Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Throttle linkage completed

Post Thanks / Like

Throttle linkage completed

I continue to plug away on things. Yesterday, I was able to get the mechanical throttle linkage set up, amongst other things. This is one of Forte's kits. The pedestals are secured through the firewall to a reinforced piece of angle that is riveted to the frame.

I'm using the Russ Thompson throttle pedal.

I did have to clearance the top of the lever arm a bit to avoid any interference.

With it set up this way, the throttle pedal bottoms out against the stop at WOT at the carb. Please let me know if you see anything I need to reconsider. Thanks.

--Nathan
    Last edited by silver_pilate; 06-03-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks Great!
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Nathan! I've got the same setup. Very smooth!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a pic of the reinforcement you made behind the firewall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the pic of the reinforcement. It's basically a 12" + length of heavy aluminum angle. I used larger rivets to secure and it is very rigid:

To get the bolts mounted where I wanted them, I had to grind down the washers a bit:
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

Post Thanks / Like
    Nathan, Very nice setup. I haven't started a build yet, but am trying to absorb as many good ideas as I can save. Have a question, though. To set the angle of the slotted flat stock on the shaft, are there allen set screws to hold the position? A thought for the OCD among us would maybe to machine splines on the shaft and the flat stock so one could set the angle, slide the bar stock on, and then just lock it in place with the set screws. I know this is a bit excessive, but I see this as an excellent alternative to either an S pattern throttle cable or reversing the carb by 180 degrees... Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony, the arms are set up with an allen bolt at the bottom of the arm, and they are designed to clamp on the shaft. As it is, they are infinitely adjustable as to angle and then you tighten the bolt on the bottom to lock into place on the shaft. These can be set up to "push" or "pull" depending on the orientation of your throttle linkage on your carb. Lots of flexibility.

Also, the linkage can be adjusted up or down on the arms to change the ratio. For instance, on my setup, if I needed to decrease throttle responsiveness, I would lower the linkage on the arm by the carb. If I needed to increase responsiveness, I would lower the linkage on the arm by the throttle pedal.
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job. You’ll like that linkage. Nice and smooth compared to the cable.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_pilate View Post
    Here is the pic of the reinforcement. It's basically a 12" + length of heavy aluminum angle. I used larger rivets to secure and it is very rigid:

To get the bolts mounted where I wanted them, I had to grind down the washers a bit:

Thanks, looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Forte drills the arms to accept a roll pin. I enlarged it by 1/64" so the roll pin just slipped in. Then I drilled the pivot shaft so that the roll pin was a pressure fit. I used a C-clamp to press the pin into place, and left about 1/2" of the pin exposed so that if I ever need to get it out I can pull it with pliers.

John

IMG_2766 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_3593 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313