BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Broken Water Temperature Sensor

Post Thanks / Like

Broken Water Temperature Sensor

Well, put me in with the group who've had the stem snap on the temperature sensor. I was trying to move the wire over to avoid heat sources, so I went to loosen the nut, and it came off with the threaded stud.
    I had read how fragile these things were so I thought I had made sure not to overtighten, but it's kind of ridiculous how brittle they are. Speedhut really needs to revisit the design.
    Sorry, just frustrated, and had to vent a little. Three steps forward, two steps back.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    Well, put me in with the group who've had the stem snap on the temperature sensor. I was trying to move the wire over to avoid heat sources, so I went to loosen the nut, and it came off with the threaded stud.
    I had read how fragile these things were so I thought I had made sure not to overtighten, but it's kind of ridiculous how brittle they are. Speedhut really needs to revisit the design.
    Sorry, just frustrated, and had to vent a little. Three steps forward, two steps back.
    I'm assuming you mean the oil pressure sender. The water temp sensor has a plug (not threaded studs) and isn't fragile based on my experience or what I've seen from others. Agreed those studs on the oil pressure sender are easy to damage though. I too managed to break one. FWIW, I'm wondering if Speedhut addressed this. The sender that came with the gauge set for my Coupe, now a little over a year ago, is a slightly difference design and appears to be a little more robust. You might check on that when ordering a replacement.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, no it was the water temperature sensor for the gauge. Just a stem that fits into the adapter plug, with a small threaded stem coming out the top where the wire connects. Sucker snapped right off. There were maybe three threads left, so I was able to barely catch the nut to hold the wire on until I get a new sensor. I bought the gauge set back at the end on 2013, so they may have made some changes. I did notice on their site that the oil pressure sensor was slightly different than the one I received with my gauges.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    Paul, no it was the water temperature sensor for the gauge. Just a stem that fits into the adapter plug, with a small threaded stem coming out the top where the wire connects. Sucker snapped right off. There were maybe three threads left, so I was able to barely catch the nut to hold the wire on until I get a new sensor. I bought the gauge set back at the end on 2013, so they may have made some changes. I did notice on their site that the oil pressure sensor was slightly different than the one I received with my gauges.
    OK. Gotcha. By your description sounded like the oil pressure gauge. I haven't seen a water temp gauge like you're describing.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.