Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Will this power steering pump position be a problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Will this power steering pump position be a problem?

I got my modified power steering pump bracket back from the welder and mounted it with the stock Fox pump with internal reservoir. Is the angle going to cause leaks? (Especially in right turns!) I also have a different pump housing that uses an external reservoir but the plumbing is vastly more complicated so I'd like to keep things simple...er.

Thanks!
    Shack

P.S. I had to rotate the pump to clear Richard's AC compressor bracket that is directly above.

P.P.S. Not sure if it makes a difference but this is for a hydroboost setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shackf16; 05-18-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shackf16 View Post
    ...Is the angle going to cause leaks?
    I suspect it will since the original orientation is with the tubular portion completely vertical.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Kleiner. If you have a brand new cap with a good seal on the cap O-ring it may be OK. Not sure if I would want it at that angle long term though.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    I'm with Kleiner. If you have a brand new cap with a good seal on the cap O-ring it may be OK. Not sure if I would want it at that angle long term though.
    But the caps have a small vent hole and even with a good O-ring seal I could see fluid getting pushed out.

Jeff

5. Thanks frankeeski thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to bet that's going to be a problem.

7. Thanks frankeeski thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Without seeing the pump/reservoir, is there any chance the reservoir will clock on the pump? Some of the older combo's seemed to have a loose reservoir.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't look that far off from the original mounting angle to me.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a way to fix this, if you have the hood room.
    Cut off the fill tube in the middle.
    Locate a radiator hose with a bend in it that has the right diameter and bend.
    Splice the section of radiator hose in between the fill tube sections, orienting the upper fill tube section to the vertical.
    Remember when parts places had hoses and belts hanging on the wall?

11. Likes Railroad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    There is a way to fix this, if you have the hood room.
    Cut off the fill tube in the middle.
    Locate a radiator hose with a bend in it that has the right diameter and bend.
    Splice the section of radiator hose in between the fill tube sections, orienting the upper fill tube section to the vertical.
    Remember when parts places had hoses and belts hanging on the wall?
    I was about to say similar because autocrossers used to lengthen that tube the same way even in the stock orientation. My only concern is using radiator hose for hot oil. You might want to look at silicone hosing that is very popular w/ turbo guys. I think you will find bends available and I think silicone will be OK w/ hot oil.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Might hold fluid . . . . . . . until you make that first, sweeping right turn at speed.

I'd check to see if the tank can be rotated on the pump housing. Early models could be . . .

FWIW, I don't think radiator hose will hold up to PS fluid for long, don't ask me how I know this.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Several Fords had them at that angle from the factory. I'm not saying that it was a good idea though.

I was losing a little fluid on road courses on hard right turns. What I used is marine fuel filler hose. Stiff, heavy duty, and chemical resistant. You cut the filler neck about half way, put the fuel filler hose on, push the top part of the neck and cap in and clamp them down. I have never had an issue since. Apparently that fix came form the Roush Racing Mustangs. Of course a 45* bend would be a good idea.