BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What to look for in a doner? And what is a good price to shoot for?

Post Thanks / Like

What to look for in a doner? And what is a good price to shoot for?

Hello FFR Forum.

Cars is a new thing for me -- a year ago I started with a 1994 Mazda RX7 FD and got it working pretty well. Now I want to build an 818C. I am looking for a donor car but I am not sure what to really look for. In particular, I think I want a turbo - at least - so I think that means a WRX. Is there a best year b/w 2002/2007? Obviously mileage to be as low as possible? Things to look for? Best places to look? Rough range I should be looking to pay?

Thx,
    MJP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heybluez View Post
    Hello FFR Forum.

Cars is a new thing for me -- a year ago I started with a 1994 Mazda RX7 FD and got it working pretty well. Now I want to build an 818C. I am looking for a donor car but I am not sure what to really look for. In particular, I think I want a turbo - at least - so I think that means a WRX. Is there a best year b/w 2002/2007? Obviously mileage to be as low as possible? Things to look for? Best places to look? Rough range I should be looking to pay?

Thx,
    MJP

I'm partial to the 04 forester xt as that is what I used. They are cheap ($500) on coparts. This one has lest than 100k miles on it and the engine starts and runs. Unfortunately it is an automatic.
    Bob

https://www.copart.com/lot/32639849/Photos
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 05-29-2019 at 04:55 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I want a turbo - at least - so I think that means a WRX.
    Yes, a wrx is the most common donor for these. As Bob mentioned, you can also use the engine from a forester xt although I'm not sure if you will need to source some other donor parts from an impreza. Some people have used an sti as a donor and at least one person has used an NA impreza.

Is there a best year b/w 2002/2007?
    The 06-07 donors are more sought after due to their typically lower mileage and better brake calipers. There are probably some other benefits that I'm forgetting. The earlier 02-03 imprezas are generally simpler (no idle control valves, cable throttle vs drive by wire, no immobilizer, etc.).

Things to look for? Best places to look? Rough range I should be looking to pay?
    Ideally, look for a donor that you can test drive before you buy to make sure everything works. You may be able to find a cheaper donor on copart but it's a calculated gamble since you can't test drive it first. There's always craigslist and sometimes donors are posted on this forum as well. You'll have to research for what prices people are asking for but newer low mileage examples will cost more than older or damaged donors. I would imagine you could find a decent donor for $3-5k and sell off many of the unused parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    To add onto what STiPWRD wrote the '06-07 WRXs have the 2.5L engine where the '02-05 WRXs have the 2.0L engine.

A few tips about buying your first donor car online - I purchased a '07 NA Impreza salvage title through ridesafely.com - "some" of the information listed about the vehicle was true, you must wire transfer funds (credit cards not accepted) and the auction price was $1,100 but it cost me an additional $1,400 in auction fees and transportation costs to get the car in my driveway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also consider what/how you want to build. The guy I bought my kit & donor parts from had already replaced many of the donor parts, and I followed suit. This resulted in a pretty small number of actual donor parts on the car. Just off the top of my head, the donor parts I can think of NOT used; Engine, Clutch, Steering Rack & Wheel, Wheels, Brakes, Pedals & Cylinders, ECU/Electronics/Dash, Rad. & Fans, Seats, Belts, Battery. Of course not a low cost way to build, "but it's hard to stop"...
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019