FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: June 6th Was The 75th Anniversary Of D-Day!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

June 6th Was The 75th Anniversary Of D-Day!

Did You Know Anyone Special Who Served During WW-II

Sherman Hernandez
    I was fortunate enough to know my Uncle Sherman who was a flight engineer on a C-47.
    He was part of the D-Day invasion transporting paratroopers behind enemy lines.
    He was a tall man, nearly 6'4" who always sat on his parachute since he was a very long legged fellow.
    That parachute saved his life when a piece of shrapnel came through the underside of the plane lodging his chute.
    He never talked much about the war, but did talk about the fun they had when they toted Bob Hope for a few of his U.S.O. shows.
    The flight crews even got together with Mr. Hope when he reigned as King Baccus during Mardi-Gras in the early 1970's.

Victor Henderson
    Paw Paw Victor (Mrs. Go-Dad's Grandfather) was a Tank Crew Member & Mechanic who land landed at Normandy on that fateful day.
    The only thing he ever told me about the War was that it was Bad, Really Bad!
    He did say how sloppy drunk they got when they eventually made it to Paris.
    Paw-Paw Victor was the kindest man I think I've ever met.
    He Was Truly A Man For All Seasons!

Edward Wilbanks
    My Uncle Ed wasn't there for D-Day, but served in the South Pacific and was a gunner on a Destroyer.
    His legs were scared in many places and the only thing he ever told me was that was where they got him at General Custer's Last Stand.
    He passed away in 1973 when I was 10, from a heart attack, and this was the 1st time that I saw my father cry.
    I was about 7 or 8 when I found out how he really got those scars.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-07-2019 at 03:48 PM.

2. Thanks WIS89, Cobradavid, Geoff H, 65 Cobra Dude thanked for this post