Miller Customs

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Michigan registration requirements

Post Thanks / Like

Michigan registration requirements

Iíve been reviewing the Michigan inspection sheet TR-54.
    Bumpers are required?
    Windshield wipers?
    Who has been through this in Michigan?
    - Peter

Peterh226. #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Delivered 4/14/2019.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peterh226 View Post
    Iíve been reviewing the Michigan inspection sheet TR-54.
    Bumpers are required?
    Windshield wipers?
    Who has been through this in Michigan?
    I've gone through it three times and hopefully not too much longer will go for number four. Yes, a law enforcement officer is supposed to check your build against that list. How thorough will it be? Depends on the officer. I've run the gamut from checking each item in detail to basically not even looking at the car. The officer looked over his shoulder at the car while standing at my workbench checking paperwork. Said, "Looks nice. Did you do it yourself?" I said yes. Officer says "Everything works?" I said yes, which was the truth. He completed the form without any further questions. If actually inspected, bumpers will probably get some leeway. Wipers, likely not. I've never tried to go without. I had to talk my way out of the washers one time. Fortunately he checked the box. Don't even think about taking the form to the SOS office without every box checked and the form signed. What I've found goes a long with the process is print out the instructions from the website, study it carefully, and have everything ready exactly like it describes. Original receipts, the statement of origin from Factory Five, a written statement describing the build, etc. Make copies ahead of time because you won't get any of the paperwork back.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-17-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
    Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. #7750 Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. #8674 Build Thread
    Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017. #59 Coupe Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Wipers I’m ok with as I’ll have a driver with the top. I’m most concerned about bumpers since the 33 doesn’t have anything like the quick jack points that might pass as a bumper. Anyone registered a 33? I have some police buddies that will help, but the bumper checkbox is pretty basic.

Time to read the full documents..
    - Peter

Peterh226. #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Delivered 4/14/2019.