Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Self pickup question

Post Thanks / Like

Self pickup question

For anyone who has driven down to pick up a base roadster kit, How many boxes come with the kit? I have a Chevrolet Colorado truck with the biggest box (6') available and am worried that I won't have enough cargo space to fit all of the boxes in it. Did anyone happen to take a picture of their own vehicle loaded up that they can share?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the truck but here’s a photo. 2DDFF920-27BC-4399-AF75-DF3402837766.jpg

3. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I'm assuming it would be a similar amount of boxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is. I helped a friend unload a roadster and it’s about the same. I’d email FFR for the definitive answer.

You could also rent a larger trailer to house the boxes too. That’s what I did.

6. Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here’s a photo of when we picked up our kit. The truck is a Silverado with a 6 1/2’ bed we used the space behind the seats for some boxes, but there was still some available space in the cockpit of the car.B4B9EA33-176C-412F-A9AF-3D7DCA21E3DD.jpeg
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

8. Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I rented a 16'Uhaul everything including boxes fit in

10. Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like large U-Haul trailer is going to be the way to go for me. Still lots of time to plan. Thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    We picked up my #8674 Roadster with a Dodge Durango SUV and 14 foot Serpent Express trailer. Was a complete kit, including wheels, and it all fit. The 14 foot trailer just fits the body/chassis assembly. But there's quite a lot of storage space underneath the chassis plus in the cockpit. That plus what we fit in the SUV with the seats down got it done. We didn't have much space left over, but it all fit. You should be able to fit a base kit with what you're describing.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

13. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We picked up my complete kit roadster with my Toyota Tundra, Had 22 boxes total plus wheel and tires. Fit with no problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dam327 View Post
    We picked up my complete kit roadster with my Toyota Tundra, Had 22 boxes total plus wheel and tires. Fit with no problem.
    I like that they wrapped it up to make it easier to keep it tied down and together, One of my worries was that the boxes would shift around and be difficult to keep secure during the long drive back to Canada.

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI.... Also... If you pick it up, you owe Massataxes sales tax at that time.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 05-27-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to pick mine up at the border and I had 18 boxes of parts. The vehicle I had at the time was a Dodge Dakota crew cab with a canopy over the box. Mine was a base kit with a fair number of options. With the back seat folded up I got it all to fit without anything except the body and fame on the trailer.

HTH

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    FYI.... Also... If you tick it up, you owe sales tax
    Pretty sure I have to pay the taxes on it either way when it comes across the border even if it's shipped.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is much cheaper as far as taxes and duty to pick it up yourself. There are no expeditor fees etc. All I paid was the GST at the border. The customs agents didn’t care about the list of approved parts from transport Canada. All they wanted se final bill of sale to calculate the GST from. That was a few years ago and in Alberta but, the province shouldn’t matter as customs is Federal.

22. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m also from Ontario and picked mine up Feb 2017. Canadians don’t have to pay the MA state tax if you pick up, this was a concern then and FFR confirmed to me I didn’t have to pay, and I didn’t.
    I agree customs main concern is you paying tax. Border stop was very quick.
    I drove down in my Tacoma, 6ft box with a cap on it, and a 16ft enclosed trailer. Bed/cap completely full and a couple boxes in the trailer. Don’t think I had boxes in the back seat. As long as you can put a couple boxes in the trailer or strapped to it you should be fine. Expect your bed to be piled high with boxes, bring a good plan to tie them down.
    Pretty easy drive, 10 hrs or so each way pulling the trailer, have fun!

24. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post