BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Lift and balance

Post Thanks / Like

Lift and balance

With the arrival of my 33 being imminent, I’ve been restructuring my garage for the project. I already own a mid rise scissor lift which has been the long term home for a bunch of projects. I figured I would save my back and build the car on the lift.

My question is simple. Where does the car balance? Does the pinched nose of the frame cause problems on a lift?

814295B8-27DE-44AC-81D3-9A92A8EB32D2.jpg
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The balance will change as the assembly progresses. The CG on a finished car should come close to a point midway between the front and rear axles. My finished car CG is 55.5" from the rear axle center line at race weight with me in the car, your mileage may vary...
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

3. Likes Cobra Ray liked this post
    EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen the new frame design, I heard they eliminated some of the cross bracing and are using a composite floor for more room for exhaust so it will be interesting to see what you have show up.

That all being said, I found the balance point fairly far forward. The frame angles up at the firewall so if you put a jack stands there where it's flat, it can get tippy if you remove the rear axle. I've gone so far as to put a floor jack under the nose if i'm working on the rear suspension to keep the rear end down on the stands at the rear of the frame. I did use a scissor lift at times during the build but with a majority of the car assembled.

So to summarize, your lift should work great just be wary when you install the engine there's enough counter weight in the rear.