Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Clutch pedal interference question

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch pedal interference question

Sorry for the cross-post. I put this in my build thread but I'm pretty stumped so I thought I'd post it as a separate question. I've been working on the Wilwood pedal box today, and I've run into a bit of a surprise that I'd love some input on. The clutch pedal appears to be hitting the 3/4" tube and not able to extend fully to the back of the footbox. I'd read about this issue in many older build threads but was under the impression that this issue had been resolved on the newer frames, so I'm a bit surprised to run into this. I don't see how I can adjust anything (or have installed anything incorrectly to have caused this), so I'm a bit confused at the moment. The clutch pedal, when fully depressed to the point that it's hitting the 3/4" frame member, is still ~9/16" away from the footbox back. Is that "close enough" or do I need to do something here to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
    John

The footbox sheetmetal is tight to the thick plate behind it:

Both support brackets are in position properly, per the instructions:

Here you can see where the pedal is hitting the 3/4" tube:

Here you can see how far the pedal is from the footbox wall:
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    John

I have an older mkiv and I had to use a large c-clamp to egg the 3/4 tube so that the clutch pedal would clear the tube

I think that it would be better for the pedal to go all the way down without hitting the 3/4 tube because it is going to stop the pedal travel every time you use the clutch and may cause damage to the clutch pedal mechanism

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I read that older chassis' had such an issue that the pedal (or frame) needed a major notch to achieve full travel. Not sure why your's has interference.

I have MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17 and didn't have this problem. (Was told the chassis was modified late 2016 to resolve this issue).
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 9026 and I believe it would hit the frame before it got to the footbox front, like yours, but I still had to build a pedal stop as the clutch didn’t have that much travel.
    What clutch setup are you using? Looking at your pics I’m assuming hydraulic. I have Fortes’s hydraulic setup.

Either way I wouldn’t worry, I think the pedal will have more than enough travel to release the clutch before it hits the frame, and you’ll probably want to make some kind of pedal stop so you don’t over extend the slave cylinder, not sure on cable systems, if they need a stop or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have more than enough pedal travel as is. I am 6' tall and I can not push my pedal all the way to the foot box while seat belted in.

I have the older Mk4 and with the pedal notch I still can not get as far back as yours.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    You definitely don't need the clutch pedal to go all the way to the foot box wall. I actually had to adjust my pedal back to align with the brake pedal and still have plenty of travel.

Last edited by Papa; 05-19-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    It is fine as is.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, well... not that I don't trust all of you but being the OCD sort that I am I couldn't leave this unaddressed. I also figured that I'd much rather deal with it now than later when I've got panels and whatnot in the way. The interference didn't look *too* bad, so I decided that clearancing the pedal was the easiest way to deal with the issue. It turns out that I didn't have to remove as much material as I'd feared... just a little haircut on the webbing on the one side with the angle grinder and a carbide bit, and now the pedal goes all the way to the back wall with no issue. I'll throw some POR15 on there next time I have the can open, and call it good enough. The comments on not wanting the pedal go that far back and installing a pedal stop are all appreciated and I will definitely plan to install a pedal stop. I just didn't want the 3/4" tube to be the pedal stop.

Thanks,
    John

MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    MK-4 #8515 Had The Same Issue So Our Solutions Are The Same!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-19-2019 at 09:25 PM.

10. Likes JohnK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're doing a clutch pedal stop, here's my clutch pedal stop/throttle pedal stop assembly. The carriage bolt for the throttle rests on the pedal arm, but the carriage bolt for the clutch rests on the back side of the actual pedal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 05-19-2019 at 11:29 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Thank you.