Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Memorial Day

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Memorial Day

So here’s a “just happened to me” real life Memorial Day story. 1LT Scott F. Milley was KIA on 30 November 2010. As I do every Memorial Day weekend, I was wearing my tribute shirt with his name and date on it. A young Captain came up to me in a brewery in Alexandria, VA telling me he graduated OTS and Ranger school with Scott and was with him the day his life was stolen. We talked for a few minutes, shaked hands, cried and hugged. That, my friends, is what Memorial Day is all about. My heart goes out to the Milley family from Sudbury and all the other Gold Star families who’s family member paid the ultimate to defend this Country!

Henry

2. Thanks Straversi, MVRight thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Henry, great story to share and thank you for your service

4. Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for sharing that. We all need to remember what Memorial Day is for.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

6. Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Amen Henry, Amen!

....Thanks For Sharing This With Us Colonel!

8. Thanks 65 Cobra Dude thanked for this post
    Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Henry-

Thank you for reminding everyone that Memorial Day is the day to remember those that gave their "last full measure of devotion" in support of this great Nation!

It is difficult to hear stories about 1LT Milley, and the families they left behind. But I am forever grateful for the men like him, as well as the women, who have been willing to serve and protect our freedoms and way of life. Frankly, it is a debt that can never be repaid. It is however, very easy to remember them and honor them, and hopefully support their families, to thank them for the sacrifice they made.

Thank you for taking the time to refresh our memories!

Regards,

Steve

10. Thanks 65 Cobra Dude thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing that Henry.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

12. Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Colonel. You really made the young Captains day when he saw that you were paying a special tribute to his friend.

On a side note, I went to my grandaughters high school graduation on saturday, and out of the 63 graduates (small school in Evergreen Colorado), seven of the young men and women were enlisting, some of them reporting as early as tomorrow. And then, right on cue, 2 eagles did a fly by.
    MK2 #3319.... On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades

14. Thanks 65 Cobra Dude thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome Derald, I’m glad to hear the torch is passing on. We need to stay vigilant to stay free and it won’t be easy because the wolves and bears are knocking on our doors!

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65 Cobra Dude View Post

We need to stay vigilant to stay free and it won’t be easy because the wolves and bears are knocking on our doors!
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts and stories (told, and untold).

Thought about it all day.

I will stand in awe of these particular two for the rest of my days.

Insisting (repeatedly, against higher authority) on getting inserted into an impossible situation because no one should be abandoned.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/gordonandshughart.html

17. Thanks 65 Cobra Dude thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Definitely American heroes Mike. Some have studied that particular situation during military training and there were many decisions made back then that attributed to the outcome we’ve all read about. Suffice it to say preparation and training for missions is a bit different now.

Thanks for sharing

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65 Cobra Dude View Post

Some have studied that particular situation during military training and there were many decisions made back then that attributed to the outcome we’ve all read about. Suffice it to say preparation and training for missions is a bit different now.
    Henry,

I've studied and stewed on that situation for ~25 years now.

By 1988 (early 1989 at the very latest) I had figured out that "higher authority" did not have my back and I swore off ever working for "those people" ever again (once my obligation was complete).

I still wish Gordon and Shughart had 3 - 6 more "good shooters" to insert + back them up.

But they insisted on going in knowing they were "it" (alone).

Not at all certain I could have done it at that point in time.

They were a little bit older than me.

And certainly fully aware that "higher authority" did not have their backs (at multiple levels - but not essentially the "command level").

Again, I will stand in awe of them for the rest of my days.

And I think the third delta sniper on that helicopter would have gone in too - but somebody really needed to take over the wounded crew chief's minigun (and that's what he did).

Not me - wasn't there - but still a little haunted by all of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,

Sounds like we have both had similar situations with higher authority. I am no longer wearing the uniform because higher didn’t have my back and I chose to punch out. The key is to think you and the guys you are with are it! Not always pretty but a better way to be prepared and get surprised when higher sends in help!

Henry

Henry