Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Twin Busch Sissor lift with mk4 frame

Post Thanks / Like

Twin Busch Sissor lift with mk4 frame

I purchased a Twin Busch c-19 scissor lift for my garage primarily for working on my mk4 roadster. I'm setting it up and trying to determine how far apart to put both sides of the lift to accommodate the 24" main width of the 4" frame tubes?

Is there another way to pick up the roadster other than the main 4" round tubes?

I'm thinking I might have to fabricate some sort of "bridge" to keep enough separation on the lifts so I can work underneath and have access to the engine, transmission etc.

If anyone has experience with this lift I would appreciate some pointers.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ron,

I have a similar lift. I used two 4 x 4’s with notches cutout for the 4 inch round tubes to sit in. That way I could move the lifts in or out on the frame without issue and the lift just contacted the wood.

Thx,

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65 Cobra Dude View Post
    Ron,

I have a similar lift. I used two 4 x 4’s with notches cutout for the 4 inch round tubes to sit in. That way I could move the lifts in or out on the frame without issue and the lift just contacted the wood.

Thx,

Henry
    Several months ago I followed Henry's advice and did the same thing with my Quick Jacks. Works really well. I glued and screwed 3 2x4's together. Now I can have my quick jacks as wide as my tires. I can freely move around under the center of the car now.
    Lifted.jpg

Not sure why the picture keeps posting upside down....
    Last edited by Dewey McBride; 06-03-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great idea, thanks for sharing. I like the extra failure tolerance of multiple 2x4s, too. Probably overkill, but my motto is "There's no kill like overkill".

Dewey - I don't see notches for the 4" round tubes in your picture, do you find they're not needed?
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    This is a great idea, thanks for sharing. I like the extra failure tolerance of multiple 2x4s, too. Probably overkill, but my motto is "There's no kill like overkill".

Dewey - I don't see notches for the 4" round tubes in your picture, do you find they're not needed?
    I think that notches might make it more stable but not really necessary. I also have some tubing on my frame that i have to be careful of. An added benefit of using the wood is there is more stability when up in the air due to the wider stance. The main tubes are only 24 inches apart from each other. Now I can go out 38 inches and it's very stable. One thing to remember, our cars are pretty low so you may have to drive up on wood to get the jack and bridge under the car. I made this ramp to drive my car up. Gives me an extra 3 inches of clearance.
    Wood Ramp.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the ideas.I will let you know how it turns out.

Ron