Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: a Non Kit victory

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

a Non Kit victory

If you have read my thread you will know I am a true noob, but a passionate one. Before buying my kit (because I have more money than sense) I had only ever changed my oil. I didn't know a tie rod from a rocker arm. Well all that has changed! I kept hearing a knocking from my front driver's side suspension, AND I had a horrible wobble when braking. I bought new rotors and pads and installed them myself. While I was down there I felt around and the driver's side tie rod is loose. It wobbles back and forth and makes a clunk sound when it does. So I am going to attempt that as well. It's a great feeling to finally be able to do this. The rotor and pads cost less than the labor would have if I had taken it in. Such a blast!
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

2. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The joys of ownership! good work!
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Great that you caught that before things really went sideways..
    Chances are good the loose tie-rod was the issue all along. Did it look like the rotors were warped, or measured below minimum thickness? You could always get the rotors turned, and keep them as spares, or possibly sell them. The old pads, if not to high a mileage, could also be saved for the future..

It's a good idea to do a regular check on suspension components, front and rear, on these cars. A simple, quick check method, is to mark all the threaded parts, ball joints, control arm nuts, panhard bar, etc, etc, with some type of marker, red nail polish, grease pencil, or a even a Sharpie, By marking both the adjoining parts, male and female, you can tell at a glance if anything has rotated, IE loosened off, if the marks no longer line up.

5. Thanks doddmoore thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Anything New Skill That We Learn Is Always A Great Experience!

7. Thanks doddmoore thanked for this post
    Likes doddmoore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    At a minimum you will need to have your toe in checked. Might be good to check the other tie rod and get an alignment. The mechanic will probably, hands on, all your related suspension parts.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

9. Thanks doddmoore thanked for this post