Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2018 GT350 Voodoo 5.2L Powerplant Swap?? Can it be done?

Post Thanks / Like

2018 GT350 Voodoo 5.2L Powerplant Swap?? Can it be done?

Locally a shop just listed a 2018 GT350 Voodoo 5.2L engine. They have the flatplane crank like the Ferrari V8's as well as the extra RPM's. I think it would be an awesome build but not sure if they would fit the same as the Coyote's in our cars? Any recommendations on fitment on the Coyote's or if this would be possible at all?

Here is a link to the engine I am looking at: https://lsswap.parts/product/2018-gt...-speed-manual/

Post Thanks / Like
    Expect it would fit. Would call FORD performance & confirm that the ECU will work or if you need one of their crate engine variants.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford Performance doesn't support that engine as a crate motor. So don't expect they will have a PCM or tune for you. You'll be on your own there I think. I've personally talked directly to Ford Performance engineers about why they don't offer this engine as a crate motor. First for marketing reasons. But also because it's a bit of a beast. There's a reason flat plane cranks aren't common, especially in this larger displacement. Vibration. The Ford guys told me there is a very long list of parts on the GT350 Mustang specifically to deal with it. Includes motor mounts, headers, mufflers, muffler mounts, just to name a few. Was told that in our cars with the rigid frame, etc. things would break. Interesting that their newest halo car, the 2020 GT500 Mustang, is back to the cross plane crank. Not trying to discourage you, but there are definite challenges with this engine going into one of our builds. A Gen 3 Coyote with power adders is going to have similar if not more HP and similar RPM range. Just not the exact sound.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Expect it would fit. Would call FORD performance & confirm that the ECU will work or if you need one of their crate engine variants.
    They recently sold another one that started up right on the pallet. It says they don't require Fords ECU and they come standard from MARS with a control pack and ECU flashed to run.

This is the one they sold recently that ran. Following their Facebook a lady bought it for her '67 Mustang https://lsswap.parts/product/2017-gt...nkey-swap-kit/

Post Thanks / Like
    I called them as well. They told me they didn't sell it as a crate engine because they were keeping it completely exclusive to the GT350. I can see vibration being an issue, but MARS might be able to supply all of the factory pieces to use to fabricate the engine in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmracing0105 View Post
    I called them as well. They told me they didn't sell it as a crate engine because they were keeping it completely exclusive to the GT350. I can see vibration being an issue, but MARS might be able to supply all of the factory pieces to use to fabricate the engine in.
    What I described wasn't the result of calling the help desk and getting their standard responses. It was actual Ford engineering types in my garage workshop looking at my builds and talking shop. Helps to live in the area. Free flowing and very open discussion. I think it's more complicated than swapping in more parts. But do what you want, of course, and sounds like you're pretty serious about making it work. Good luck. Share what you come up with. The possibility of using this engine comes up frequently.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    They're using the Ford ECU but not the Ford wiring harness. My guess is that it's a stripped and pruned version of the wiring harness. As edwardb stated, it'll fit because it's the same dimensions but you'll have to be careful handling the vibrations in the car. The way they have it, it should be like dropping in any Coyote based crate engine. You'll also need to account for the TR3160 transmission being different and the crazy high price.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by q4stix View Post
    ...You'll also need to account for the TR3160 transmission being different and the crazy high price.
    And having the car sound like two fart can Hondas as it goes down the road because that's the sound the flat plane V8 makes with no X crossover in the exhaust.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    If I remember right, in the GT350 they use unequal length headers to give it more of a traditional American V8 uneven rumble over the traditional flat plain crank even rev that a Ferrari has. I remember a few automotive journalist made themselves look stupid by claiming it now sounded like a Ferrari. The GT350 does not actually sound anything like a Ferrari, and Ford made it that way intentionally. However, once you give that engine a different exhaust system it will probably sound more even revving. What one person likes in the sound area is opinion based, so some may like that while others hate it. Personally, it think that V8 Ferrari's sound terrible and I like a deep tone and more rumble. I think the Coyote sounds fantastic and am much happier with it or an mean cammed small block then the high picked whale of a lot of exotics.
    Last edited by Tree; 06-03-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    And having the car sound like two fart can Hondas as it goes down the road because that's the sound the flat plane V8 makes with no X crossover in the exhaust.

Jeff
    I think with a well designed exhaust and not something that has really thin walls, no real muffler, or terrible resonance, it would be closer to the GT40 bundle of snakes exhaust. Most GT40 setups that I've seen don't have a crossover either although they have both collectors right next to each other which gives the sound similar to a crossover. I'm planning a tri-y on mine so we'll see how that goes too and how it sounds in the end.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder