BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fast turn signal

Post Thanks / Like

Fast turn signal

Ran into a odd issue I noticed the other day and I don’t know how long it’s been going on (car has almost 500 miles now). When driving and when I apply the turn signal it blinks two times at a normal pace then blinks quickly almost like a bulb is out but all the bulbs work. With the engine off it’s fine and from time to time I can get it to blink normal when running. My first thought is a bad blinker relay since the bulbs are good and the wiring is fine. Has any one else had this issue. Going to try to trouble shoot it this weekend. But I would like to know if this is a somewhat common issue.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    P.s. I’m using a Russ Thompson turn signal running to a relay.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the hazards do the same? Try swapping the flashers between the two and see what happens.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't recall anyone ever posting a problem like that, so can't say it's a common problem. Agreed try swapping the flashers in the panel and see if it's the same. Those are really cheap parts if you need to replace. Curious why you added a relay to the turn signal circuit. The flasher is already providing that function. Russ Thompson turn signal or not.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm wondering WHAT you mean by a "relay" in the turn signal circuit. Normally, there doesn't need to be any relays in the TS wiring.

That being said, have two [special purpose] relays in my TS circuit, but they are there to make my rear tail lights function differently then most builders set up their cars with - both upper and lower come on for brakes and are not affected by TS function(s). But that's me.

I would look for a loose wire or one that is maybe shorting to ground. TS flashers are "current" sensitive and will flash at a higher rate when there is a larger load pulling against them. The newer "electronic" type flashers (used with LED's) will flash faster if a bulb is going out or is [already] out. Check your bulb sockets for water damage, corrosion can add resistance to the circuit causing faster blinking.

HTH

Dco
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry what I meant was turn signal relay, and the car has never seen water and I’ve checked for corrosion and all is good.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 05-18-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check your grounds. Start with the relay and the work out to the bulbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found it, the flasher relay is no good. Kinda annoying considering it’s new.