Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Carpet Glue

Post Thanks / Like

Carpet Glue

Tomorrow is carpeting day. (standard issue FFR carpeting + whatever I find for the trunk later today). I'm mounting it on top of Cool It Thermo Tec.
    I've been reading a number of carpeting threads and it seems that some use the 3M product and some use silicone. Left to my own devices, I'd probably go with the 3M77 as that's what the manual suggests.

I have both on hand. Any strong opinions either way? Any other valuable "lessons learned"?
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Did the FFR carpet over Thermo Tec. Used 3M 90 spray adhesive. 10K miles DD & no separation. Also used 3M 90 on the dash, console & transmission cover.

Not sure but IIRC the 90 has better resistance to heat then the 77.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditch the 77 and get the 90. You will need at least 4 cans.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did my carpet a few months ago. I like silicon because it gives you a chance to move the carpet around. With the glue, there was a limited opportunity to move it around.
    Steve

FFR #8305; IRS, 347; T5 Trans; EFI, 3.27 Rear; 17x9" Front; 17x10.5" Rear
    Paint - Ford Magnetic Metallic Gray (J7) with Black Stripes; Painted by "da Bat"
    Complete Kit Delivered 05/15/2014; Titled and Registered 4/14/2017 as a 1965!!

Post Thanks / Like
    3M77 or 90. Easy to apply to the carpet pieces and then put the carpet in place. You can also remove it and reposition it if you need to while the adhesive is still tacky. Even after the glue dries, you can get the carpet off if you need to and simply reapply adhesive to put it back down.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

6. Likes BEAR-AvHistory liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had good experiences using 77 on both surfaces. If your cockpit insulation isn't black pick up a can of spray paint and shoot all of the inside corners and places where the carpet pieces meet so that any small gaps will be pretty much hidden:

Wear nitrile gloves!!! If you don't your hands will be covered in black fur

Jeff

cockpitpaint.jpg

8. Likes Straversi, BEAR-AvHistory liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only finished a few months ago with the carpet in mine. so, I can't comment on the longevity of my method.. but.. I used indoor/outdoor double-sided carpet tape from Home Depot. Think I needed about 8-9 boxes of the stuff.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-...5-12/204470902

No mess and schmoo everywhere. I'm pretty pleased with how it has turned out so far. But, only time will tell if it stands up. Optimistically, I think if I have to replace any part of my carpet, this method will be easier to remove compared to glue. It's supposed to soften up enough with heat to be removed. But.. won't know until that day comes. Warning though.. similar to Contact Glue, the carpet is not really re-positionable once stuck down. Any attempt to pull the carpet back up, pulls the black fibers right through the backing. So.. good aim matters!!
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    I used almost a full gallon of DAP Wellwood Contact Adhesive intended for vinyl landau tops. I did the dash, cabin and trunk with it. Caution, it is very tacky and you have just seconds to get the piece in place. The driver's footbox was particularly challenging. Results are terrific. The stuff can tolerate high heat. I figured if it can resist all that is thrown at it on the roof of a car it must be OK. I brushed it on.
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used weldwood jell. It doesn’t run as it’s applied with a brush so no overspray and it’s solid as can be when set up. Plus it’s not as expensive as the spray can stuff.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 05-22-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Second Wildwood adhesive. No messy overspray, and you can apply it to sections of the carpet as you go, thus being able to 'roll' the carpet into place on those tough spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecobr View Post
    I used almost a full gallon of DAP Wellwood Contact Adhesive intended for vinyl landau tops. I did the dash, cabin and trunk with it. Caution, it is very tacky and you have just seconds to get the piece in place. The driver's footbox was particularly challenging. Results are terrific. The stuff can tolerate high heat. I figured if it can resist all that is thrown at it on the roof of a car it must be OK. I brushed it on.
    TOTALLY AGREE that the driver's footbox is a real challenge in positioning the carpet pieces. The passenger footbox is not as bad but still has limited access.
    Steve

FFR #8305; IRS, 347; T5 Trans; EFI, 3.27 Rear; 17x9" Front; 17x10.5" Rear
    Paint - Ford Magnetic Metallic Gray (J7) with Black Stripes; Painted by "da Bat"
    Complete Kit Delivered 05/15/2014; Titled and Registered 4/14/2017 as a 1965!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, everyone! I'll post photos when it's complete.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I carpeted the outside panel of the footbox last as a separate piece. Did the inside pieces then riveted the carpeted outer panel on. Made the job pretty easy.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    For those that used silicone, how did you do it? I have an Koolmat from Mark at Breeze that has a silicone-based back, so I will need to use silicone to secure the carpet. Are you laying down beads and then placing carpet? If so, how close together are the beads? Are you laying down beads and then spreading out the silicone prior to placing the carpet?

I guess my question is how much and where to secure the FFR supplied carpet? Thanks!

--Nathan

Post Thanks / Like
    NAPA brand spray adhesive is about as close to upholstery gorilla snot in a can that you can get. I love the stuff....daBat……..and a paper bag and I'm good to go. TMI

18. Likes Mark Eaton, SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Use black silicone, no need to paint the corners black, clean the surface before applying.
    Spread the silicone, do not use beads or lines.
    Use a spreader, like used for bondo.
    Use the roller on the carpet, same as Cool Tec. Do not get silicone on the roller.
    The carpet will move, and can be lifted, if necessary.
    I have some tips for the trans tunnel and cover, if you are using the supplied carpet.
    Do the sides first, the floor last.
    Put the carpet out on a flat surface, let set, to get the wrinkles and folds out.
    I used bags of shot, on sheet metal and boards to hold the carpet down, until set. Bricks or weights will do the same. The spring loaded plastic clamps are good for holding the edges in place.
    If anything comes up, just holler.
    Last edited by Railroad; 05-22-2019 at 08:24 PM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

20. Thanks silver_pilate thanked for this post
    Likes silver_pilate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Use black silicone, no need to paint the corners black, clean the surface before applying.
    Spread the silicone, do not use beads or lines.
    Use a spreader, like used for bondo.
    Use the roller on the carpet, same as Cool Tec. Do not get silicone on the roller.
    The carpet will move, and can be lifted, if necessary.
    I have some tips for the trans tunnel and cover, if you are using the supplied carpet.
    Do the sides first, the floor last.
    Put the carpet out on a flat surface, let set, to get the wrinkles and folds out.
    If anything comes up, just holler.
    Great information. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_pilate View Post
    Great information. Thanks!
    I added a few more tips.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.