FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Leaky Diff

Post Thanks / Like

Leaky Diff

I had my diff built by a local manufacturer (very reputable) last November. The invoice listed all they did which included filled it with gear oil. I know I should have checked this prior to installing it but I didn't. While I was going through the checks prior to the first go-karting session, I checked the fluid and it was bone dry. Pumped in the required 2 L of oil and replaced the fill plug. Went through the go-kart runs and noticed that the diff leaks. I contacted the manufacturer and after back and forth emails, he had this to say.
    "Daryl,
    My sincere apologies.
    Unfortunately since November none of my staff can not remember the actual particulars of that build and pickup.
    But seek comfort in knowing this will NOT happen again to anyone. I have instituted several measures to insure every sealed unit that goes out of here is filled with the correct fluid.
    This is the first unit in 20 years that a unit has not been filled with fluid. That was my son!
    Good thing you did your due diligence in checking the level prior to installation.
    Stop by the shop sometime when I am here and we will remove and replace the diff cover and change the oil and extend the warranty one year from that date.
    Many thanks for letting us know."

and when I told them that the bolts were not fully tightened AND there was no sealant on the cover, I got this back.
    "Daryl,
    We all have been scratching our heads how this happened.
    Was there any sealant (silicone) between the cover and the diff case?
    It looks to us like we may have not sealed the cover and left the bolts loose because the C clips axles were coming out again to do some disc brake work?
    Which is often the case with our custom builds, when a client is suppling his own brakes.
    What do you think?"

After fully tightening the bolts it still leaked, just not as bad. Their response to this was:
    "Daryl,
    Bring her in, we’ll fix it.
    XXX 988 6815."

Needless to say, I won't be returning it to them and I will drain it and replace the cover with a new gasket and sealant.
    This is just a reminder that no matter how highly rated some company's might be - check and verify.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would return it to them in the car and have them complete the repair as they stated and also inspect the install. and extend the warranty

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by acmikee View Post
    I would return it to them in the car and have them complete the repair as they stated and also inspect the install. and extend the warranty
    Yeah, I know. But they are about 45 minutes away in city traffic and the roadster isn't ready for that yet. Also we are going away for a few weeks so it would be sometime in July. I would rather just do it myself as I would be suspect on anything they did.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope they remembered to put the c clips and retainer bolt back in. Did you check to see if the bolt was in, and not sheared off?
    Maybe whoever was working on it still had to finish something internally, or noticed something was clicking, or grinding, and wanted to investigate further?

I'd sure take them up on their offer to extend the warranty.
    Was this IWE?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I hope they remembered to put the c clips and retainer bolt back in. Did you check to see if the bolt was in, and not sheared off?
    Maybe whoever was working on it still had to finish something internally, or noticed something was clicking, or grinding, and wanted to investigate further?

Was this IWE?
    Hi Bill,
    No, the owner said
    "It looks to us like we may have not sealed the cover and left the bolts loose because the C clips axles were coming out again to do some disc brake work? Which is often the case with our custom builds, when a client is supplying his own brakes."

That said even though I told them that I would be adding the brakes in my garage.
    The indecisive part for me is this is dripping on the garage floor or driveway, if it is out there. If I drain it and leave it until I can take it to them (mid-July probably) than I can't drive it around for checking things.
    That is why I probably will just do it myself - besides, I never like other people who don't know the cars handle them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post

Was this IWE?
    Yes it was IWE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well IWE is a pretty reputable shop.
    Tell them that you will bring it in when the car is built, and can be driven. Surely they don't expect you to transport the vehicle all the way there, and back, at your expense?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a similar issue. I ordered the complete kit (including the rear end from Moser). I got the rear end long before the car but never messed with it until it was time to put it in. After filling it with gear oil I noticed it would drip about every few days. I can't be sure, but the warmer it has gotten outside the more often the drip mark seems to grow.

I haven't done anything to it besides try to figure out where the drip is coming from. I believe it to be the gasket around the cover but the leak is so slow I haven't been able to figure out where. I guess I could just replace the cover and gasket, but dang - I bought it the way I did so I wouldn't have to mess with it.

I haven't yet, but plan to contact Moser soon and ask them what they can do.. but unless they have a traveling tech support crew, I think I'm going to be bummed out.