BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2 oxygen sensors or 4?

Post Thanks / Like

2 oxygen sensors or 4?

I just noticed that my Kooks exhaust has 4 oxygen sensor locations. My harness still has all 4 sensor leads so I can easily go either way. What are the pros and cons of running 4 sensors vs plugging 2 locations and running just 2?
    Thanks!
    Dave
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Talked to Lingenfelter, tech said since I'm not running cats I should just keep the front pair on the headers.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. I've never really understood why they bother installing the O2 bungs after the cats...since they are "performance cats" and not nearly as efficient as the factory cats, if you installed all 4 O2 sensors, it would likely still throw a code.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

I was thinking something and wanted to run it by you guys. Beeman and I are both going with non-cat pipes and I can understand why Lingenfelter would say just use the front bungs, but I do have a question.

I will be tuning my engine myself and the training classes I'm taking are recommending a standalone A/F meter to confirm that the A/F ratio my computer is seeing is truly what it is measuring. My thoughts are to run the front bung locations to the ECU and use the back bungs for a standalone A/F meter. Would I expect to see a difference in A/F ratio between the two locations with non-cat pipes? Any one have any real world experience on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I only have 2 sensors in the headers, currently still have the cats in the system but intend to remake exhaust and remove cats and possibly install race mufflers. My stand alone harness only requires the two O2 sensors for the ECU to operate properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have dynoed extensively and don't see any difference between the O2 readings close to the headers and those stuck in the end of the exhaust. That said we have seen issues if the system is not sealed properly. As long as there are no leaks you should be fine to use the second set of bungs for monitoring. That is exactly what we do on the FFR PDG GTM race car. Front two are used for engine ECU and one of the ones further down is used for data acquisition.

Make sure you are using a fast acting wide band O2 sensor for dyno and tuning.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    We have dynoed extensively and don't see any difference between the O2 readings close to the headers and those stuck in the end of the exhaust. That said we have seen issues if the system is not sealed properly. As long as there are no leaks you should be fine to use the second set of bungs for monitoring. That is exactly what we do on the FFR PDG GTM race car. Front two are used for engine ECU and one of the ones further down is used for data acquisition.

Make sure you are using a fast acting wide band O2 sensor for dyno and tuning.
    Thanks for the response Crash. Exactly the answer I was looking for.