FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Big night: engine is in

Post Thanks / Like

Big night: engine is in

It really wasn't bad at all. A leveler is the only way to go if doing this by yourself. Took about 30 minutes to get the engine in, going really slowly. My 8 year old was able to help me out as the engine wanted to twist off line a bit; he was able to keep it pointed in the right direction. Background: MKIV started in April 2016 (3-link), Moser 8.8, Levy 408 and TKO600.

The transmission is pointed a bit to the passenger side right now, but thanks to some advice on the other forum, I'll be loosening everything and working to shift things around. From here I need to get the brake system bled, a new fuel line run to the mechanical pump, the cooling system in, and the gauges hooked up. Getting closer to first start.

2. Likes Gordon Levy, Boydster, Drezx6r, SSNK4US liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It Went Well Because You Had The Best Helper A Dad Could Ever Have!

Congratulations on this milestone!

4. Likes silver_pilate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    It Went Well Because You Had The Best Helper A Dad Could Ever Have!

Congratulations on this milestone!
    I'll second that. Congratulations on a significant milestone!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! I know how great I felt at this important milestone in the build. Your helper did a great job!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    It sure looks purty in your car!
    Mk4 Roadster #9054, 2001 Mustang GT donor, 4.6 SOHC engine, automatic transmission, ABS brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. It looks good. That’s awesome your kid helped.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Nathan!!!! Looking good!!!
    I’d like to make a comment on a couple of things that I think are really really cool. It’s so cool that you signed up in 2013 (and if your like me, and probably lots of others, you were lurking for a while before that) three years later you bought a kit and another 3 years your dropping in your motor!! You had a dream, you had a plan and now look where you are!! The other cool thing is your son. Basicly a baby at your sign up and now he’s helping his dad drop a motor into one of coolest cars of all time!! It’s pretty cool.... moving....

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    Congrats Nathan!!!! Looking good!!!
    I’d like to make a comment on a couple of things that I think are really really cool. It’s so cool that you signed up in 2013 (and if your like me, and probably lots of others, you were lurking for a while before that) three years later you bought a kit and another 3 years your dropping in your motor!! You had a dream, you had a plan and now look where you are!! The other cool thing is your son. Basicly a baby at your sign up and now he’s helping his dad drop a motor into one of coolest cars of all time!! It’s pretty cool.... moving....

Kurt
    Thanks, Kurt. It's been a long road. I've always wanted to build one of these. I made an agreement with my wife years back that I would divert a small percentage of my paycheck each month into a Cobra savings account. Lots and lots of impatient months later, and while collecting bits and parts along the way, I finally had enough to purchase the complete kit.

I started the build with delivery in April of 2016, and my son was 5. He loved playing with the clecos and helping with small things. Then my wife had complications with our second son, and the cobra went on hold after only 4 months of building. My youngest was born healthy in September that year, and the cobra has been waaaay back on the burners for the last several years with a baby, finishing my doctorate, and taking over loads of admin at work.

All this time, money has been trickling into savings for the motor, and I'm also in a place where I can get body work and paint with Jeff K when I get it running and tested.

I had planned on having it done a lot sooner, but life happens. It's getting closer, though, and I can feel momentum starting to build again.

Nathan

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it’s great to hear your back on track and everything is ok family wise. I totally understand life happens... we got ours July 31 and the body is still on the chassis! It’s driving me crazy!!!!!
    Keep us posted on your build.

Kurt

Oh and congrats on your doctorate too! Another great accomplishment.
    Last edited by SSNK4US; 05-23-2019 at 12:22 AM.
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18