Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Alberta Canada Registration - Roadster MKIV Cobra

Post Thanks / Like

Alberta Canada Registration - Roadster MKIV Cobra

Getting ready to order and I'd like to hear real registration experience from those in Canada or Alberta. Any 'surprises'? (Example: I heard you have to order the defrost kit for Canada, even though it's a freakin' open-top car.) Good registrars? Bad registrars? Who performed the inspection for registration? Good insurance brokers? Obviously, I'd like to know what the process is REALLY like so that I can be prepared as possible. Thanks.

2. Likes speedfreak1211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the other forum, there is a user "S13" that is in Alberta and has put together a 33 hot rod. He may be able to relate his experience for you....
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in Alberta are you? I registered a Gen 3 Coupe last Fall in Edmonton area, no issues. I would talk with your insurance now, many companies don't insure a Cobra kit car.
    Look at the Canada section on this web site, there are several old posts with information.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    Where in Alberta are you? I registered a Gen 3 Coupe last Fall in Edmonton area, no issues. I would talk with your insurance now, many companies don't insure a Cobra kit car.
    Look at the Canada section on this web site, there are several old posts with information.
    David W
    Registration in Canada will vary somewhat between provinces but is likely similar across the country. I registered last year in New Brunswick with the following process. Contacted NB Services Safety Services, vehicle registration. They gave me a list of certified automotive engineers to inspect the car. Inspector came to the house & spent a couple of hours going over everything; asked for a few minor changes ie jam nuts vs nylocks on suspension. He then issued a report to Safety Services and vehicle was approved for registration. I then went to Vehicle Registration office with kit invoice, insurance card & inspection report, paid sales tax on kit & car was registered. I then had 30 days to have a provincial licensed mechanic do another inspection for the NB annual inspection.

Insurance is an issue as none of the majors will insure home built cars. I found an agent in Ontario insuring FFR's but only for Ontario & he said maybe not for long. My long time agent ended up insuring for PLPD & Comprehensive under Facility Ins. (Special high risk) No one else would touch 'kit cars'.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Lacombe, Ab. I had difficulties with insurance during the build. Boxes of parts in garage are covered by homeowners policy according to my broker. Once it resembles a car it is no longer covered by house insurance. Can't be insured as a car until it is registered, can't be registered until it passes inspection (out of province style inspection). So I went without insurance until it was registered.
    When it came to the inspection I used a local garage where the owner is into hot rods, explained my need to be able to insure the car. He was most concerned with brakes, age of tires, steering components rear view mirrors and that horn and all lights worked properly. A lot of items on his form are marked N/A.
    I do have heater and wiper components roughed into my car but not hooked up. I believe the heater / defroster will be an added bonus. I've driven the car quite a bit at night (down to about 4C) and once the sun goes down here in Alberta it cools off fast. I've been caught in heavy rain and not been able to see much (rain-x on inside and outside of windshield...I've now decided to finish installing the wipers)
    Intact insured it. They required all receipts for kit and parts. Gave me a value of $40,000.00, premium of $265.00 or $295.00/year (I can't remember which) and a limit of 10,000 km/year (it's not painted yet) once it's painted they want an appraisal.
    When registering it can be done in 2 different ways. One is as a car built of all new parts, second is as using part of a previously existing vehicle. I said mine was all new parts and they used my FFR serial number as the VIN for the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32J View Post
    Getting ready to order and I'd like to hear real registration experience from those in Canada or Alberta. Any 'surprises'? (Example: I heard you have to order the defrost kit for Canada, even though it's a freakin' open-top car.) Good registrars? Bad registrars? Who performed the inspection for registration? Good insurance brokers? Obviously, I'd like to know what the process is REALLY like so that I can be prepared as possible. Thanks.
    Look around on the Canadian section of this or the other forum. There were some issues last year about a crack down on shops that were doing the safety inspections on cars like these and maybe fudging them a bit. I recall there were some issues with certifying them “by the book”, not sure what the Alberta regulations are but worth looking into.

I’m in Ontario and have our own set of challenges, I also safetied mine through a shop that does a lot of old cars and hot rods. The regular shops I talked to wanted nothing to do with it.

I did not have insurance until it was ready to go on the road.

Good luck and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, everyone! I'm in the Edmonton area. I would like advice on local shops / mechanics for requisite safety inspection for registration. (And eventually, I would also like to hear advice on good shops for fiberglass bodywork and paint... but I think I'll scour the Canadian section first.)

Post Thanks / Like
    I registered my MK III in 2017, no surprises - but I knew I needed defrosters and I'm glad I have them, I've driven the car in heavy fog when I needed the wipers to keep the outside of the windshield clear and the defroster to keep the inside clear.
    I'm finishing a MK IV now and have added side marker lights, windshield washers and back up lights, as I heard the rules changed a little. I'm not anticipating any problems passing the out of province inspection.
    The "registration experience" should be trouble free as long a you have a copy of your out of province inspection, your Alberta VIN number and your insurance certificate.
    Enjoy the build
    Cheers
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    We have an active group in Edmonton so if you want to see a few cars and talk that is easy to arrange. Many of us get the inspection done at Fountain Tire in St Albert, they understand the process.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCYoung View Post
    Registration in Canada will vary somewhat between provinces but is likely similar across the country. I registered last year in New Brunswick with the following process. Contacted NB Services Safety Services, vehicle registration. They gave me a list of certified automotive engineers to inspect the car. Inspector came to the house & spent a couple of hours going over everything; asked for a few minor changes ie jam nuts vs nylocks on suspension. He then issued a report to Safety Services and vehicle was approved for registration. I then went to Vehicle Registration office with kit invoice, insurance card & inspection report, paid sales tax on kit & car was registered. I then had 30 days to have a provincial licensed mechanic do another inspection for the NB annual inspection.

Insurance is an issue as none of the majors will insure home built cars. I found an agent in Ontario insuring FFR's but only for Ontario & he said maybe not for long. My long time agent ended up insuring for PLPD & Comprehensive under Facility Ins. (Special high risk) No one else would touch 'kit cars'.
    I'm in NB as well and looking into projects that I could do with my son as he grows. The 818C kit has me intrigued but you mentioned that you paid taxes at registration? I would have assumed that the taxes would have been paid when you crossed the border and all you would be responsible for would be plates and annual registration / inspection. Could you clarify on that?

Post Thanks / Like

Registration

Quote Originally Posted by ih8lag View Post
    I'm in NB as well and looking into projects that I could do with my son as he grows. The 818C kit has me intrigued but you mentioned that you paid taxes at registration? I would have assumed that the taxes would have been paid when you crossed the border and all you would be responsible for would be plates and annual registration / inspection. Could you clarify on that?
    I brought the kit from Alberta to NB at about 80% complete. NB made me pay the prov. sales tax at 10% over the tax I paid in Alberta. You will have to prove you paid the tax at the border. Receipts required or they will just assess value of the car and charge on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ih8lag View Post
    Make sure you investigate insurance. Here in Ontario only one company will I sure cobra replicas, but they told me they haven’t been able to insure 818s. I think some have found insurance elsewhere but worth investigating before you get too far.
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    Make sure you investigate insurance. Here in Ontario only one company will I sure cobra replicas, but they told me they haven’t been able to insure 818s. I think some have found insurance elsewhere but worth investigating before you get too far.
    Thats a good point. Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    I registered in 2014. The process may have changed and there may be more requirements than there was then. Insurance is through a broker with Intact. They have policies that match how you want to use your car.

HTH

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Say, would anyone know if there is an "Edmonton" or "Alberta" forum or thread? I have some specific topics such registration and inspection (covered here), shipping, and good bodywork and paint shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32J View Post
    Say, would anyone know if there is an "Edmonton" or "Alberta" forum or thread? I have some specific topics such registration and inspection (covered here), shipping, and good bodywork and paint shops.
    Were you able to get sorted with registration and insurance? I’m looking to bring one over from BC to AB. He’s got it registered as a ‘65 AC cobra - not sure what will happen over here. Was going to start calling around for insurance - maybe intact. With TD for the rest of my stuff.