Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 4-Post Lift Recommendations

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like

4-Post Lift Recommendations

I know, my wife is the most amazing wife ever... because she just told me to buy a 4-post lift to make more room in the garage while I build my MkIV.

I have an oversized 2 car garage with 9'6" ceilings, but with the garage door open it's really 8'10". I was reading this article link for inspiration, but was curious if anyone has particular experience with these that can chyme in on the pros/cons of each, 110V vs 220V, the different brands, etc.

Thanks guys,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you feel you can stack cars in 8'10" ? Does not sound feasible at all.

I have a four post BendPak HD9 series. Great lift. Be aware you have to raise it a few inches to get it off the mechanical locks before you can lower it. Need to work that into your height calculation. Either 110v or 220v will work. The 110 will just raise it at half speed relative to the 220. It lowers without power assist so raising will be the only difference.

I have a 9' ceiling in my basement garage and have a 2 post in there specifically made for low ceilings and it sits about 2 inches from the ceiling. You could possibly stack 2 Cobras because they are super short but other than that no way two normal cars can stack in under 9'.

Are you planning to modify your ceiling?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

3. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am also about to purchase a 4-post lift. I just had a side mount garage door opener installed and raised the garage door up as high as I could to facilitate it going in. Costco has a good 4-post lift (Atlas Apex 8) for sale up here in Canada that I am going to go with as everything else available comes from down south and the shipping would cost almost as much as the lift. My ceiling is 9'4" and the measurements I did between my current 2015 Corvette and the future roadster I have about 15" to play with. minus the 4-5" lift rail and I have 10" of wiggle room. Depending on the depth of your garage and configuration you can gain extra clearance of the garage door when it is raised by backing the vehicle in that will be on top of the lift. As I haven't yet purchased I can't give specifics between lifts I do know that the one I am going to buy is 110 volt but needs a 30 amp breaker due to the draw of the electric motor when it starts. In my research this is the norm so you may need to change out a breaker and run a new wire to handle the amps alone. So if your concern with getting one that is 220 is that you would have to do electrical work you may need to plan on that either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a whole bunch of information on lifts, installations, etc. on The Garage Journal. https://www.garagejournal.com/. Worth checking out. Love my Bendpak 2-post. But I use it for building not storage.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

6. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Do you feel you can stack cars in 8'10" ? Does not sound feasible at all.

I have a four post BendPak HD9 series. Great lift. Be aware you have to raise it a few inches to get it off the mechanical locks before you can lower it. Need to work that into your height calculation. Either 110v or 220v will work. The 110 will just raise it at half speed relative to the 220. It lowers without power assist so raising will be the only difference.

I have a 9' ceiling in my basement garage and have a 2 post in there specifically made for low ceilings and it sits about 2 inches from the ceiling. You could possibly stack 2 Cobras because they are super short but other than that no way two normal cars can stack in under 9'.

Are you planning to modify your ceiling?
    Perfectly valid points. My current car is a VW golf R, which stands 56" tall, so reasonably short by most current car standards. Definitely not planning to put an SUV under there. Also mostly planning to use this during the build phase of things, without windshield and roll bars installed, giving me some extra room on top. When you got your BendPak HD9, did you really need a forklift during delivery or were you able to unload it into the garage without one?

Can anyone chyme in how tall the car is overall WITHOUT the roll bars and windshield installed?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Direct Lift Pro Park 8S, which looks to be similar (identical?) to some of the other lifts you're looking at. I love it so far. 110V works just fine, no reason to add a 220V outlet if you don't already have one handy. With the jack tray and optional hydraulic jack you can get the car off its wheels if needed. One of the main reasons I went with a 4 post vs. a 2 post was because I didn't know the thickness and condition of my garage concrete slab and didn't want to have two mounting pads for a 2 post lift saw-cut and re-poured. The 4-post will sit on garage floor without needing to be bolted down.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

9. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made this move about a year and a half ago and have loved it. I bought the inexpensive Atlas lift and it works perfectly. My ceiling is 10 feet high and I park an Audi S5 under my Cobra, with plenty of room to spare. I did change my garage door to a side mount motor and had the rails extended to the ceiling - about $1700 to make that change including installation. I can lift the Cobra all the way up to it's highest setting. The company I bought the lift from works with another installation company. They charged $500 to deliver and install the lift - worth every penny.

-Greg

IMG_0289.jpgIMG_0286.jpg
    Last edited by AtlantaCobra; 06-04-2019 at 09:23 AM.

11. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsw81 View Post
    Perfectly valid points. My current car is a VW golf R, which stands 56" tall, so reasonably short by most current car standards. Definitely not planning to put an SUV under there. Also mostly planning to use this during the build phase of things, without windshield and roll bars installed, giving me some extra room on top. When you got your BendPak HD9, did you really need a forklift during delivery or were you able to unload it into the garage without one?

Can anyone chyme in how tall the car is overall WITHOUT the roll bars and windshield installed?
    I have the larger of the HD9 that I can park my 4 door F150 under. The package was over 20' long and I think around 2300 pounds. The options I had were to get it off the truck myself or pick it up at the shipping depot. (I self installed so it was my responsibility to unload). I opted to pick it up at the shipping depot. Took those guys two fork lifts and quite a bit of time to maneuver it onto my trailer. It was honestly quite a cluster f##K! I have no idea how I would have got it off the truck in my driveway so glad I picked it up at the depot. I ended up just backing the trailer into my garage and then used my engine hoist to pick the pieces up one by one and unload the trailer. The ramps are long and 500+ pounds each so you need a good plan to maneuver the pieces around.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

13. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaCobra View Post
    They charged $500 to deliver and install the lift - worth every penny.

-Greg
    I agree! If paying for delivery and installation is an option, it's easily the best money you'll spend. I have no idea how I would have unloaded the thing myself. I think I paid $600 to have it delivered and installed.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

15. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made this move about a year and a half ago and have loved it. I bought the inexpensive Atlas lift and it works perfectly. My ceiling is 10 feet high and I park an Audi S5 under my Cobra, with plenty of room to spare. I did change my garage door to a side mount motor and had the rails extended to the ceiling - about $1700 to make that change including installation. I can lift the Cobra all the way up to it's highest setting. The company I bought the lift from works with another installation company. They charged $500 to deliver and install the lift - worth every penny.

-Greg

IMG_0289.jpgIMG_0286.jpg
    One downside is that the ramps that come with the lifts(the actual ramps to drive you up onto the lift) weigh about 50 lbs each. Very cumbersome. I bought the lightweight race ramps and it was worth the money. I actually have an extra set I'd make you a deal on if interested.

-Greg

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    One downside is that the ramps that come with the lifts(the actual ramps to drive you up onto the lift) weigh about 50 lbs each. Very cumbersome. I bought the lightweight race ramps and it was worth the money. I actually have an extra set I'd make you a deal on if interested.

-Greg
    I'll let you know Greg, however which lift do these ramps go to?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll let you know Greg, however which lift do these ramps go to?
    I believe they will fit any of the four post lifts. I think it's a 3.5 or 4 inch rise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote here for the Bendpak HD-9. I've had mine for going on six years and have become to depend on it for storage and work. With even a basic "jack bridge" - just a beam that can slide from front to rear between the runways of the lift - you can jack up a car and put it on stands, allowing for wheel-off service work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had two four-post BendPak lifts and after more than 10-years of daily use have had zero problems. If you get one with the caster kit and have a level driveway you can push it outside and use it. I used to pressure wash the road salt off my truck outside the shop. I've used the lifts as a work bench, welding positioner, hoist, and storage. I've used mine to work under my cars, trucks, small tractors, ATVs, and my F550 sits on it in the shop every night.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I sell Challenger lifts (and Hunter) so I’m a little biased...(bendpak, rotary, and even auto lift are suitable for home use) but I do it mainly commercially so I see the quality of stuff under heavy use. You can go there —-> http://www.challengerlifts.com/car-l...-garage-lifts/ and if you click on the box there is a calculator to figure garage height required. There are also specs there too. Most manufactures have specs on their websites. Scott is right about the 110/220v, it’s just a rise time benefit. Most people at home don’t mind 2 minutes to the top as opposed to 60 seconds. Also keep in mind that if your garage is finished and you need a few more inches for the posts you can cut squares out and have the post go up thru the ceiling a little, as long as your not messing with the rafters. I’ve helped a couple of friends do that in the past. They all have mechanical safety locks so you don’t have to worry about hydraulics leaking and something slowly coming down like a leaky floor jack. Also don’t forget you have to keep your wheels on your car unless you get rolling jacks options. Actually pretty easy to self install. Hammer drill, floor jack, furnature/car dolly, level, big a$$ pry bar and a couple pieces of pipe for using as rolling devices. If you can build a car you can install a rack. Just my 2¢

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

22. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Backyard Buddy 7000lb lift. Incredibly stable and will tolerate the garage floor drainage slope without needing to be bolted down. Expensive but IMO worth every cent.

https://steelvalleylifts.com/product...rd-buddy-lift/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    I sell Challenger lifts (and Hunter) so I’m a little biased...(bendpak, rotary, and even auto lift are suitable for home use) but I do it mainly commercially so I see the quality of stuff under heavy use. You can go there —-> http://www.challengerlifts.com/car-l...-garage-lifts/ and if you click on the box there is a calculator to figure garage height required. There are also specs there too. Most manufactures have specs on their websites. Scott is right about the 110/220v, it’s just a rise time benefit. Most people at home don’t mind 2 minutes to the top as opposed to 60 seconds. Also keep in mind that if your garage is finished and you need a few more inches for the posts you can cut squares out and have the post go up thru the ceiling a little, as long as your not messing with the rafters. I’ve helped a couple of friends do that in the past. They all have mechanical safety locks so you don’t have to worry about hydraulics leaking and something slowly coming down like a leaky floor jack. Also don’t forget you have to keep your wheels on your car unless you get rolling jacks options. Actually pretty easy to self install. Hammer drill, floor jack, furnature/car dolly, level, big a$$ pry bar and a couple pieces of pipe for using as rolling devices. If you can build a car you can install a rack. Just my 2¢

Kurt
    As someone who has never owned a lift, but planning on getting one soon, what should I look for in terms of quality and options for a at home hobbyist?
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like

-Greg

IMG_0289.jpgIMG_0286.jpg
    Good to know. My Golf R is only about 2" taller than your S5. How much room is "plenty of room to spare"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know. My Golf R is only about 2" taller than your S5. How much room is "plenty of room to spare"?
    I still have a good 12 inches from the top of my Audi to the bottom of the lift. And the slight "duck" to get into your daily driver becomes very natural after one or two cranium smacks on the lift

27. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    As someone who has never owned a lift, but planning on getting one soon, what should I look for in terms of quality and options for a at home hobbyist?
    Ask the supplier (when you determine what lift you will purchase) what floor/cement thickness is required. Read that 6" thick is required, but that was only one manufacturer.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Concrete floor thickness is only a concern for 2 post lifts that need to be bolted to the floor. 4 post lifts don't need to be bolted down (at least not any of them that I've seen).

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Bendpak HD7W. 10’ ceiling. Raised the garage door to ceiling, high lift, side mount direct drive operator. I had the lift delivered to installer who came and installed it. Roll bar is 2” from ceiling. Wife parks her car under it. 110 volt. Fast enough for me. C73E79CC-0A8C-4717-982F-B3856E297192.jpg
    FFR 7644 MK IV. Coyote 5.0, Boss 302 Intake, Tremec TKO600, 8.8 rear 3 link, 3:73, Koni's, Wilwood brakes, 17" Halibrands, Nitto NT555's, SS side-pipes. Velocity Red Mica, Dark Silver stripes. Painted striped dash. Heated Leather seats. Heat, defrosters, wipers. Hidden bluetooth stereo.
    A dream come true.

31. Likes Drezx6r liked this post
    Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Race Ratz View Post
    I have the Bendpak HD7W. 10’ ceiling. Raised the garage door to ceiling, high lift, side mount direct drive operator. I had the lift delivered to installer who came and installed it. Roll bar is 2” from ceiling. Wife parks her car under it. 110 volt. Fast enough for me. C73E79CC-0A8C-4717-982F-B3856E297192.jpg
    Who did you buy the lift from and who did your install? How much did they charge you? I'm just west of Boston, so we may be similar enough to compare rates.

My only hesitation with BendPak is the nee for air compressor or the accessory air tank to unlock the lift when lowering it. They also seem to be a bit more expensive than the others mentioned here. Is there a reason for this? Better quality?

Two of the models mentioned (Revolution RFP8 & Direct Lift Pro Park 8S) seem to be have identical specs. Do we think these are actually the same with different stickers on them?
    http://www.revolutionlift.com/RFP8-8...px#MoreDetails
    http://www.directlift.com/Four-Post-...px#MoreDetails

Atlanta cobra: Is this the model Atlas you went with?
    https://www.atlasautoequipment.com/p...arage-pro-8000

Post Thanks / Like
    Atlanta cobra: Is this the model Atlas you went with?
    https://www.atlasautoequipment.com/p...arage-pro-8000[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is the one I went with. Been very pleased with it and it's very solid and quiet. Comes with four casters so you can move it around if you need to.

34. Thanks rsw81 thanked for this post