Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine Vibration

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Vibration

I've got a vibration coming from the engine that occurs from 1900-2200 rpm. It is big enough that it bothers me, but others who ride with me don't notice it. I can mainly feel it in the shifter and I think I can hear it or maybe I'm thinking I can hear it because I know it's there. The engine builder does not feel it is an issue with the balancer or flywheel, but rather something to do with the rigid motor mounts or a misfire. The vibe occurs in the driveway in neutral with clutch in or out so I think that rules out the trans back. This is a 408 (351W) & TKO 600. Anyone notice something similar in their cars or know what this may be?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Were the pressure plate alignment dowels installed in the flywheel?

Jeff

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Engines vibrate and this is sometimes worse at certain RPMs from resonance. You mention rigid mounts -- if you have solid mounts it will amplify even small vibrations. If the vibration hits a natural frequency of the chassis or even body parts it will also amplify the vibration. If you're using an OEM vibration damper these are typically an elastomer (rubber) ring pressed in between an inner and outer hub and are seldom concentric, meaning that they may have a natural out of balance condition built in due to sloppy manufacturing tolerances. They are typically tuned to dampen harmonics at a specific RPM range for use with factory cranks. If used on a modified engine they may not be as effective. You may also experience vibration from engine driven accessories like an alternator or A/C compressor. These can be eliminated as suspects by removing the drive belt(s).

If others can't feel it when you point it out then perhaps you're more sensitive to it than others. If it is a real issue there are companies that balance machinery in the field, they can at least confirm an out of balance condition and quantify how bad it is.

My race car has solid mounts and vibrates with a fairly large magnitude at around 1500 to 1800 RPM as it hits a natural frequency with some of the chassis parts. The noise competes with the open exhaust for which is more annoying but it's not a serious problem and NVH is not a concern on a race car.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

4. Thanks Geoff H thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carb or EFI?
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quick question - did you use the right flywheel? I used an externally balanced flywheel on an internally balanced engine. Got the vibration at the same RPM range.

Henry

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am with Jeff... dowel pins?
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't have solid mounts, but I'm assuming the urethane mounts will transmit vibration a little more than stock.
    Dowel pins are in the flywheel
    It is carbed
    It has an aftermarket balancer and 28oz flywheel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Give Mike Forte a call.

Henry