FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Manual Choke Conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Manual Choke Conversion

Currently have a Quick Fuel 750 with a electric choke, doesn't work very well. Either the choke won't set or if it does it doesn't open completely after warming up Convert to a manual or continue to struggle getting the right setting?
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never had one I couldn't adjust correctly -- don't give up. Make sure you have a large enough conductor to carry the load and that it is switched by the ignition "run" position (as opposed to the Start position). If you don't know Holley's procedure for adjusting then do yourself a favor and read the procedure. The choke won't "set" until you push the throttle down far enough that the spring tension will move the choke linkage to the high-speed idle position. And if it's not opening completely that is typically a simple adjustment.

Most of the issues I've come across are related to improper installation and adjustment.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had a QuickFuel 650 and 750. Both with electric choke and both worked perfectly. Agreed, don't give up. Check that you have a constant 12 volts as mentioned. Follow the instructions for adjustment, although I never had to touch mine. It should close and set with a stab of the accelerator when cold. The electric heating coil should have the choke plate fully open in about 10 minutes. Make sure both are happening. If they are, could be something else, e.g. basic carb adjustment including 4-corner idle circuits.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went manual. The electric choke shut off too soon no matter what. As you crank it to stay on longer that also makes it way too rich for a lot of the warmup period. I bought a generic push pull cable assy. Made a small bracket to hold the outer sleeve, and bent a loop into the end of the cable.
    CHOKE Manual by craig stuard, on Flickr
    I also swiss cheesed the choke plate so I could have it on to hold the increased idle speed longer. Looking down from the top I put a slight curve in the cable so it would stay on the pin. Once I got it finalized, I ground a small notch in the black cover for the cable to pass through and put it back in it's normal spot. Been this way for 6 years.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This Might Help:

https://youtu.be/daK-go2PMrk

Or Maybe Not!