FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Covering the e-brake hole

Post Thanks / Like

Covering the e-brake hole

My Eastwood Versabend just showed up today so I can start working on a few little sheetmetal tasks. One of these is to cover up the hole for the e-brake handle in the passenger floor since I'll be using an E-Stopp electric e-brake and won't have an e-brake handle. I have a tendency to overthink and overengineer things sometimes, and I've spent a lot of time figuring out how I can fill that hole flush with the surrounding sheetmetal, but I'm wondering if that's even necessary. If I simply make a patch panel that I apply over the hole and attach it with some flush-mount rivets, will that step between the two layers of sheetmetal telegraph through the carpeting or will it totally disappear? FWIW, I'm planning to use the Lizard Skin spray on heat and sound coating under the carpet. I'm inclined to think that the patch panel height mismatch will totally disappear under the Lizard Skin and carpet but am curious what others say.

Thanks,
    John
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    .040 mismatch covered with Lizard Skin (or any other insulation product for that matter) plus carpet? You'll never see it. Especially in that area.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect. Thank you.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would it need to be flush, with flush-mount rivets? All the aluminum on the car is overlapped at the seams and fastened with pop rivets.

5. Thanks frankeeski thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    aside from the over-thinking scenario which from time to time I am accused of myself, how do you plan to install the e-stop?

RickP

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few ideas on the E-Stopp, but not sure if any of them will work yet. Once I drop in the engine/trans for a test fit I'll have a better idea where it will fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I have a few ideas on the E-Stopp, but not sure if any of them will work yet. Once I drop in the engine/trans for a test fit I'll have a better idea where it will fit.
    I wouldn't cover up the e-brake hole until you figure out where and how your going to mount your E-Stop. I looked at doing the same thing and the only option I could come up with (another forum member did this) is mounting it in the trunk. I am running a T5 and even with that, I could not see enough room to mount the E-Stop. I still may go in that direction but interested to see what you come up with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that ship sailed long ago. I cut the e-brake handle mounting bracket off the frame before I had the frame powder coated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that ship sailed long ago. I cut the e-brake handle mounting bracket off the frame before I had the frame powder coated.
    Mr. commitment I see. Let us know how you get the E-Stop mounted and functioning. It really is a nice product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just scab patch that hole with reg rivets, seal it up with silicone. When covered with carpet, NOBODY will be able to tell. Unless you wanna take pictures and tell people, "hey, wanna see what's under that carpet right there?"
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody on here mounted the e-stopp on the driver's side of the trans tunnel. I'm thinking about doing what you are and ditching the e-brake handle for an e-stopp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    aside from the over-thinking scenario which from time to time I am accused of myself, how do you plan to install the e-stop?

RickP
    Maybe look at the fiero mod and use the e-stop unit instead of the fiero handle? That puts the unit on the door side of the driver seat vs near the transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CFranks View Post
    Maybe look at the fiero mod and use the e-stop unit instead of the fiero handle? That puts the unit on the door side of the driver seat vs near the transmission.
    Dang Craig, that would 100% work.