Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: I'm joining the club

Post Thanks / Like

I'm joining the club

I finally took the plunge and ordered a Mk4 complete kit. Between attending the build school last month and the FF5 sell it pushed me over the edge. FF5 will be supplying; powered coated frame, all the IRS goodies w/ 13” brake kit, leather steering wheel and seats, power steering, body cut outs, assembled louvers, 17x9/10.5 halibrand wheels, chrome roll bars, sun visors and wind wings. I deleted the side exhaust and ordered the blank dash. I did not order a heater, not sure about this one. Delivery is scheduled for the end of Aug.

Drive train will be by Mike Forte, Coyote gen 2, TKO 600 Hyd clutch, scatter shield and SS headers w/ cats. I think I have been driving Mike crazy in the last week by asking a bunch of stupid questions

Since I live in Southern California I will probably be talking with Dabat about paint, which will be dark blue or purple. I had a Porsche that was lapis blue that I really liked, may be close to this???

Other goodies on my list; Russ Thomson turn signals, drive shaft safety loop, heated seats and gas-n side pipes.

Tools I still need to get; torque wrench, brake flaring tool, 100 clecos and pliers, pneumatic riveter and maybe a 18” sheet metal brake from HF.

2. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and congratulations. Sounds like a solid plan. Please keep us posted on your progress and don’t be bashful about ranking questions.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so your both up way too early on a Saturday morning LOL!

More welcome and congrats!!!! X2 on your build plan. I’m thinking since you’ve been around since 2014 your pretty familiar with the forum and all the people and vast knowledge they have. Are you planning a build thread? Don’t be afraid to ask questions or for help or support on anything. Looking forward to watching your progress!

Welcome again!

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome! Mike Forte is good people. I've bought a few things from him and his customer service is excellent!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and welcome to the madness

For me there’s always something you would like to add or just make better once you get the car on the road and log some miles but that’s what makes process interesting

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard, and enjoy the build. Mike was a good choice, got my drivetrain from him, just turned 21,000 miles without issues. Just hang on to your wallet, this group is great a spending your money

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to a new way of life. Ask FFR if they currently have the IRS brakes in stock. I think they have been out for a while. If still out, consider a salvage rear suspension and be sure it includes the OE ford brakes. I am running them and they work very well.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

9. Likes Yolo liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome To The Factory Five Family!

While you are waiting for your kit may I recommend that you dig through this build thread by Sir Edwardb?
    He is a master award winning hobbyist builder and this particular build is a Coyote with an IRS so it really should give you some lift.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...iversary-Build

Also, consider getting the manual, physical paper copy preferred, and read that sucker a few times before you start.
    It really helps with familiarizing you with the process and will make doing the inventory much, much easier.

Again, Welcome To The Factory Five Family!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-02-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

Definitely start a build thread. In addition to having several dozen eyes checking your work, it's an invaluable reference tool for maintenance.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Welcome To The Factory Five Family!

While you are waiting for your kit may I recommend that you dig through this build thread by Sir Edwardb?
    He is a master award winning hobbyist builder and this particular build is a Coyote with an IRS so it really should give you some lift.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...iversary-Build

Also, consider getting the manual, physical paper copy preferred, and read that sucker a few times before you start.
    It really helps with familiarizing you with the process and will make doing the inventory much, much easier.

Again, Welcome To The Factory Five Family!

Steve
    I stated reviewing Edwardb's build last week, good advice. I was lucky to meet Paul and his beautiful car at the build school. The build school gives you the manual, I’m about Ľ the way thru it, it’s black and white, I’ve heard there is one in color that is more clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody have a picture showing all the boxes? I'm trying to figure out how many closets in the house I will need to clean out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used my spare front bedroom lol
    That’s a queen sized bed

D46B53A2-F2EB-4DD4-8C77-2BF5F21C3278.jpg7F8121B5-F269-4290-A79E-13EA3A1357F2.jpeg

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, not to bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great meeting you and the other students at the build school. That's something our club supports and I personally really enjoy. These pictures were the Roadster you saw right after we had it home from Wareham. The 20th Anniversary kits were complete kits plus wheels and a few other things. I also had a somewhat sizeable backorder list, so a few more boxes came later. The seats are sitting in the cockpit, out of the box, because didn't have room for them in my trailer or SUV once everything else was packed.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. You are in for a lot of fun.

Since you are thinking about the heater, go ahead and do it. Even in SoCal (I used to live in Pasadena), there are chilly mornings if you are heading out to an event in Jan - Feb. Also you could head up north, or to Tahoe, etc. Easy to do now, hard to do later. I am in Florida and use mine more than you might think.

Torque wrench - The HF cheapies are fine. There have been many tests put up on Youtube, and they are more than good enough for automotive use. Their new nicer ones (Icon), have been completely beating Snap-On in accuracy and repeatability.
    Flaring tool - The $30 kits (Parts stores, Summitt, Amazon, etc) are only good up to about 5/16" After that, they let the tube slip and make a mess out of things. Don't even think about stainless. Ridged makes some nice ones that don't break the bank and get the job done, even with stainless. Don't forget that there two different angles that typically get used. 37 and 45. Always use a bender. The ones with handles, not those little wrap-around circle ones. Nothing makes a nice build look sloppy like hand bent lines.
    Pneumatic riveter. I didn't see the need for one. But some guys love them. You WILL need a rivet gun with a swivel head at some point.
    Metal brake - Get the 30" one. Even with 30", you will wish for more at least once.
    If you don't know what rivnuts are.......you will want one of those tools also. HF tool is fine. Rivnuts from McMaster-Carr.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got so excited when by clecos’s were delivered I moved my ship date up a month, from the end of Aug to end of July.

I’m still on the fence with having a heater; it would seem that with top down motoring the heater would not do much. I guess it would be similar to my old Jeep Willy’s, it sort of kept our legs warm. And I’m not fond of defrost vents, which I guess you could leave off.

One item on my cost spread sheet that is still missing is the cost for powder coating; I only plan on doing the engine compartment, $200-$500?. Any recommended venders in Orange County Ca?

Tools left to purchase; Spring loaded punch, Metric and SAE tap sets, nitrile gloves, Tin snips (3), Head lamp, #30 & 1/8" drill bits, Eastwood Flare Tool set, Pneumatic Riveter, Rivnut tool set & Flare Tool set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although you are in Cali, I'd still do a heater. Makes things more acceptable when it's chilly. A few friends whose wives go with them, got a small blanket and clipped the edge to the bottom of the dash. Wife pulled the other side of the blanket to her waist so she was warm from waist down which made a bigger difference than one would expect.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I built my car with a heater but no defrost vents in Southern California (Coto de Caza) and it drove there for 14 years; now in Houston. I definitely use it in the cooler months and cap it at the fan in the summer.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like

Ship date is approaching fast

My kit is ready to ship July 27th, so I am expecting a delivery mid to late August. I added a heater and a trunk strut to my order. I built my chassis dolly last weekend out of some extra 4x4's I had laying around. I used 1/2" all thread to keep everything secure. Next I will tackling the body buck. Hopefully my chassis dolly picture is attached.
    Chassis dolly.jpg

I remember seeing some really good write ups on taking inventory, can't seem to find them now. Any hints where I might be able to find them would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOVE the wheel chocks!!! Reminds me of my old flying days. They are pretty cool! I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody do that before. Tic toc tic toc.... you’ve gotta be getting anxious

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobm488 View Post
    Does anybody have a picture showing all the boxes? I'm trying to figure out how many closets in the house I will need to clean out.
    Here you go20190224_123242.jpg23 boxes

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ponymedic, thats a lot of boxes

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I have the same completion date. Today I got my Wilwood brakes delivered. I understand that the rear axle should arrive next (solid rear for me). Hmm, I wonder if our kits will be on the same truck?

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    My Kit shows up Thursday night, right after dropping off her half sister to TMartin in Las Vegas. Have people been tipping the Stewart drivers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobm488 View Post
    My Kit shows up Thursday night, right after dropping off her half sister to TMartin in Las Vegas. Have people been tipping the Stewart drivers?
    Generally yes. If you're happy with the service provided. $50 - $100 is what I've seen mentioned. My Coupe build was the only one that I've had Stewart deliver. He kept in constant communication, did a good job with the delivery, and required some effort to get in and out of my neighborhood. I tipped him $100. Seemed genuinely appreciative, but never acted like it was expected. Do what you think is appropriate.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-07-2019 at 05:02 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s was like 108 or something like that at 5:00. He helped get everything in the garage and didn’t skip a beat. I gave him a hundred bucks. I’m usually a good tipper and like Edwardb said you see 50-100. He didn’t seem like he was waiting for it.
    Great guy.

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Some progrress on the build

Kit showed up Thursday Aug 8th. I finished inventory over the weekend. A lot of mystery parts but eventually figured them out.
    IMG_1485.JPG
    This Friday, installed the front end, some parts a couple of times.
    IMG_1510.jpg
    Yesterday my wife and I installed the IRS pumpkin. Just as much fun as everyone has mentioned. Used a friends trans jack to lift it up into place. One front and one back bolt went in real easy, the other two were a pain in the butt. probably took 3 hours to get it all buttoned up.
    IMG_1557.jpg
    Is there a way to move this post to the build thread, or do I need to start a new one over there?

30. Likes GoDadGo liked this post