FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Terminal and crimper questions

Post Thanks / Like

Terminal and crimper questions

I'm a little way off from starting electrical work on my roadster, but I started looking into the fuel pump setup last night and that prompted many questions in my head. For the fuel pump I'm planning to do what several others have done for their Coyote setup: Pro-M hanger with Walbro 255lph pump. One way of wiring this setup is with Molex Perma-Seal step-down butt connectors. The "correct" crimper for these from Molex is ~$57. I don't normally need much of an excuse to buy new tools, but even I have a hard time justifying $57 to crimp two conectors. However, that got me to thinking that there are surely many other ring and spade terminals on the car (ground connections, etc), and if I were to standardize on Molex Perma-Seal for all of those then it probably makes sense to have the "right" crimper.

So I'm finally getting to my question. Those of you that have standardized on a few different types of connectors - what are you using? For all my lighting and general multi-pin wiring that needs to be weather resistant, I'm planning to use Weatherpak connectors, and I already have the correct crimper for those. For ring and spade (and the odd butt connector) are the Molex Perma-Seals a good choice? Lastly, is there a different type of multi-pin connector that's recommended for behind the dash and other interior connections that's less bulky than weatherpaks?

Thanks,
    John
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought this crimper on Amazon a while back, based on several recommendations on this forum. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It does several different terminal types using different dies. It's the ratcheting type which typically cost quite a bit more. I've been very happy with it. Have used it on those exact Molex Perma-Seal connectors plus many others. I have a dedicated crimper for Weatherpacks. Sound like you do too. I also have a large hydraulic crimper for battery cables. Between the three, do any type of connector I've tried to use on these builds.

I wouldn't use the Perma-Seal connectors unless there's a specific reason, like the fuel pump. Typically not needed and they're not particularly cheap. The kit comes with a healthy supply of butt connectors if you're comfortable with using those. You could add a piece of shrink sleeve over them if you like. I like the double wall variety that has a lining of adhesive. Delcity.net is a good source. I personally haven't used any behind the dash connectors other than the ones on the RF harness.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much! I see that they now have an updated version of that tool with quick change die sets. I have an assortment of cheaper crimpers that can do some of what this tool does, but this looks like a great addition to the toolset. I've also seen your post about the hydraulic crimper for battery terminals, and will likely pick one of those up when I get to that stage of my build.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.