Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Big night: engine is in

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Nathan!!!! Looking good!!!
    I’d like to make a comment on a couple of things that I think are really really cool. It’s so cool that you signed up in 2013 (and if your like me, and probably lots of others, you were lurking for a while before that) three years later you bought a kit and another 3 years your dropping in your motor!! You had a dream, you had a plan and now look where you are!! The other cool thing is your son. Basicly a baby at your sign up and now he’s helping his dad drop a motor into one of coolest cars of all time!! It’s pretty cool.... moving....

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    Congrats Nathan!!!! Looking good!!!
    I’d like to make a comment on a couple of things that I think are really really cool. It’s so cool that you signed up in 2013 (and if your like me, and probably lots of others, you were lurking for a while before that) three years later you bought a kit and another 3 years your dropping in your motor!! You had a dream, you had a plan and now look where you are!! The other cool thing is your son. Basicly a baby at your sign up and now he’s helping his dad drop a motor into one of coolest cars of all time!! It’s pretty cool.... moving....

Kurt
    Thanks, Kurt. It's been a long road. I've always wanted to build one of these. I made an agreement with my wife years back that I would divert a small percentage of my paycheck each month into a Cobra savings account. Lots and lots of impatient months later, and while collecting bits and parts along the way, I finally had enough to purchase the complete kit.

I started the build with delivery in April of 2016, and my son was 5. He loved playing with the clecos and helping with small things. Then my wife had complications with our second son, and the cobra went on hold after only 4 months of building. My youngest was born healthy in September that year, and the cobra has been waaaay back on the burners for the last several years with a baby, finishing my doctorate, and taking over loads of admin at work.

All this time, money has been trickling into savings for the motor, and I'm also in a place where I can get body work and paint with Jeff K when I get it running and tested.

I had planned on having it done a lot sooner, but life happens. It's getting closer, though, and I can feel momentum starting to build again.

Nathan