FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Go to place for valuable Coupe modifications?

Post Thanks / Like

Go to place for valuable Coupe modifications?

When i built the MKIV there were a lot of preconfigured / Pre-engineered modifications that could easily be purchased from a number of sites (Forte, **********, etc). While I know that some of these will also work on the Coupe, is there a goto site that specializes or at least identifies specific pieces/mods for the coupe?
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Not that I'm aware of. Whitby's had the power brake kit but with the Gen III that does not work anymore. With the gen III being fairly new its mostly up to the builder from what I can tell.

HTH,

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Russ Thompson and Boig Motorsports have a few things but, there is definitely not a main goto. I assume they just don't sell enough coupe kits to make it worthwhile.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Gordon Levy has some nice offerings for the coupe. Just ordered Wilwood front and rear brake kit from him. Can’t wait to install it!! http://lrclassicsllc.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I'd assumed that the volume was significantly lower, so not as much of a vendor market.
    I was hoping that was not the case, but figured I'd ask
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Any particular things you're looking for?

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Since there were so few original Daytona Coupes I thought I’d pick one of them to emulate (CSX2299 as #5, the class winner at Le Mans in 1964). I’ve looked for as many pictures of it as I could and have bought copies of most of the books that have good pics of them and as much info as I could find (the Brock/Stauffer/Friedman Daytona Coupe bible is THE book to have!!!). Some parts that used to be available that are no longer (like Russ Thompson’s slats and footbox vent) can be fabricated relatively easily but other details just take an eye to catch them and time with the body (like the shape of the vent holes on the sides of the nose, building a turkey pan around the carbs, or making a set of kidney-bean-shaped panels to cover the original brake vent holes on the rear panel of the car (if the one you’re copying even had them covered...). Anyway, like most will eventually say, it’s your car, build it the way YOU want it.

Good luck with your build!!
    George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5

Post Thanks / Like
    Great ideas all! I think that I found when I built the MKIV that I found a lot of good ideas by seeing what some of the vendors had as standard products which solved problems that other had previously. Foot box fans, Firewall forward, Windscreen mounted mirrors, cooling fan shroud, etc.... I was hoping to look at these same type of things for the Coupe. I'm not looking to spend $ foolishly, but I did learn on the MKIV that there are somethings that were a hassle, and a prebuilt solution saved a bunch of time and headaches. So what am I looking for? Things that I will not think about until I run into them, or until after the car is built that I wish I would have thought of...

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a number of Gen3 Coupe build threads (including mine FWIW) that I review and go back to regularly. I've been through all of them I think and bookmarked ideas, suggestions, etc. As has already been said, only a couple vendors are offering specific parts.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-28-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely understand. Your build and several others are outstanding... lots to learn and a ton of great ideas! You guys are the best!