Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk II 15” rear tires

Post Thanks / Like

Mk II 15” rear tires

Has anyone used these with success on a Mk II,Solid axle?
    My Goodrich 275/50/15’s are done. No room for the 295’s.

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...3AOrderItemAdd

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the years I have seen many recommendations for those tires. I quite often mention them in threads like yours. But I have no personal experience w/ them.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an IRS (sorry not solid axle) on my Mk2 and I just installed the M/T ET Street 275 with success, love them so far!

You can compare the dimensions with the one you're looking, you will see these are similar, the ET seems slightly bigger in diameter but slightly narrower on section width.

The M/T ET Street: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTT-3451
    Tire Diameter: 26.42 in.
    Section Width: 11.10 in.
    Tread Width: 10.20 in.

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6654
    Tire Diameter: 26.10 in.
    Section Width: 12.00 in.
    Tread Width: 10.60 in.

4. Thanks idoxlr8 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Francky View Post
    I have an IRS (sorry not solid axle) on my Mk2 and I just installed the M/T ET Street 275 with success, love them so far!

You can compare the dimensions with the one you're looking, you will see these are similar, the ET seems slightly bigger in diameter but slightly narrower on section width.

The M/T ET Street: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTT-3451
    Tire Diameter: 26.42 in.
    Section Width: 11.10 in.
    Tread Width: 10.20 in.

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6654
    Tire Diameter: 26.10 in.
    Section Width: 12.00 in.
    Tread Width: 10.60 in.
    Good information, Thanks!

Are you happy with the sidewall stiffness? I can tolerate the short tread life but have some concerns about how these drag radials corner.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same issue with my MK 1 1/2 = 275/50 15 Goodrich’s are shot and no longer available. Is anyone running 295/50 15s with 1/4” or so spacers on these earlier cars?
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can find them a 255/60 fits the best on the MK I and II. 295s will rub. The MT in the thread will fit the IRS is almost required and although the 3 link helps the tires usually rub. The 255s are the same diameter as the 295s and look great, with no rub issues. JMHO

There a lot of variables, rim width is one, tire brand is another. We go by the FOGG rule. Fat Old Guys & Gas. If you fill the car with fuel and put two healthy men is the car does it rub, ever, bumps, dips, speed bumps etc? Also to us Rub is like pregnant, it rubs or doesn't PERIOD. None of this 'only rubs once in a while' stuff. We tend to be a bit conservative because of this. But we have never lost a tire due to rub. HTH, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running 295/50 Cooper Cobras with my solid axle on my Mk1. No rubbing and no issues.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Oben View Post
    If you can find them a 255/60 fits the best on the MK I and II. 295s will rub. The MT in the thread will fit the IRS is almost required and although the 3 link helps the tires usually rub. The 255s are the same diameter as the 295s and look great, with no rub issues. JMHO

There a lot of variables, rim width is one, tire brand is another. We go by the FOGG rule. Fat Old Guys & Gas. If you fill the car with fuel and put two healthy men is the car does it rub, ever, bumps, dips, speed bumps etc? Also to us Rub is like pregnant, it rubs or doesn't PERIOD. None of this 'only rubs once in a while' stuff. We tend to be a bit conservative because of this. But we have never lost a tire due to rub. HTH, Richard.
    Thanks for the input Richard.
    Bought my Team 3’s from you 15 years ago....Jesus time flies.
    Have 255/50/15’s on my fronts and have never had any issues....too skinny for the back IMHO, but I hear you on the rubbing issues. I’ve never had issues with the 275/50/15’s on the rears maybe the 3 link helps?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the SR's but didn't like the way they drove. In my opinion they are kind'a "chunky or blocky". I don't know how else to describe them. They just didn't "roll" nice and smooth. Maybe they are fine on a heavier car but I didn't care for them. I had the 26 x 12" on the back and the 26 x 10 on the front. Took them off and went with Cooper Cobras. 295's on the back. I have old Team III wheels and I run about a 1/4" spacer on the rear. I also have the old first generation 3 link (2002 manufacture time). Those had an issue running 15" wheels. The lower brackets would interfere with the inside of the wheels. I had to cut and reweld them. They worked fine for 17" as they were designed for the early Spec Racers but not good for 15". FF fixed that on later cars. I had BFG originally and now the Coopers. Traction is not stellar but they drive much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Powell View Post
    I had the SR's but didn't like the way they drove. In my opinion they are kind'a "chunky or blocky". I don't know how else to describe them. They just didn't "roll" nice and smooth. Maybe they are fine on a heavier car but I didn't care for them. I had the 26 x 12" on the back and the 26 x 10 on the front. Took them off and went with Cooper Cobras. 295's on the back. I have old Team III wheels and I run about a 1/4" spacer on the rear. I also have the old first generation 3 link (2002 manufacture time). Those had an issue running 15" wheels. The lower brackets would interfere with the inside of the wheels. I had to cut and reweld them. They worked fine for 17" as they were designed for the early Spec Racers but not good for 15". FF fixed that on later cars. I had BFG originally and now the Coopers. Traction is not stellar but they drive much better.
    Steve,

We’re you running the BFG 275’s or the 295’s when you had them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
    Good information, Thanks!

Are you happy with the sidewall stiffness? I can tolerate the short tread life but have some concerns about how these drag radials corner.
    I drive the car quite gently, so I'm probably not the best one to tell you about hard corners.
    But they do feel extremely well on the few corners I took... mind you my previous tires were 17" but also 17 year old!!!!!
    They are so conformable, stick to the road like no tomorrow... very happy with them so far

Post Thanks / Like
    I was running 275 BFG's before they quit making them. I have 295 Cooper's on now. Yes they will occasionally "touch" somewhere if the car is loaded with two people and luggage and full of fuel and you run over a big dip. (As suggested by Mr. Oben).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post
    I'm running 295/50 Cooper Cobras with my solid axle on my Mk1. No rubbing and no issues.
    Mark, are you running spacers with these tires? I only have ~1/4” on the left side between my 275/50 15 Radial T/A’s and the quad shock. 295/50’s would rub there unless I added an 8mm spacer. Body side clearance looks ok which your note confirms.
    BTW, should have car back with new BluePrint long block in about two weeks.
    Phil
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ptstew View Post
    Mark, are you running spacers with these tires? I only have ~1/4” on the left side between my 275/50 15 Radial T/A’s and the quad shock. 295/50’s would rub there unless I added an 8mm spacer. Body side clearance looks ok which your note confirms.
    No spacers.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ptstew View Post
    BTW, should have car back with new BluePrint long block in about two weeks.
    Phil
    Try mounting the quad shock reversed from how it is now. Or remove them. On my MkI per G Levy, I ran the FFR lowers w/ the plastic bushings and Ford Motorsport uppers. They had rubber bushings but it was a stiffer design/material than standard uppers. It would hop if I tried to do burnouts so I just didn't.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Try mounting the quad shock reversed from how it is now. Or remove them. On my MkI per G Levy, I ran the FFR lowers w/ the plastic bushings and Ford Motorsport uppers. They had rubber bushings but it was a stiffer design/material than standard uppers. It would hop if I tried to do burnouts so I just didn't.
    Thanks. I’ll check to see if reversing the shock helps.