Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote Gen 3 Oil Sensor

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote Gen 3 Oil Sensor

I've read some information that I need a tee for this to include the Ford Harness and some that say I can just get an adapter and place the Speedhut sensor in the without a tee. Has anyone done this without a tee and does it work? I'm being told by FF that they don't have the tee's in stock and I think they are out of the office for the Covid situation. This is really the last item I need to do before go-carting.

Post Thanks / Like
    You absolutely have to have both sensors installed for a Gen 3. I made up my own T shown in my build thread. I've learned since then that Factory Five has come up with a solution and they're available as you said. But not until they're open again. Edited copy and paste from my build thread:

... the Gen 3 Coyote needs to have the OE oil pressure sensor installed. Otherwise the system starts throwing error codes (DTC’s). This is different than the Gen 2 where the OE sensor could be removed and replaced with the aftermarket sensor for the gauge. Also different than what Ford Performance told me when I first asked. Grrr. Although if you call and ask now they will say the OE sensor has to be there. Factory Five will tell you the same thing. Sometimes it hurts a little to be early in the game. The solution is to either modify the PCM calibration, which some have done. Or install a T fitting so both the OE and aftermarket sensor are in the circuit. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. Found a fitting on eBay (eBay item number:163830844345) that was M12x1.5 threads on each end (one male, one female) with a 1/8 NPT tap in the side. Perfect. But the 1/8 NPT was too close to the block to fit the large Speedhut sensor. So used a Vibrant Performance 11330 1/8 NPT female to male 45-degree fitting from Summit. It’s a tight fight, and a little fiddly to get the angles right. Sanded on a crush washer to get the large fitting to clock into the right position. But now it’s installed. Cleared the codes. Ran my engine multiple times. No leaks. No codes. I hope this is fixed. This is what I installed. Speedhut sensor is the one at the top. The OE (smaller) one at the bottom.

Two other comments. (1) If you have the version sensor shown here, some have found it's better to not hard mount them to the engine like this. I personally haven't had a problem and I've done it several times. But another option would be to flex mount the sensor with a short piece of flex line. They're available with the right size connector on each end. (2) I’m seeing where Speedhut has changed their latest oil pressure gauges to a 3-wire voltage output sensor versus this larger 2-wire resistive sensor they’ve been using for some time. The solution might be different for those with newer gauges and a different sensor.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-14-2020 at 04:06 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five has fittings to solve this issue if they open before you need it.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t even have the part edwardb has at the top of his last picture. I have the Speedhut sensor and the original Coyote sensor that came with the engine. I purchased my Gen 3 engine package from FF in August and one would assume they would have things figured out before selling the engine package and sending out the package. I’m now sitting here without the necessary parts necessary to finish my project and my engine warranty slowly expiring.

I was told today by David Bingham form FF that I could just leave the ford Oil sensor in and start the engine without problems but it seems like according to edwardb that’s not the case. I get what’s going on in our county right now and it’s terrible which is making it tough for everyone. With that said I can’t help to fault FF for selling a product they were not ready to sell that I purchased in August of 2019. This isn’t the only problem I’ve had, I’ve had multiple wrong parts sent but I’ve chosen to give FF the benefit of the doubt. Factory Five needs to take responsibility for selling the Gen 3 before they were ready with proper instructions and parts. I’ve had multiple issues including not getting the proper gen 3 instruction manual until a few weeks ago after an email when I asked why it wasn’t posted to their website and I was told “oh I should get IT on that”. I received all Gen 2 parts including the computer mount, harness, etc even though I they sent me the Gen 3. To say I’m frustrated be be the least! I will relax considering the Covid and they are all out of work but this was all before this took place and they should’ve made sure this didn’t happen.
    Last edited by walkerwde; 04-14-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yew, the factory sensor is required. The wiring harness sender is also required to make the oil pressure gauge show the oil pressure. I choose to eliminate the oil bypass solenoid also. I did this be replacing the Gen 3 oil filter adapter with one for a Gen 2 from a 2017 mustang. These pics show the difference in the adapters and the final installation

IMG_6369.jpgIMG_6368.jpgIMG_6372.jpgIMG_6374.jpg.
    MK4 #9191, Gen 3 Coyote, T56, 2015+ IRS, ABS, 12.88 Wilwood's, FFR Tubular Front LCA's, FFR Spindles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwde View Post
    I don’t even have the part edwardb has at the top of his last picture. I have the Speedhut sensor and the original Coyote sensor that came with the engine. I purchased my Gen 3 engine package from FF in August and one would assume they would have things figured out before selling the engine package and sending out the package. I’m now sitting here without the necessary parts necessary to finish my project and my engine warranty slowly expiring.

I was told today by David Bingham form FF that I could just leave the ford Oil sensor in and start the engine without problems but it seems like according to edwardb that’s not the case. I get what’s going on in our county right now and it’s terrible which is making it tough for everyone. With that said I can’t help to fault FF for selling a product they were not ready to sell that I purchased in August of 2019. This isn’t the only problem I’ve had, I’ve had multiple wrong parts sent but I’ve chosen to give FF the benefit of the doubt. Factory Five needs to take responsibility for selling the Gen 3 before they were ready with proper instructions and parts. I’ve had multiple issues including not getting the proper gen 3 instruction manual until a few weeks ago after an email when I asked why it wasn’t posted to their website and I was told “oh I should get IT on that”. I received all Gen 2 parts including the computer mount, harness, etc even though I they sent me the Gen 3. To say I’m frustrated be be the least! I will relax considering the Covid and they are all out of work but this was all before this took place and they should’ve made sure this didn’t happen.
    I didn't say you can't start the engine, go kart it, whatever. I just said it would throw codes. There might be other implications in the longer term so certainly wouldn't leave it that way for any longer than possible. But I wouldn't let this hold up your build for now. My Coupe only had the single Speedhut sensor until the week before it was done when I finally got around to changing what I did initially and putting both sensors in.

The part at the top of the picture is the Speedhut oil pressure sensor from a couple years ago. Maybe you have the newer sensor that I mentioned in the second paragraph if you don't have that part. It's a 3-wire powered sensor versus the 2-wire resistive style sensor.

I get your frustration. Not going to defend Factory Five. They are a little slow catching up with parts and instructions when there are changes. I've been through this twice. Did the Gen 2 in my Roadster when they were just released so was on my own. Ditto that experience with the Gen 3 in my Coupe. Sometimes you just have to take the initiative and figure things out. I also tend to do quite a few things differently than what Factory Five shows in their instructions, so that hasn't held me up. I frankly find the Ford instructions more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuff View Post
    Yew, the factory sensor is required. The wiring harness sender is also required to make the oil pressure gauge show the oil pressure. I choose to eliminate the oil bypass solenoid also. I did this be replacing the Gen 3 oil filter adapter with one for a Gen 2 from a 2017 mustang. These pics show the difference in the adapters and the final installation. [
    Curious what your motivation was for making that change? The oil bypass solenoid isn't hurting anything and somebody at Ford thought it was important enough to include. Was only used on the F150 version before, now on all Coyotes. I'm assuming you're not getting any DTC's with it missing? I'd also sure be cautious about how the oil is flowing behind that Gen 2 adapter on a Gen 3 engine. They don't look exactly the same. Hope it works out for you (and I suspect it will) but it's not a change I would personally recommend. That's just me and my conservative side.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-14-2020 at 10:28 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand your frustration as well.

I would strongly encourage you to leave it be, As Edwardb (Paul) said you can leave the sensor as it is, run it, tune it, do whatever you want until you get the adapter fittings. Just run the sensor wire to the location and tie it securely until its needed. Once you get the fittings, which FFR has as I mentioned, you can put your adapter in and be all set,

There is no need, in my humble opinion, to reinvent the wheel. FFR stuff works just fine.

I , like Paul, am not a fan if disabling stuff Ford put there. if Ford thought they could save $5 per engine, they would. Remember $5 per engine is probably $500,000 (Conservatively) per year for Ford.

Again I understand your frustration, take a deep breath, there are lots of things you can do!

Enjoy the experience, you will run into bumps along the way, working through them is part of the fun. All of us on the forum are here to help if we can.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, there is a new Gen3 install doc out there that details the oil pressure sender setup really well. https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...ter-rev-1B.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coyote Info

Quote Originally Posted by BradCraig View Post
    FWIW, there is a new Gen3 install doc out there that details the oil pressure sender setup really well. https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...ter-rev-1B.pdf
    Thanks for posting this, helpful info.
    Mk4 9735 complete kit delivered 11/29/19 Gen 3 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600, Moser 3.55 First start June 25, 2020 First Go Cart July 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jryasko View Post
    Thanks for posting this, helpful info.
    It def was timely of them to publish. I just ordered my Coyote/TKO a few minutes ago from Forte! It's real now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Curious what your motivation was for making that change? The oil bypass solenoid isn't hurting anything and somebody at Ford thought it was important enough to include. Was only used on the F150 version before, now on all Coyotes. I'm assuming you're not getting any DTC's with it missing? I'd also sure be cautious about how the oil is flowing behind that Gen 2 adapter on a Gen 3 engine. They don't look exactly the same. Hope it works out for you (and I suspect it will) but it's not a change I would personally recommend. That's just me and my conservative side.
    Just my obsessive compulsive nature showing though (I'm an engineer, duh). I put around 100 miles on mine before making the factory oil pressure sensor work. There were not any DTC's associated to the oil bypass solenoid when the oil bypass solenoid wasn't connected. However, Ford Racing instructed me to place a 100 ohm resister in the wiring in place of the solenoid.

Note that without the factory oil pressure sender the ECU limits the engine to about 3500 rpm.
    MK4 #9191, Gen 3 Coyote, T56, 2015+ IRS, ABS, 12.88 Wilwood's, FFR Tubular Front LCA's, FFR Spindles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I'd also sure be cautious about how the oil is flowing behind that Gen 2 adapter on a Gen 3 engine. They don't look exactly the same. Hope it works out for you (and I suspect it will) but it's not a change I would personally recommend. That's just me and my conservative side.
    The block has 3 openings, the 2017 adapter covers all 3. Two of the openings are the filter supply and return, I assume the third is a return to the pan for the oil bypass solenoid. The extra passage on the 2018 adapter is the oil supply to the oil bypass solenoid. There ore not any openings in the block in that location.

Post Thanks / Like
    This may be a stupid question, but if I’m using an oil filter relocation kit (hot rod truck with power steering) with my Gen 3 Coyote, there is a ¼” tap in the relocation bracket for what seems to be a spot for a sender in both the engine side and the relocated filter side. Any reason I couldn’t put the sender there and not attached to the block?
    FFR Hot Rod Truck #79
    Gen III Coyote with 6R80 A/T

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Sensor T

I just finished up on this subject matter as well. FF said they would send me parts to solve this when they had a solution, have not heard a thing. Ford performance said I must have their oil sender in for sure. Listen to the post from Edwardb, he and I had several emails concerning this and we are both up and running fine on the oil sensor issue now. Build a T yourself, its easy to do, just a little tricky to get in. This was my first try..see pic....in the end I swapped the speedhut and ford sensor around and removed the first extension show in the pic. Sorry no pic for that. If you don't do this you will get error codes. If I were to do this now I would get the new oil sender from speedhut. That would make this alot easier than the old big one that many of us had to use.

Oil-T.jpg

Gary
    Last edited by GaryAndy; 04-16-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for all your reply's and suggestions. Thanks BradCraig for the new Gen 3 manual it has way better instructions in regards to this oil sensor. Once again this is why I've been so frustrated with FF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but if I’m using an oil filter relocation kit (hot rod truck with power steering) with my Gen 3 Coyote, there is a ¼” tap in the relocation bracket for what seems to be a spot for a sender in both the engine side and the relocated filter side. Any reason I couldn’t put the sender there and not attached to the block?
    That would be a good location for the gauge sender. Note that my gauge was 1/8" NPT so you may need an adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post

Yes- that is perfectly acceptable and that is the recommendation from ffr with that relocator.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an observation on your setup. That is quite a bit hanging on that brass tee. Might want to replace with a steel part at some point. The joint of the threads to body is the weak point and with vibration could snap off. By the time you realize it it could be catastrophic. Just the opinion of a mechanic for 40 plus years and someone who usually overbuilding things.
    Mk4 9735 complete kit delivered 11/29/19 Gen 3 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600, Moser 3.55 First start June 25, 2020 First Go Cart July 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve got all the parts to get this far with it but I need an adaptor to come off the tee and into the engine. Does anyone know where I could find an adapter that works? I tried the plumbing supply store and Napa but no luck.

2A031C95-5697-4155-8F25-6A26AC32769D.jpg2A031C95-5697-4155-8F25-6A26AC32769D.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I am hoping you can help me out here.
    I have a 2018 gen 3 coyote and installed a MMR oil filter relocator kit. On the OEM filter unit were 2 sensors. Oil temp i guess and the other one is the camshaft timing solenoid I believe (pic).
    I wonder now where this will go since the MMR kit blocks this all off. Please help out, thx

[ATTACH=CONFIG]141400[/ATTACH20210123_135049.jpg