Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Garage size

Post Thanks / Like

Garage size

I have a normal two car garage that one side is taken up with my 15 Stingray. I am planning on installing a 4 post lift to get the body up out of the way while I build, and ultimately store both cars. I was wondering how many people have built a roadster in basically a one car garage and if it will feel cramped?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a lot more room than that, but others have successfully built their cars in a single-car garage. Your biggest concerns/inconveniences will be in storage and just having a place to lay things out as you start a new assembly. Since you have the extra bay and can move the Stingray as you need to, and you can get under the car easily with the lift, I'd say you will be fine as long as you can address the parts storage aspect. I'd still recommend a body buck on wheels to allow you to get it out of the way and use the lift for the build when you need to.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

3. Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I am planning on building a buck on wheels for that exact reason. I have a large shelving unit that I will be clearing off and using to store all the parts and boxes during the build. The planning stages just keep bringing up more questions for me and I'm grateful that everyone on this forum is quick to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ariel Ayubo built his using his apartment carport and the shipping box it came in so you should be fine with half of a 2 car garage! Read this:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ighlight=ariel

Jeff

6. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Likes Drezx6r liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drezx6r View Post
    I have a normal two car garage that one side is taken up with my 15 Stingray. I am planning on installing a 4 post lift to get the body up out of the way while I build, and ultimately store both cars. I was wondering how many people have built a roadster in basically a one car garage and if it will feel cramped?
    Drez,

A two car garage would be HEAVEN in my opinion.
    My shop is basically a one car stall size, with additional walk space on either side, which can be seen in the two videos shown below:

https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk

https://youtu.be/_3sLamdkIFg

Our body was stored outside (under my home) so it wasn't a problem but dodging hurricanes is always our biggest pain in the "You Pic The Body Part!"
    Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-26-2019 at 11:39 AM.

8. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Steve said, two car garage = heaven.

I built mine in a one car setup. Constructed a body buck on rollers that stores the body above the chassis as it was being built. Rolled it in/out of garage as needed. You will want good bench space and figure out where you want to store the multitude of boxes. A two post lift was not feasible in my situation so I went a different route and got a Kwik Lift.

10. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drezx6r,

I have a fairly normal 2-stall. It does have the raised boundary area around the actual parking floor, big PITA.

The chassis is on a good dolly that will hold a complete car and it gets shoved to one side when I'm not working on it. The S4 daily driver doesn't usually sit out. Everything that can fit under and around the chassis is on dollies as well so things are easy to move.

The body is split in half, cut under the doors, and hangs half & half above the 2 stalls from the ceiling. All's close but it works.

No room in mine for a lift, just too much stuff (junk).

Now whether I complete the assembly before going completely insane is a whole different story. I do have a head start.

Welcome to the party.

Jim

12. Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did 2-1/2 builds in one bay of a two car garage. One of the conditions for my hobby is my wife's car doesn't sit out. So that left me outside and the builds in the other bay. I used an elevated body buck to keep the body up out of the way, and then could roll out when I was working. Garage height didn't allow me to hang it permanently. Later I added a short 2-post lift (Danmar MaxJax) that was nice but not essential. Mainly to save my back. I will add that workplace organization is a big part of these builds, and many don't mention the huge stack of boxes you also have to deal with. Especially at the start of the build. Would make a huge difference if you also had to coexist with all that. I'm fortunate to have a basement, so if I wasn't actively working on something (including all the boxes) they were in the basement. If you're only working in a single bay, a 4-post lift is going to take a lot of space during the build IMO. Unless you have a lot of height, you're going to be clanging your head on it regularly. At least I would be. My situation changed a couple years ago and I have a much larger place to work now with a full height 2-post lift. It's nice for sure. But can be done with much less.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-26-2019 at 09:02 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

14. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post