FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: New member from Orlando, FL

Post Thanks / Like

New member from Orlando, FL

Hello All,

Been checking out FF cars for at least a decade now. My daughter used to love to watch the promotional DVD back when she was 6 or 7. Now she's 17, yikes where did the time go?

Plan is a Mk4 Roadster. Strongly considered the coupe but concerns about ingress/egress for the wife have pretty much scared me away. I love her too much to leave her behind . While there is a slight chance of ordering next summer, much more likely to order the following summer(2021) after we get my daughter through the first year of college. Can't order any later than that really as the goal is for my son to help me build it, and he turns 14 this week.

I don't anticipate doing anything crazy, it'll be my first build. My auto experience is pretty much limited to oil changes, brakes, stereos, and swapping out the entire rear axle end on my 2005 Mustang by myself. However, I was a nuke mechanic in the Navy(IT in civilian life) so I'm pretty confident that between me and google it'll be covered. I've started doing some research of course. Budget seems to be okay based off what I've seen people share. FWIW, mine is 50-55. ish. I think the daunting part is all of the aftermarket options. Tough to tell what's worth it and what isn't. I want the car to be nice enough to show it off but I'm honestly building it for me, so non-correct items like cup holders and a stereo are a must. Maybe even, gasp, a soft top so we can drive down to the keys or up to see friends in Atlanta or Chattanooga some time without stressing about how many times we'd get rained on.

Don't ask me about color. I bounce around like a disco ball right now.

Hoping to visit the factory next spring break. We're going to VT to go skiing, may as well fly into Boston and stop by if we can.

Looking forward to being a member of this forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

I am building a Type 65 in Merritt Island. I am there a few times a year. You are of course more than welcome to come and take a look.
    Sigurd
    Type 65 Gen 3, 347 Fi, Tremec, IRS, Wilwood, AC, PS

3. Likes Radman73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. I was on the forums and wishing for 9 years before I finally pulled the trigger. I used to travel and move every couple years for work. When I finally settled in, I placed my order. I have loved every minute of it. The build, cruising, autocross, track days, and new friends.

The first thing is to work up a plan based on how you are going to use the car. Then if there is anything that is really on your must have list. The engine is one of the biggest decisions. Modern or old school is the starting point there.

Here is my list of "must haves", based on how I use the car which is multi-purpose. Pretty much everything but car shows, even though my car is show quality, I would rather drive than sit in a chair next to the car and polish it. Nothing wrong with that, just not my thing.

Dual roll bars. You mentioned a wife, and I guess you kinda like that she has a head located on her shoulders. Yes, a single bar looks better. But half the drivers out there are below average intelligence. Any 75% are playing with their phones.
    Boig cooling pipes. When you do your inventory, take the flex hoses and throw them in the trash.
    Russ Thompson gas pedal (if not doing a fly by wire setup) and his turn signals.
    Power steering.
    Wipers - you're in Florida, you WILL get caught in the rain.
    Heater and heated seats. In Florida the best driving is in the winter. Often you will head out to events early. I use mine more than you would think. I didn't hook my defrosters up and regret it.
    Cup holders. Easy addition.
    Premium soft top. There are two reasons for this in Florida. Unexpected torrential rain and also the sun. I pretty much leave mine on for the summer. Get the quarter windows and zip out rear window options. A must if you plan on travelling with the car.
    High performance tires. These cars need all the grip they can get. Don't cheap out here.
    Trunk mod. Greatly increases usability.

Not a car option per-se, but I think this should be mandatory for owning a Cobra. Three autocross events. Everyone thinks that they are Mario Andretti, and they are wrong. People that have driven their car HARD on the street, haven't really driven their car hard. Come out to a safe venue and really get to know your car and your skill level. And OMG it is FUN!

Deep South Cobra Club membership when you get on the road. The group has 3 - 4 large multi-day cruises each year. Usually 25 - 30 Cobras cruising around for a long weekend. One in Alabama just finished up last week. We have one basing out of Gainesville later this year. It would be a chance to look at and get a ride or two in 20+ Cobras. Not far away, and we might be incorporating a track day. You might see some things that you like or don't like for your car. Interiors, dash colors, etc.

Not worth it, in my opinion:
    Stereo - These cars are LOUD. Even if your engine is mild, there is a ton of wind and road noise. You will likely find your self wearing ear plugs any time you get on the highway. By the time you add all that up, (noise floor) the stereo has to go on top of it. It will be quantity sound not quality sound. I am a musician (not pro, but used to do some semi-pro stuff), I wouldn't consider it for a second.

Lots to think about. But that is part of the fun. Your basic car skills will be enough. FFR has great support, and the forums are priceless. We will help you through it. I also think you have a very realistic budget for a nice car.

Color......I changed my mind about 100 times.

I was a nuke electrician way back in the 80s, now in IT myself.

5. Likes Radman73 liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard!
    The MK-4 Is The Best Starting Point For Those Of Us Who Are 1st Time Builders!
    Come on, pull the trigger, you know you want to!
    Again, Welcome Aboard!

7. Likes Radman73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Welcome!

I am building a Type 65 in Merritt Island. I am there a few times a year. You are of course more than welcome to come and take a look.
    Thanks, pretty good chance I'll take you up on that! Not far away at all and can tie it into a beach day.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Welcome. I was on the forums and wishing for 9 years before I finally pulled the trigger. I used to travel and move every couple years for work. When I finally settled in, I placed my order. I have loved every minute of it. The build, cruising, autocross, track days, and new friends.

The first thing is to work up a plan based on how you are going to use the car. Then if there is anything that is really on your must have list. The engine is one of the biggest decisions. Modern or old school is the starting point there.

Here is my list of "must haves", based on how I use the car which is multi-purpose. Pretty much everything but car shows, even though my car is show quality, I would rather drive than sit in a chair next to the car and polish it. Nothing wrong with that, just not my thing.

Dual roll bars. You mentioned a wife, and I guess you kinda like that she has a head located on her shoulders. Yes, a single bar looks better. But half the drivers out there are below average intelligence. Any 75% are playing with their phones.
    Boig cooling pipes. When you do your inventory, take the flex hoses and throw them in the trash.
    Russ Thompson gas pedal (if not doing a fly by wire setup) and his turn signals.
    Power steering.
    Wipers - you're in Florida, you WILL get caught in the rain.
    Heater and heated seats. In Florida the best driving is in the winter. Often you will head out to events early. I use mine more than you would think. I didn't hook my defrosters up and regret it.
    Cup holders. Easy addition.
    Premium soft top. There are two reasons for this in Florida. Unexpected torrential rain and also the sun. I pretty much leave mine on for the summer. Get the quarter windows and zip out rear window options. A must if you plan on travelling with the car.
    High performance tires. These cars need all the grip they can get. Don't cheap out here.
    Trunk mod. Greatly increases usability.

Not a car option per-se, but I think this should be mandatory for owning a Cobra. Three autocross events. Everyone thinks that they are Mario Andretti, and they are wrong. People that have driven their car HARD on the street, haven't really driven their car hard. Come out to a safe venue and really get to know your car and your skill level. And OMG it is FUN!

Deep South Cobra Club membership when you get on the road. The group has 3 - 4 large multi-day cruises each year. Usually 25 - 30 Cobras cruising around for a long weekend. One in Alabama just finished up last week. We have one basing out of Gainesville later this year. It would be a chance to look at and get a ride or two in 20+ Cobras. Not far away, and we might be incorporating a track day. You might see some things that you like or don't like for your car. Interiors, dash colors, etc.

Not worth it, in my opinion:
    Stereo - These cars are LOUD. Even if your engine is mild, there is a ton of wind and road noise. You will likely find your self wearing ear plugs any time you get on the highway. By the time you add all that up, (noise floor) the stereo has to go on top of it. It will be quantity sound not quality sound. I am a musician (not pro, but used to do some semi-pro stuff), I wouldn't consider it for a second.

Lots to think about. But that is part of the fun. Your basic car skills will be enough. FFR has great support, and the forums are priceless. We will help you through it. I also think you have a very realistic budget for a nice car.

Color......I changed my mind about 100 times.

I was a nuke electrician way back in the 80s, now in IT myself.
    I've probably bounced around a couple forums for the last 10 years. But when the wife suggested as early as next summer to order, I realized how close we really were. If I wanted to to finance, I could order today. Just really don't want to do that or, if I do, not much. We've worked too hard to not have car payments. Thankfully I work from home, so when my son turns 16 he should be able to learn on my Subaru like his sister lol!

Your must have's pretty much mirror mine. Already penciled in the soft top and I'm strongly considering AC as well. Also strongly considering IRS and just going salvage on the center and rear brakes. Will go new for everything else. There's no way I'll go cheap on the tires. Too important. One of the most difficult things when researching, and therefore planning, is figuring out what to use from the complete kit, what to replace, what options to get from FF, and what to get from other vendors. Hopefully reading some build threads will clear that up a little bit. I've read through edwardb's and was blown away.

I know you say the stereo isn't worth it, and I know you're right lol! But I'll probably still put one in. Won't be expensive, but something to have while chilling somewhere I guess.

I was set on an EFI 347 for the motor and then started reading about the Coyote builds. Prob can't go wrong with either one. and plenty of time to decide. Forte looks to have a nice Coyote package though. I'll probably go back and forth for a while. I love the classic look, but enjoy the modern look in the classic car as well.

Good to see a fellow nuke!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Welcome Aboard!
    The MK-4 Is The Best Starting Point For Those Of Us Who Are 1st Time Builders!
    Come on, pull the trigger, you know you want to!
    Again, Welcome Aboard!
    All in good time lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good luck! I’m just north of Tampa, probably on a similar time line. Although I’m leaning towards the 35 truck. Of course, that’s changed a couple times already too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Chief 35 View Post
    Good luck! I’m just north of Tampa, probably on a similar time line. Although I’m leaning towards the 35 truck. Of course, that’s changed a couple times already too.
    When the time comes, let me know if you need help on a weekend here or there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Radman. I'm in Orlando as well. Winter Garden area. Feel free to drop by anytime.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Hey Radman. I'm in Orlando as well. Winter Garden area. Feel free to drop by anytime.
    Hmm, I live in Winter Garden too. PM inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds good, I hope to take you up on that. I plan on following your build progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading build threads is crazy addicting.