BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Odyssey extreme pc925 battery wil not charge

Post Thanks / Like

Odyssey extreme pc925 battery wil not charge

Well I installed this battery in the fall on 2018 was fine then but did not use it over the winter so I disconnected it over the winter when I reconnected it was dead and now it will not take a charge at all , not sure what to do but after reading some of the reviews on Amazon it seems that this battery will do this . Any advise would be great ! thanks ,Herb
    Last edited by herb fraser; 05-31-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/jgYxEvwesCU (Wow visegrip battery clamps?!?!!??) main reason for video is it talks about sulfation. So do a google search on battery sulfation.

When batteries discharge that are not deep cycle batteries they build up crystals on the plates in the battery. Sometimes they come back and sometimes they don’t. It depends how long they’ve been dead. That’s why you see guys on here talking about trickle chargers and battery tenders. They keep a battery charged and thus no sulfation. Most battery manufactures won’t warranty batteries for that. So one thing NOT to say is the battery sat dead for a long period of time. (I never said that on the grounds it may incriminate me) I worked for a car dealer for 25 years and cars that sat for any long period of time the manufacture would not warranty the batteries for new cars. Sales was supposed to either charge them or run the cars to keep them charged. Needless to say Sales ate a whole bunch of batteries. My boat and jet skis went thru batteries because I never kept them charged in the winters. I gave up trying to charge them because they never took a full charge and it was never fun trying to get a jump on the river or the middle of a lake somewhere. I have an M3 I don’t drive much and it has a tender on it. BMW can tell it’s not being driven (damn computers) and won’t warranty a non charged battery. So at almost $400 to replace, I keep a tender on it.
    So I’d say you have a 50/50 shot on warranty coverage. (Just remember ‘it never sat for a long time’ or ‘I religiously start it every week, two at the most’ ) It’s not very honest, but it helps. Just think of it maybe as one of your door panels. Someone left it on their roof for a year and sent it back to you saying the vinyl was cracking.... “but Herb its been in my garage the whole time” Hmmmm like the tv show “what would you do”? Lol
    Good luck

Kurt
    Last edited by SSNK4US; 05-30-2019 at 10:04 PM.
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    https://youtu.be/jgYxEvwesCU (Wow visegrip battery clamps?!?!!??) main reason for video is it talks about sulfation. So do a google search on battery sulfation.

When batteries discharge that are not deep cycle batteries they build up crystals on the plates in the battery. Sometimes they come back and sometimes they don’t. It depends how long they’ve been dead. That’s why you see guys on here talking about trickle chargers and battery tenders. They keep a battery charged and thus no sulfation. Most battery manufactures won’t warranty batteries for that. So one thing NOT to say is the battery sat dead for a long period of time. (I never said that on the grounds it may incriminate me) I worked for a car dealer for 25 years and cars that sat for any long period of time the manufacture would not warranty the batteries for new cars. Sales was supposed to either charge them or run the cars to keep them charged. Needless to say Sales ate a whole bunch of batteries. My boat and jet skis went thru batteries because I never kept them charged in the winters. I gave up trying to charge them because they never took a full charge and it was never fun trying to get a jump on the river or the middle of a lake somewhere. I have an M3 I don’t drive much and it has a tender on it. BMW can tell it’s not being driven (damn computers) and won’t warranty a non charged battery. So at almost $400 to replace, I keep a tender on it.
    So I’d say you have a 50/50 shot on warranty coverage. (Just remember ‘it never sat for a long time’ or ‘I religiously start it ever week, two at the most’ ) It’s not very honest, but it helps. Just think of it maybe as one of your door panels. Someone left it on their roof for a year and sent it back to you saying the vinyl was cracking.... “but Herb its been in my garage the whole time” Hmmmm like the tv show “what would you do”? Lol
    Good luck

Kurt
    Thanks I will call them tomorrow The battery was purchased last September through Amazon
    Last edited by herb fraser; 05-31-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Batteries are date coded... month and year... so ?
    Still could have been sitting for 7-8 months. Did you buy it retail or online? I managed some retail auto parts stores for a few years and took care of people sometimes because of “attitude adjustments” lol being upfront with me was a plus...
    talk to them and see what they say.

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Herb, if you don't already, buy a charger/maintainer for use with AGM batteries. I have a half a dozen Deltran Battery Tenders because I've always had good luck with them but there are many out there. The AGM charger/maintainer can be used on most other batteries as well, so it's money well spent. Next is something I learned from the place I buy batteries from. When charging a fully discharged AGM battery you have to trick the battery into charging. In other words the charger, as smart as it is, views a fully discharged AGM battery as an open circuit and therefore will not actually start to charge the battery. If you have a second battery that is good, AGM or not, and connect it in parallel to the discharged battery. That means positive to positive and negative to negative, then connecting the charger so it is charging both batteries. You basically connect the two batteries together with a set of booster cables then connect the charger. This will bring the voltage of both batteries to a voltage level to trick the charger into turning on. I've used this method quite a few times with good success.
    Frank

6. Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Herb, you kept the battery in a heated area, not in a freezing garage all winter long....right? Wink wink.
    I've got the same PC925 battery in my 33, it about a year old but connected to a battery tender more than 50% of the time.

SSNK4US, $400 for a battery??? Don't buy it from BMW. My 540i/6 has a NAPA Legend battery ($150) that is now 11 years old and also on a battery tender 50% of the time. It's still good.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on what frank said too herb... worth a try. But see what happens when you call them first. Better to get a new one than a sulfated old one.

Yeah they’re about that for the newer cars with AGM’s Jim. Somewhere in that neighborhood with programming. Also since the E90’s (3’s) E60’s (5’s) and E38’s (7’s) and later you need to tell the car (whether it be a dealer or a shop that can program it) that it has a new fresh battery because it totally changes the charging rate the alternator puts out. Bunch of high tech garbage but true. I spent 25 years with them....

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked in a Chrysler dealership for forty years and have rejuvenated many batteries doing exactly what Frankeeski suggested. It doesn't always work but it's worth a shot.
    Ian G

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys will try that trick
    I also tried jumping the battery my jeep still that would not charge it
    Last edited by herb fraser; 05-31-2019 at 01:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kurt, not to change the subject, if you look on line for INPA (free download or buy it on eBay) you can install it on a notebook computer and connect it to the car to diagnose the whole car and to register the battery.

Herb, another good charger is the Noco Genius Smart Charger, it comes in a few different charge rates.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm running the Optima Battery, but now you guys have me worried.

Check Out The Crazy Scotty K's Recent Video:

https://youtu.be/hKo5iJ2rH7o

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It looks like Autozone sells a similar Absorbed Glass Mat Battery or AGM as they call them.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...platinum%20agm

Thanks for making me think gang!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL Scotty is always such a trip to watch. I love his videos, they make you laugh. But most of the stuff he says always makes sense. He’s an actual real world guy.

Thanks Jim, I’ve seen that kind of stuff but it’s on a tender so no worries for me

Herb please let us know how your phone call goes, maybe you’ll just get a free battery? I’ll cross my fingers for ya.

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the best answers when talking to the manufacture or anyone else for that matter, are truthful. It's not the manufacture's' fault if you didn't use the product as intended. I'm surprised at the many answers that border on lying just to get a free battery. I did the same thing to my first Optima battery, took it back and told them exactly what happened. They didn't cover it so I bought another. It was a lesson learned and I didn't come away with a feeling of comprised integrity. Herb, some of your future costumers are reading this thread and may get the wrong impression of how you conduct business. I bought your panels and think you are a standup man.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on what frank said too herb... worth a try. But see what happens when you call them first. Better to get a new one than a sulfated old one.

Yeah they’re about that for the newer cars with AGM’s Jim. Somewhere in that neighborhood with programming. Also since the E90’s (3’s) E60’s (5’s) and E38’s (7’s) and later you need to tell the car (whether it be a dealer or a shop that can program it) that it has a new fresh battery because it totally changes the charging rate the alternator puts out. Bunch of high tech garbage but true. I spent 25 years with them....

Kurt
    I do all my own BMW battery replacements. There are Phone apps that will let you reset the charge rate.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    I think the best answers when talking to the manufacture or anyone else for that matter, are truthful. It's not the manufacture's' fault if you didn't use the product as intended. I'm surprised at the many answers that border on lying just to get a free battery. I did the same thing to my first Optima battery, took it back and told them exactly what happened. They didn't cover it so I bought another. It was a lesson learned and I didn't come away with a feeling of comprised integrity. Herb, some of your future costumers are reading this thread and may get the wrong impression of how you conduct business. I bought your panels and think you are a standup man.
    Slippery slope huh ?... that’s why I referenced the show “what would you do” and the analogy of one of his door panels on the roof for a year.

Also no argument on the phone apps to reprogram either. But they weren’t around 5 or 6 years ago though, at least not to my knowledge....

Kurt
    Last edited by SSNK4US; 05-31-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Kurt
    First of all thanks for the advise . But your quote ( Slippery slope huh ?... that’s why I referenced the show “what would you do” and the analogy of one of his door panels on the roof for a year.) is not even remotely close to what going on with my battery
    Any new battery in my opinion should be able to sit disconnected for 3 month without being ruined !
    Last edited by herb fraser; 05-31-2019 at 04:23 PM.

19. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    QOUTE FROM 2bking : I bought your panels and think you are a standup man
    Thanks , I try to be !
    Herb
    Last edited by herb fraser; 05-31-2019 at 04:35 PM.

21. Thanks SSNK4US thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Herb please don’t think I was saying you weren’t a stand up guy because everyone knows you are!!

Sometimes words or thoughts don’t come out right on here and I sincerely apologize.

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Herb please don’t think I was saying you weren’t a stand up guy because everyone knows you are!!

Sometimes words or thoughts don’t come out right on here and I sincerely apologize.

Kurt
    No worries . the words do sometimes appear to be said wrong. All is well,
    Herb
    Last edited by herb fraser; 06-07-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    Herb, if you don't already, buy a charger/maintainer for use with AGM batteries. I have a half a dozen Deltran Battery Tenders because I've always had good luck with them but there are many out there. The AGM charger/maintainer can be used on most other batteries as well, so it's money well spent. Next is something I learned from the place I buy batteries from. When charging a fully discharged AGM battery you have to trick the battery into charging. In other words the charger, as smart as it is, views a fully discharged AGM battery as an open circuit and therefore will not actually start to charge the battery. If you have a second battery that is good, AGM or not, and connect it in parallel to the discharged battery. That means positive to positive and negative to negative, then connecting the charger so it is charging both batteries. You basically connect the two batteries together with a set of booster cables then connect the charger. This will bring the voltage of both batteries to a voltage level to trick the charger into turning on. I've used this method quite a few times with good success.
    Herb,

My brother told me to charge my Optima battery in this manner when it was laid up for an extended period, about a year, and it worked.
    I don't have a FANCY battery charger, so I yanked the battery out of our boat and charged the Optima in the way described by Frankeeski.
    Now I keep a dual post battery around to maintain my AGM Red Top since it was cheaper than buying Optima's battery charger.

Steve

PS: I've got your door panels too, but picked them up from a fellow forum member.
    ......They aren't on the car yet, but will be if I ever get this sucker finished.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-02-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great News ! I purchased this battery from Battery Mart on Amazon, I called Battery Mart and was told that they did not have a record of my purchase and nothing they could do , that's BS!
    I then called Amazon and within 2 minutes I got a full refund direct form Amazon ! and don't even need to return the bad battery, Now thats Great service !!!!
    Last edited by herb fraser; 06-07-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that IS great news Herb! I’m really glad it worked out!

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    me too !
    Wow that IS great news Herb! I’m really glad it worked out!

Kurt