FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Already planning my winter project!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Red face Already planning my winter project!

After much thought – a rarity for me – more my wife telling me that it’s OK to get the body on the ol’Mark I fixed! Choices were

1. ignore the damage – deer damage, stone chips from track days, and numerous other marks on the body from other events.
    2. Take the body off, get it all fixed and repainted
    3. Replace the body with a new body

Choice one was easy, as I’m doing that now. Choice two would take the Mark I off the road for weeks. Not sure how “she” would react to not being driven daily! Choice three was a distant option, mixed in with the hope of finding one of the old carbon fiber bodies that FFR use to offer as an option.

Over the years I had replaced my doors with the newer style doors and with the doors the new style hinges. The newer doors actually give you more room as the doors are curved so your left leg has more room to move – on those long trips! Also in my case I found a set of the newer doors that are carbon fiber doors, along with a carbon fiber trunk lid.

Finally had a talk with FFR to determine what I would need IF I were to get a new body from them. Jim at FFR went through all the options as well as he asked all the critical questions about doors, hinges and hood. Seems as I had already done the doors and hinges, SO a new Mark III body should be a bolt on. As a result, choice three slowly became a valid option as I could reduce the time needed to get back on the road. I have an unopened box with a new wiring harness that I acquired years ago – just in case I ever took the body off the car.

Ordered a new FFR Mark III body!

Contracted with a builder to build a new 2+ car garage behind our house!

Now making plans for this winter to pull off the body, do a rewiring, and a few other minor changes. Not quite doing a new built, but for me close! The body will get painted the same blue to match the existing doors, hood and trunk. I’ll even mount the new passenger seat! My new steel frame FFR driver seat, already feels like settling into that relaxing chair you always use when you’re preparing to watch a movie!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, good for you Ralph! Going a bit further than a box of parts, eh? Look forward to following along and seeing this older F5 get renewed!!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Ralph-

That's terrific news! I think you made the right choice; of course, it isn't my money, so that makes it much easier!

A new two car garage will certainly be a welcome addition too! If your builder does a two for one deal, send him down my way! ;-o)

I hope you will let us follow along on your progress. I think it would be great to see how things develop, and what you discover as you move along.

Congratulations on your decision, and best of luck breathing some new life to a well worn beauty!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    We're all behind you 100% Mr. Button!! You'll be ready for another 600,000 miles. Look forward to pics of the refurb.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am mildly surprised that other Mark I owners have contacted me about the process and questions asked about installing a Mark III body on a Mark I. Unknowingly I seem to have generated some interest in the process.
    I was told that the Mark III bodies are created based on an order. They are not sitting on a rack ready to be shipped.
    Removing the old Mark I welded on sleeves and installing the newer door hinges is not difficult. It gives you a wider range of door adjustment!
    I make the change to a new hinge a number of years ago.
    I will attempt to post as I work along. I'm not that good at taking the pics but will try.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ralph. As a fellow Mk1 owner, I am interested in the process as well.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ralph, have you already done the drop butt mod? If not, now is the time.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.