Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Clutch Quadrant Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch Quadrant Issue

Hi Guys,

I’ve just gotten home from a 7 day road trip totaling a bit over 2,200 miles. That brings my total mileage to a little over 21,000 miles. One of my projects is to replace the standard clutch cable with Ford Racing piece with the adjuster at the clutch fork to hopefully get a bit smoother action and adjust the pedal height down a bit for a more comfortable drive.

I started tonight by disconnecting the cable at the quadrant and found I have some vertical play at the quadrant. There doesn’t seem to be any fore and aft. I also don’t feel any play in the pedal. There is some wear on the cable guide of the quadrant. I think you can see it in the photo. I don’t see any wear on the cable, but I don’t have it all the way it of the car yet.

So, normal? Or do I have an issue brewing.

John

7351C035-40B0-4601-A334-D2B834E574D9.jpeg
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been a bunch of pedal and quadrant failures with this setup. FFR changed to a setup that has the quadrant above the pedal instead of offset. My guess is the shaft that holds the pedal is worn or bent. Look from in the foot well for evidence.
    Mike

3. Thanks John4337 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike. I was afraid of that, I moved some wiring and got in there a bit better, and found I can wiggle the quadrant in all directions.....what’s the best move? Am I looking at replacing the pedal box? Doesn’t look like fun on a completed car.
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

OMG, my car is off the road for that EXACT reason. Also, I have 21,000 miles. I was going to change my cable, and found that with the cable off, I could twist the pedal way too much. The holes in the pedal box base plate are ovalized to the point that it was probably going to break before too long. I hope you have a different problem, like a worn or bent shaft. I have been working on mine for a couple weeks and am almost done.

Old on left - new on right.

IMG_1801.JPG

Sooooo, a new pedal box. Removal and installation are tedious to put it lightly. You have to disassemble it piece by piece to get it out. Then the really fun part is to assemble the new one up in the foot box. Seat removed, feet on the rollbar, and head in the foot well. Lots of carpet burns on the elbows. Working in there, every step is measured in hours. Like 3 hours just to get the pedals, shafts, washers, and snap rings in place.

I am changing over to hydraulic. I considered the new quadrant, but decided to go with what the pedal box was really designed for. New pedal box, Master cylinder, hydraulic lines, slave cylinder, pushrod, fittings, reservoir, brackets, etc.

If you are going hydraulic and have a CNC reservoir, I found the last place on earth that has triple CNC reservoirs. They had 8 left when I talked to them.

Good luck. Give me a call if you want to discuss the fun.

I was going to start a thread to warn guys that still have the old setup. Here's your warning!!!
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 05-30-2019 at 03:00 PM.

6. Thanks John4337 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, that sucks.... I’m going to get my bore scope in there and see how bad mine is. I didn’t feel like like I could move the pedal, just the quadrant, and not a lot, maybe I caught mine early. I’m considering a swap to hydraulic now, my concern is I tucked my wiper motor in the foot box due to the a/c. Hope I have room for the extra master cylinder.
    Last edited by John4337; 05-30-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Update - Thinking about hydraulic clutch

I spoke to FFR today, they are sending me a new quadrant.....

I looked a bit harder tonight, seem to look like the lower edge of the pedal box is abrading the quadrant, perhaps allowing the movement?

E0137947-F93F-4D91-A221-66D99C53C627.jpeg

What looks like a shadow is missing material just about the edge of the box

8C0942AC-9279-40B5-B97B-AB54CF685E96.jpeg

3D9A14AD-C9BC-486D-9CA6-745F5B62D94B.jpeg

D258713A-8AC3-469A-9E63-56518D4CFFE0.jpeg

E0724701-3595-40DC-A513-D5EB306A6C2D.jpeg

4DECF59A-F118-4602-B00D-112C24EEBCA5.jpeg

Sooo, not sure I'm hot on pulling everything out to just go back to this. Has anyone installed hydraulic on a completed car? If so, any tips, or things to watch out for? I'm running a 306 with a king cobra clutch.

Thanks

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at Avalanche's pic, that looks like a terrible design. A steel shaft riding in a cast iron housing w/ no bearing or bushing? Am I missing something? If the design isn't changed the same thing will happen again. I don't know how the hydraulic MC would be set up compared to the cable but, if it still uses the same shaft and housing, it will do the same thing.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

10. Thanks John4337 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another Update

I stared tearing things apart, got the bolt with the spacer undone without too much trouble, but the snap rings are a whole other problem. No fun trying to get those off while you're laying on your back in the foot box... anyway I was turning the clutch pivot shaft to get the ring around to a better angle, and this fell out from the area of the pedal. I'm assuming that it used to be round, flat and in one piece at some point, and likely the source of the quadrant movement.

E28E462D-39C1-469D-87E7-A7688B8ECBC5.jpeg

So, anyone have any secret ways to get those snap rings off?

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I got time to pull the parts out and fully assess the problem. The good news is that the pedal and box look ok.

Here is the quadrant damage

Here are washers

Gouge in the pivot shaft

As I mentioned, FFR was kind enough to send a new quadrant assembly, including a new quadrant, support piece, pivot shaft and hardware

Old and new pivot shafts. The new is considerably thicker.

And here is the old and new quadrant with the support piece

Just waiting on some bits from Wilwood to start reassembling everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just so you know your post #9 has no pictures. not even boxes w/ red X's in them.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

14. Thanks John4337 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That’s strange, I can see them...... technology fails me again

EC5EB1C3-AE19-450C-9A86-44A901A57F8A.jpeg
    Last edited by John4337; 06-10-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah John, I don't see them either . . . wierd

17. Thanks John4337 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve notified the webmaster....

Post Thanks / Like
    My conversion to hydraulic is finished up and frankly I love it. Less pedal effort and I actually think it has more feel. I can feel when the clutch fingers roll over, which I could not with cable. My engagement point is also higher which I wanted. I did an autocross yesterday, and all is good.

For snap rings, I have a nice set of Craftsman snap ring pliers with changeable pins. Both straight and angled. I also had a cheap HF pair with changeable heads. They came in handy because they were just smaller. I shifted from going through the footbox top access to having my head in the footwell about a millions times.

If anyone is interested, the place that I found that has CNC triple reservoirs is Kartek offroad. I talked to a guy named Matt. They had 8 left when I talked to them. No doubles (I have one I will probably sell soon).

20. Thanks John4337 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chris. It was just more than I wanted to get into right now, but I foresee changing over at some point

Post Thanks / Like
    My pivot pin walked out. When I received the new kit for FFR, I ditched the snap rings and threaded the pivot pin on both sides. Add bolt to each side
    bolt.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s a very interesting idea...wondering if the bolt and ability to add a larger washer would help stabilize things...

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I was taking out the clutch pedal to place it with the new quadrant kit, I decided to replace it with the forged one. Looks better BUT, the new pedal is wider and now hits the 1" frame tube. As a result, the pedal does not go to the floor as it used to. Its about 1" less travel now. 1" Does not seem like a lot but it does make a difference.
    I also modified the pedal stop in the resting position. That small nut that it supposed to rest on, does not work well.