BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Horn Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Horn Installation

Curious what you think of my horn installation location— the location in the manual looked weird to me and I was worried it would get in the way of the engine.

IMG-1314.JPG
    IMG-1315.JPG

Do you know of anything else that will be installed later that might get in the way? Only things I could think of in that general area were the battery and the lower radiator hose, but they should be well clear.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 05-22-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a non coupe builder, it looks good to me. Have you considered using angle so that you can have the horns face the nose of the car instead of towards the ground? Would help with increased sound travel towards what you're honking at.

Great work on your build.
    Dave
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using Cooltubes. I couldn't do that set-up on the DS because of how they route to the lower radiator. I am not sure about the routing of the FFR supplied hoses. I assume they are similar. I put the pair on the DS near the alternator.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jdavis500; 05-22-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    Have you considered using angle so that you can have the horns face the nose of the car instead of towards the ground?
    Thanks Dave! The opening of the horn actually points out towards the wheel wells (see second picture). I thought about pointing it forward like you mention, but then it would be blocked by the radiator aluminum right in front of it— at least this way it has a pretty straight shot to open air outside of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis500 View Post
    I am using Cooltubes. I couldn't do that set-up on the DS because of how they route to the lower radiator. I am not sure about the routing of the FFR supplied hoses. I assume they are similar. I put the pair on the DS near the alternator.
    Yeah it's still a concern of mine until I actually install the hoses. From my understanding of the pictures it looks like the FFR supplied hose enters into into the engine bay further back behind it so I think it will be okay, but I will find out soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    My first thought was why the rush? Those can be installed almost at the very last minute in several places based on available space. But looks like you already have them attached. My feeling is you're probably OK not interfering with what you've listed. Front sway bar is probably out though. Goes right through that area.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    My first thought was why the rush?
    Yeah it's a good question— I guess I'm really concerned with having access to things once I put the engine in. I'm already finding it difficult to find space to drill holes (even with a 90 degree drill head) that I'm concerned that once the engine goes in I'm going to have trouble mounting much of anything that requires a hole.

My thought process (albeit probably flawed) is to mount everything I possibly can in the engine bay before I put the engine in. I don't have any frame of reference for how much it takes up other than that I've heard that there isn't much room left over. I know I also run the opposite risk of the engine not fitting in because of stuff I've mounted, but I'm trying to be as generous as possible.

Funny you mention the front sway-bar, I actually thought about that but couldn't for the life of me find a picture of one installed in a Gen III. Did you have one in your build thread? I think the horns could still be flipped over in order to accommodate for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    Yeah it's a good question— I guess I'm really concerned with having access to things once I put the engine in. I'm already finding it difficult to find space to drill holes (even with a 90 degree drill head) that I'm concerned that once the engine goes in I'm going to have trouble mounting much of anything that requires a hole.

My thought process (albeit probably flawed) is to mount everything I possibly can in the engine bay before I put the engine in. I don't have any frame of reference for how much it takes up other than that I've heard that there isn't much room left over. I know I also run the opposite risk of the engine not fitting in because of stuff I've mounted, but I'm trying to be as generous as possible.

Funny you mention the front sway-bar, I actually thought about that but couldn't for the life of me find a picture of one installed in a Gen III. Did you have one in your build thread? I think the horns could still be flipped over in order to accommodate for it.
    I hear you. I guess. It does get congested in there with the engine in. But on the other hand the engine represents basically an immovable object. Lots of other things (hoses, lines, accessories, etc.) aren't and have some flexibility. It's not the end of the world to have the engine in/out a couple times. Not saying it's always necessary. But it's also not a big deal. My last couple builds I've mocked things up with the engine only, e.g. without the transmission. Goes in and out pretty easily. But everyone's approach is different. Good luck with yours.

For the sway bar, yes there are pictures in my build thread. But real easy to visualize on your own chassis. Those mounting brackets outside of the radiator brackets, facing into the engine compartment, are for the sway bar. It centers on those mounting bolts behind those brackets. Visible in your picture BTW. Of course whether you need the sway bar or not is another whole discussion.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.