Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Engine is dieseling

Post Thanks / Like

Engine is dieseling

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5hGjeL47d4

Every time I turn my blueprint 306 complete engine off, it sputters and the run backwards for a second or two. I have no idea what’s causing this or how to resolve. It sounds horrible.

Any help? I’ve emailed blueprint

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On carbureted engines fuel will get sucked into the engine until the engine quits spinning.
    If the idle mixture is rich and the engine idle RPM is pretty high it may want to run off after the ignition is shut off.
    Basically the fuel keeps dripping as the engine turns over and it detonates without the spark plugs kicking off the process.
    If your engine is Fuel Injected, then that is outside of my wheel house, but a F.I. set up may also be running a tad fat leaving un-burned fuel in the intake too.
    I'M NOT A PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC; however, I do often stay at Holiday Inns (Express Type) when traveling on business.

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-26-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too rich. Pulled the plugs. It’s a carbureted blueprint 306

CE6BDE9C-378E-475D-ABAA-CEC78DCACF1B.jpeg

BA96484F-AAB1-45D6-9247-8BBB6850FEF4.jpeg

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too lean may cause dieseling but too rich would tend to lessen the condition. Lean is hot, rich is cool. In the olden days of emissions controls carb engines were run very lean which can cause hot carbon in the combustion chamber to ignite the fuel charge after the key was shut off. To cure this the OEMs used an electrically powered idle solenoid that when powered off would allow the throttle blades to close down, eliminating the run-on condition. As a Ford technician in the progressive tree huger People's Republik of Kalifornia, cars had to be very lean to pass the draconian smog laws of the early 70's and I worked on a lot of warranty issues troubleshooting run-on conditions. EFI instantly eliminated this problem as it does not feed fuel when the ignition is off. Carbs continue feeding fuel independent of ignition power.

BTW, reading plugs is not as easy as most would like to believe. If you want to detect a AFR issue at idle you have to start with a clean plug and idle the engine long enough to color the plug. If that plug has run on the highway at all you will not get an accurate indication of idle and vice versa.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    BTW, reading plugs is not as easy as most would like to believe. If you want to detect a AFR issue at idle you have to start with a clean plug and idle the engine long enough to color the plug. If that plug has run on the highway at all you will not get an accurate indication of idle and vice versa.
    NAZ,
    This is a huge help to me so thanks!
    I never could do an adequate job as it was always a guessing game when an engine was running pretty well.

Stillwater,
    Here's an article that may shed some additional light on the subject.
    http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...d=94/prd94.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I could not tell if your electric fan was spinning down during your problem. I have heard that the spinning fan motor can generate enough current to keep the ignition activated. One of the solutions is to put a diode in the wiring to the fan. I am sure someone can put some wordier explanation up, if you need it.
    Last edited by Railroad; 05-27-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I could not tell if your electric fan was spinning down during your problem. I have heard that the spinning fan motor can generate enough current to keep the ignition activated. One of the solutions is to a diode in the wiring to the fan. I am sure someone can put some wordier explanation up, if you need it.
    The Dynamo Effect?

Post Thanks / Like
    Frequently, dieseling is caused by having the enrichment screw open to far leaving the butterfly open slightly when your foot is off the gas. Basically your idle is turned up too high. Turn the air bleed screw to lower your idle speed a quarter of a turn and see if it helps.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone. Lots t try tomorrow. 1 more week until I’m inspected and legal

Post Thanks / Like
    Wanted to check in after we emailed. did the carb adjustments prove effective?

Johnny
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah - and Johnny is the man for replying over the weekend to get me settled in. Thanks man.

12. Likes BluePrintEngines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillwater35 View Post
    Yeah - and Johnny is the man for replying over the weekend to get me settled in. Thanks man.
    Anytime!
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263