FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Tickets in your Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Tickets in your Hot Rod

Just curious if anyone has gotten a ticket in their Hot Rod? In this area I have been in my 76 Stingray and even if I was speeding it seemed that the cops would never pull me over. They might hit their lights to tell me to slow down but never actually get behind me. Had one cop follow me to the light just to pull up next to me and tell me that I had a nice car but to slow it down a bit.

Does it seem to be that way with the Hot Rods as well?

Tim
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

2. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tim,

I was stopped one time the fall of #007's first year, 2009.
    It was near dusk as I had my headlights on.

"Honestly, Officer, I've not yet calibrated my speedometer......"

The next day I did go find a measured mile and calibrate it.
    It was a relatively expensive calibration!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I stay out of residential areas for spirited driving. I have had a few tail me on occasion and I make sure they enjoy looking at the car. I engage the officers whenever I can, invite them to sit in the car and even try it out if they want too. Generally I will get a wave at lights and intersections. A couple of industrious officers have made quite an impressive production number by trailing me as lots of young people like to pass me, some coming foolishly close to causing wrecks and others wildly breaking the speed limit to get in front of me. I always wave as they are digging out their credentials, the officers usually wave back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had 2 VA State Troopers check my roadster out at a gas station. The male officer was interested in the build and engine while the female officer was asking about gauges and displays in the car. She asked specifically about the digital AFR display and even my garage door opener; both of which were visible under the dash. While he was truly interested in the car, turns out she was looking for a radar detector which is illegal in VA. Like others, I get waves from most LEO when on the road but have never been pulled over even though I do not have the front tag on the car.
    Last edited by ej95Cobra; 06-13-2019 at 06:36 AM.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veale View Post
    Hi Tim,

I was stopped one time the fall of #007's first year, 2009.
    It was near dusk as I had my headlights on.

"Honestly, Officer, I've not yet calibrated my speedometer......"

The next day I did go find a measured mile and calibrate it.
    It was a relatively expensive calibration!

Tom
    So he did give you a ticket then? How much over did he get you for?

Quote Originally Posted by ej95Cobra View Post
    I had 2 VA State Troopers check my roadster out at a gas station. The male officer was interested in the build and engine while the female officer was asking about gauges and displays in the car. She asked specifically about the digital AFR display and even my garage door opener; both of which were visible under the dash. While he was truly interested in the car, turns out she was looking for a radar detector which is illegal in VA. Like others, I get waves from most LEO when on the road but have never been pulled over even though I do not have the front tag on the car.
    Yeah I have driven in VA and removed the Radar Detector from the windshield. I heard they even have detectors that can tell when you are running one. I have yet to get my Hot Rod on the street but I hope it will be soon. The only thing left to buy right now is the drive shaft.

Tim
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    So he did give you a ticket then? How much over did he get you for?
    Tim
    Hi Tim,
    Yep, but he was relatively kind. He had me on his radar at 85 MPH in a 55 zone. Wrote the ticket for 69 MPH which saved me "points" and Dollars.
    No tickets since. On average, a lap of Road America at under 3 Min/lap puts my car at 80+MPH. Top speed buries the Speedo, however, so I don't have a number for that.
    4 Miles, 14 Turns, No Oncoming Traffic and no Police! Thank you Northwoods Shelby Club! ( http://www.nwshelbyclub.com/ )
    I think my membership has been less expensive over the years than the tickets I would have received!
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veale View Post
    Hi Tim,
    Yep, but he was relatively kind. He had me on his radar at 85 MPH in a 55 zone. Wrote the ticket for 69 MPH which saved me "points" and Dollars.
    No tickets since. On average, a lap of Road America at under 3 Min/lap puts my car at 80+MPH. Top speed buries the Speedo, however, so I don't have a number for that.
    4 Miles, 14 Turns, No Oncoming Traffic and no Police! Thank you Northwoods Shelby Club! ( http://www.nwshelbyclub.com/ )
    I think my membership has been less expensive over the years than the tickets I would have received!
    Tom
    That was good... Around here most of the highways and toll ways are posted at 70MPH. Have heard from at least one cop who said that when he is watching the tollways he sets his radar gun to alert at 90 MPH and nothing lower. Said that he is giving tickets all day long and only tickets if 90 or higher. So you would have been good here at 85.

There was one cop that used to be in the area that did not care how fast you were going as long as your exhaust was not loud. But he would give tickets left and right if you were too loud. Even had his personally owned DB meter he would measure the sound with. Judges were throwing his tickets out left and right, and even had his boss tell him to knock it off. He kept doing it and eventually got drummed out of the force. He then sued them for stopping him from writing the tickets. Said it was against the law and he had every right to write the tickets.

He went a little to far with a judge though when he started writing tickets to motor cycles for being to loud. Turns out the judge was a Harley rider and understood that "loud pipes save lives." I think he got a contempt charge when he mouthed off to the judge.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017