Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Bench Grinder vs Bench Sander (disc & belt)

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like

Bench Grinder vs Bench Sander (disc & belt)

I'm impatiently waiting for my kit to arrive in about a week, and am getting some last minute tools together. I'm debating between adding a bench grinder vs getting a combo bench sander that has a disc and a belt. Anybody want to chime in on the pros and cons of each, or which you think would be more valuable in the build?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Thanks Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    belt sander is more precise to do clearincing on double d shafting
    have not done much grinding with bench grinder, small portable 4 or 4 1/2 in may have more use if you have to grind or weld on frame

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up one of these at the start of my build, and have already used it more times than I can count:

https://www.amazon.com/RIKON-Power-T.../dp/B00SOR43O0

I also have a bench grinder that I very seldom use. I vote for the combo sander.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

5. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I picked up one of these at the start of my build, and have already used it more times than I can count:

https://www.amazon.com/RIKON-Power-T.../dp/B00SOR43O0

I also have a bench grinder that I very seldom use. I vote for the combo sander.

Hmmm, I've been contemplating one of these for a while now, but not really found a good excuse to buy it ( like a job that can only be done properly if you have one). Never having owned one, what are the types of jobs where you find this becomes invaluable?

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, there probably aren't many jobs that can't be done properly without it, but lots of jobs that are just a little easier with it. For example, (off the top of my head) when I cut the rod ends for the sway bars, I was able to square the cut ends and clean them up. Shock and sway bar spacers that were a touch too long or not square or full of burrs all got cleaned up on the disc sander... nothing that couldn't have been done with a file. Sheetmetal and bracket edges cleaned up... lots of little tasks.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

8. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Honestly, there probably aren't many jobs that can't be done properly without it, but lots of jobs that are just a little easier with it. For example, (off the top of my head) when I cut the rod ends for the sway bars, I was able to square the cut ends and clean them up. Shock and sway bar spacers that were a touch too long or not square or full of burrs all got cleaned up on the disc sander... nothing that couldn't have been done with a file. Sheetmetal and bracket edges cleaned up... lots of little tasks.
    Thanks John. Pretty much what I thought. I do a lot of freehand stuff with an angle grinder that a belt sander probably would do with a much better degree of control. Will see about getting one while waiting for the kit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with the sander. get the largest one you can find. I bought this maybe 8 yrs ago.
    https://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-4-...1&blockType=G1
    I bought it for a wood working project but it is invaluable. Before I got an old lathe I was able to trim and square the ends of the UCA sleeves which is dang near impossible any other common garage equipment way. I use it w/ the belt in a horizontal position mostly. When you cut a piece of aluminum it is really nice to be able to clean up the edges and round the corners. Be sure the small 'table' for the disc is real solid. No bent sheet metal, you want a casting.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

11. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using a Delta 1-inch belt/8-inch disk sander for years, and has been indispensable throughout my builds. I use it multiple times a day. I can't put a number on how many parts I've fabricated. But between the belt and the disk, works great to clean up edges, straighten edges of aluminum, clean up cut-off bolts, etc. Models with a wider belt have their advantages. But I also like how the smaller 1-inch belt can reach around inside of things. This is the one I have, and it's now discontinued. Although I found I can still get parts for it. One of the table handles broke, and figured I was going to have to buy a new one. Several options, including the Jet brand I was looking at. But found the part and that was a slightly cheaper option. For now.

https://www.wttool.com/index/page/pr...Delta+INACTIVE
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

13. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Ryobi grinder that I used several times on the build (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-...612G/205216320). Its pretty cheap, but worked just fine for my needs. I do go over things with a sander after grinding, so it might be worth having both tools and going with lower end stuff if you arent going to use them a lot outside of the build.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'll use a sander more frequently than a grinding wheel but bench grinders do much more than simply grind steel.

I do a lot of fabrication work and I have one combo belt/disc sander and two pedestal grinders I use 7-days a week. The two grinders are outfitted with grinding wheels, a large SS wire wheel, and a med-hard cloth polishing wheel (two grinders and four wheels). One of the grinding wheels is used only for sharpening TIG tungsten and the other is a large course grinding wheel for roughing steel -- that wheel is only used occasionally. Together, all three of these are essentials for my work. If I didn't TIG weld I'd probably have just one grinder and it would be outfitted with a polishing wheel and wire wheel.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

16. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bench grinder. I don't use it that much. I wish I had a disc / belt sander. when I did my build I would have used it constantly.

Go for the sander.

18. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have two bench grinders one has wire & polishing wheels the other aggressive & not so aggressive grit wheels. The belt/disc combo got a lot of use building the car & a good choice if you only want one machine.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

20. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the responses guys/gals. I figured the combo sander would be more useful, and glad to hear I'm not entirely off base. I think I'll do the bench sander and just acquire a cordless angle grinder such that I don't need a bench grinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of different iterations of grinder/sanders. See the picture below. The one in the background is and older version of the one Edwardb mentions. It's a 1" sanding belt with a disk on the side. It's an invaluable tool. The one in the foreground is called a MultiTool. I've had it a year or so and it also is very versatile. You buy the tool without the motor. I picked up the 3/4 hp motor at Harbor Freight. The MultiTool has both sanding belts in various grits as well as a polishing belt. I find that these days I use the MultiTool the most. The other side of the motor has a wire brush wheel.

20190531_163846.jpg

23. Thanks Jetfuel thanked for this post
    Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use this puppy all the time:

It's a 3 hp variable speed 2x72" that can run dead slow all the way up to balls out and chews steel like candy. I've had it for years while making knives, and it's an indispensable tool for me. I also have an 8" precision ground flat disc set up on a 3/4 hp motor and the same VFD, though the flat platen on the belt grinder is usually enough. I haven't touched a bench grinder in years.

25. Likes Houdini liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My belt sander is a 2 X 48”, the disc is 12”. I have also added a wire wheel outboard of my sanding belt where I can clean up burred threads or edges without getting overly aggressive. I mostly use my pedistal grinder for sharpening drill bits and tig tungsten. Both are good additions for any shop but I use my sanding machine more than my grinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.