FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Install Blue Print 383 with 700 r4 trans tomorrow. Any advice or problems to avoid?

Post Thanks / Like

Install Blue Print 383 with 700 r4 trans tomorrow. Any advice or problems to avoid?

I'm installing this engine and transmission tomorrow and I could use some advice about the install, wiring and fuel pump placement. It's the 383 with the Holley Sniper EFI. I know you can plum the fuel lines in either front or back. Which is better? I think back so I can run the fuel hard lines up the fire wall. How did some of you do it?

I'm not sure where to mount the filters and pump. In build school they just mounted them on the 1 1/5" between the fuel tank and drivers compartment. Is there a better location?

The 700 R4 is from TCI. their instructions state fill the converter with one quart of fluid. Two different people from Blue Print have different opinions about this. One said to do it. The other said it's OK to not to do it. What did you do? Any suggestions?

I should have asked these questions eiler but you know how it is.

Cliff
    '33 Hot Rod Chassis #1118, Gen 2, hard top, bike fenders, AC, electric steering. BluePrint Engines Chevy 383 Fuel Injected with the 700R4 transmission 8.8" rear 3.55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuel pump and filter, if your using an electric pump the closer to the tank and below it is better.
    Yes, put some trans fluid in the converter, not sure you can get a quart into it with it running out when you mate it into the tranny. Make sure you get the cutouts in the tube to mate with the tabs on the tranny oil pump when you slide the converter into the tranny to avoid damaging the tranny oil pump like I did.
    My GM converter directions said to add 6 oz.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, put oil in the converter before mating it with the trans and like JimLev said, make sure the pump drive notches are aligned and seated before mating the trans with the engine. Also like stated above, mount the pump as close as practical to the tank with the inlet at or slightly below the lowest fuel level. As for the filters, mount them in an easy place to service them. Filters are typically cylindrical with the fittings centered on each end. You will often see them mounted horizontally but they tend to trap air in this orientation. Not so much a problem on the pressure side but on the suction side it's better to mount them with the fittings vertical. Trapping air in the filter can create problems with the pump sucking air rather than fuel making it hard to prime.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I found, in the paper work that came with the engine/trans, in the Pre-Drive Checklist that the box next to the line "Add 1 Quart of fluid to the converter" was checked. I bought my engine and trans from Blue Print Engines. It came assembled. Converter and trans attached to the engine. I have a message into TCI. The maker of the trans to verify that when it was assembled it had the fluid put in the converter.

Thanks for the info about the input filter being mounted vertically. I will definitely do it that way when the time comes.
    '33 Hot Rod Chassis #1118, Gen 2, hard top, bike fenders, AC, electric steering. BluePrint Engines Chevy 383 Fuel Injected with the 700R4 transmission 8.8" rear 3.55.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was all assembled when you got it you should be OK. Just make sure to check the fluid level in the tranny before you start it and just after you start it.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    do you have a level to check it with?
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    here is where I mounted the pump and filter, pics are taken from the rear and passenger rear quarter. Used a piece of angle iron to wrap some hose clamps around etc...

IMG_2841a.jpg IMG_2842a.jpg

Note the battery is not the correct size and is just sitting in the rear of the passenger compartment while I debug the wiring and get the engine running properly
    Last edited by FF33rod; 05-18-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Routing the fuel lines is not a slam dunk. In my initial setup I had the regulator on the firewall over the headers. The heat soak would come in and boil the fuel. I did not use the standard exhaust so I routed the fuel line up the center of the car and came out in the rear behind the motor but between the heads. You might consider that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Routing the fuel lines is not a slam dunk. In my initial setup I had the regulator on the firewall over the headers. The heat soak would come in and boil the fuel. I did not use the standard exhaust so I routed the fuel line up the center of the car and came out in the rear behind the motor but between the heads. You might consider that.
    Good point. I was going to run the fuel line on the passenger side up the firewall. That's where you had your regulator. The only other way would be old school and run it to the front of the motor where it use to be. It still would have to run past the headers. I'll see how much clearance with the headers when I put them on tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are going to love the header fitment too. We had to do some fab on the recommended sbc units

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran it up the pass side of the firewall and mounted the regulator up high.
    I used some heat shielding on both sides of the headers to keep the fuel line, starter, and wires away from the heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    You dont need a regulator with the Sniper, its built in
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope that 700R4 tranny is a newer one. The early ones, pre-93, were junk.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I hope that 700R4 tranny is a newer one. The early ones, pre-93, were junk.
    It's from TCI and I understand they are good transmissions and it's guaranteed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your advise, comments. It's in. Look at post #26 from my build link here https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ld-in-Virginia