Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coolant Pipe Adapter

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Coolant Pipe Adapter

My FFR coolant couplings that connect the flex tubing to the hard tubing and waterpump all leak a tiny bit. I've been looking for alternatives and I've found a few types of reducing couplers. Has anyone had experience with any of these?

61Z61v3zrML._SL1500_.jpg61OY3-OPEmL._SL1350_.jpg410yGAp76iL.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not use FFR adapters and hoses. I used silicone turbo intake 1 1/2" hoses in straight, 90 and 45 degree bends. I have zero leaks. I used the FFR supplied corrugated metal hoses. It was a little difficult getting the silicone hoses onto the corrugated ones, but they don't leak.

3. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know the outside diameter of the FFR hard coolant pipes and corrugated tubing? Or would be willing to measure it? I'm away from my car for the next month or so but I wanted to hunt down correctly sized adapters so I can try them out.

If not, I will try redbudrr's 1.5" hose but I'd rather have a neck-down to make it easier to fit to the corrugated tubing.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR corrugated tubing is 1.70" O.D.
    My FFR hard coolant pipes are buried in the side pods so someone else will have to measure them.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

6. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsfourwheeler View Post
    Does anyone know the outside diameter of the FFR hard coolant pipes and corrugated tubing? Or would be willing to measure it? I'm away from my car for the next month or so but I wanted to hunt down correctly sized adapters so I can try them out.

If not, I will try redbudrr's 1.5" hose but I'd rather have a neck-down to make it easier to fit to the corrugated tubing.
    Just realized no one ever answered. In case anyone comes looking in the future, the OD of the coolant pipes is 1.500" In fact every connection on the cooling system except the corrugated tubes is 1.5"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Funny you brought this back up since I didn't update with what I eventually bought. I got some straight 1.5" couplers, but silicone this time, and they did the trick! Difficult to get onto the corrugated tubing but they seal

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered these and they came in today:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are just a smidge loose on the corrugated tubing. I wouldn't use them with a traditional clamp, but they should be just fine with the power grips.

BTW RockAuto had hands down the cheapest price on 1.5-1.75" power grips at $2.25 each. Amazon wanted almost $8 each and Jegs/Summit/Speedway all wanted $5 each.

Also depending on your radiator you might have a 1.75" outlet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 1 5/8 silicone couplers and no problems here. They slipped on without trouble and was able to remove all the bends from the FFR supplied straight connectors by using 90 degree bends. Pegasus had the best prices from what i was able to quick search for at the time.