an MK4 for a customer who bought a 427 engine/transmission package from Blueprint. See build thread link below. I installed everything and had a terrible time getting the engine to start and run at idle. I ended up reprogramming the Sniper from scratch. Finally got it to idle somewhat decent and take the gas good. I went to install the Cobra air cleaner Blueprint supplied and the engine shut off. Take the air cleaner base off and the engine would start only if you gave it 1/4 throttle. Multiple phone calls and emails including a video of what is happening to Blueprint later they had me rewire everything differently then I normally do. This is my 14th FFR kit. To make a long story short I decided to buy a 600HP FiTech unit and install it instead of the sniper. In 5 minutes I had the engine running perfect and with the air cleaner on. Evidently the Sniper is very touchy about RF interference. The air cleaner base was a big RF antenna to the Sniper unit. No such problems with the FiTech unit. Did I get a bad Sniper? Who knows for sure, even the experts are puzzled on this one. I can tell you from my experience the FiTech is so much easier in every way to me. I am sure some will have to say the love their Sniper. Not me, LOL. I will say Blueprint tried their best to help out but it is hard to fix this stuff over the phone. I was looking at the data from the Sniper and it was always something different. Just my 2 cents worth on this subject. Here is the video of the shut off.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...d-by-wallace18

Last edited by wallace18; 05-16-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spell

2. Thanks erlihemi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. I still haven't resolved my Sniper/HyperSpark issues yet. First response from Holley Tech Support was related to RF noise pickup. Will see where it goes and who long it takes to diagnose. Are any of the FiTech cables shielded? The Hyperspark distributor to Sniper cable is definitely not, not sure about the others...
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Yeah. I still haven't resolved my Sniper/HyperSpark issues yet. First response from Holley Tech Support was related to RF noise pickup. Will see where it goes and who long it takes to diagnose. Are any of the FiTech cables shielded? The Hyperspark distributor to Sniper cable is definitely not, not sure about the others...
    Not sure if they are shielded or not.I can tell you on my 35 hot rod p/u I have a coil wire from the firewall to the distributer laying right next to the FiTech wires and no issues at all. If I had to guess they are shielded.

Post Thanks / Like
    I,m currently building a Gen 2 Coupe with 408W Sniper engine purchased from Engine Factory in New Jersey. Not at point in build to start engine but engine can be seen on You Tube running after built. Search You Tube and type in "408 Sniper" and engine can be seen running through test. Regards Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR3296 View Post
    I,m currently building a Gen 2 Coupe with 408W Sniper engine purchased from Engine Factory in New Jersey. Not at point in build to start engine but engine can be seen on You Tube running after built. Search You Tube and type in "408 Sniper" and engine can be seen running through test. Regards Bill
    I saw the 408 on you tube had no air cleaner on it. In 2017 in the Holley forum there is a reference to the sniper shutting off every time with a oval air cleaner. Kinda makes me think my deal is not a one time thing. I do hope your engine runs fine with the air cleaner on. Note. Mine ran with the oval facing sideways, but not front to back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had RF interference issues with my Sniper, too. I've needed to make sure that all the sensor wires such as the coolant temperature, O2, etc. are as far away from the distributor and MSD ignition wires as possible.
    Mk 1.5, 347 with Sniper EFI, T-5, 3-Link with VPM Rear Sway Bar, Power Steering with Hydraboost Brakes, Under Car Exhaust, SAI Mod, Rear Fender Flares, Dropped Trunk Mod, ... (Sold September 2019)

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had a single bit of RF issue with my QuickFuel carb.

Seriously, I know one person that loves his FiTech and one the hates it. I guess it is very dependent on the engine specs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like EFI systems are all subject to individual experience (far too many variables involved). My BPE 347 shipped with the FAST XFI Street system. I couldn't get it dialed in at all. I eventually swapped over to the Holley Sniper and have had no issues since.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    RF interference is an issue with the fitech as well. Usually shows up as 58000rpm on data or on the handheld. I have one available with many extra replacement parts that i ran for a few thousand miles but have gone back to the quick fuel, call me old school. Worked fine just wasnt my thing