Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Line experience - Coyote Requirements / Single Line??? / Flexible vs Hard lines

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Line experience - Coyote Requirements / Single Line??? / Flexible vs Hard lines

Hi everyone, I was one of the builders who installed the Coyote in my MKIV. At that time I used the fuel lines supplied by Factory Five as part of the Complete kit. I've had very few, if any issues, but once in a while if I'm running hard (Drag race style) it does feel like I may be starving the Coyote of fuel. Again, only something that has happened a couple of times.

I've now started by build of a Coupe, and will be installing either a Gen 2 or Gen 3 Coyote. I think I've seen that most guys are now using larger supply lines then come with the complete kits. Is that a correct assumption? Could I get some feedback on what sizes are working best?

I've also seen some articles regarding a single line that somehow handles the return line requirements as well. I haven't dug into that so don't really understand how that would work, or if that is acceptable. I'll do some more search but wondering what this group has learned through experience.

Finally, I've no issue with bending lines, and see little downside to the hard lines, but I'm starting to see that more guys are using the flexible fuel lines. I'd be curious as to the experience and benefit of these as well.

Thank you in advance for the input.
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    You can probably get away with less, but for the Gen 2 and now especially the Gen 3 Coyote, 3/8-inch supply and return is the way to go IMO. That's what I have in my Gen 2 Roadster, and now in the Gen 3 Coupe under construction with the Gen 3 Coyote. Hard lines should last the life of the car. Some of the higher end flex lines, like Teflon lined, maybe will too. But the older type lines didn't and was common for breakdown, gas smell, etc. With the ethanol fuels now commonplace, just not worth it IMO. If you're comfortable bending lines, do it. Cheaper too. The Coyote requires a return line in all cases with the Ford Performance return style setup. What you're probably seeing is where guys are putting the fuel regulator in the back by the tank. So the return line is short, and only a single line has to go all the way up to the engine. Typically that's using the GM fixed regulator/filter. Jury is still out on that with the Gen 3 Coyote where Ford Performance says it needs 65 PSI. The GM regulator is fixed at 58 PSI.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward, Thank you for the detailed response and great advice. I've enjoyed viewing your posts on your builds and truly, you are a master. I hope we have the chance to meet someday in person. (I took the MKIV to the Ohio show 2-3 years ago and met many of the people I'd chatted with online while building it. So great to be able to offer my appreciation in person). I'll likely be out in Michigan later this summer as I'm visiting some colleges with my son though if my geography serves me correct, it sounds like you are north of Detroit around the Flint area. Is that correct? That's a couple of hours from where I'm likely to be. Who knows... maybe we get the chance
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Edward, Thank you for the detailed response and great advice. I've enjoyed viewing your posts on your builds and truly, you are a master. I hope we have the chance to meet someday in person. (I took the MKIV to the Ohio show 2-3 years ago and met many of the people I'd chatted with online while building it. So great to be able to offer my appreciation in person). I'll likely be out in Michigan later this summer as I'm visiting some colleges with my son though if my geography serves me correct, it sounds like you are north of Detroit around the Flint area. Is that correct? That's a couple of hours from where I'm likely to be. Who knows... maybe we get the chance
    You're welcome. Happy to share what I've learned and experienced. I've been at London for the past number of years, including it sounds like when you attended. Will be there again this year. We're north of Detroit, about an hour from downtown, the airport, etc. If you're going to the big schools in this area, Ann Arbor (Michigan) is about an hour away. Lansing (Michigan State) about two hours. Lots more around of course. You're welcome to drop by any time if it works out.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Slider - I'll add my opinion, for what it's worth... I started out using the hard lines supplied with the kit: 5/16 feed and 1/4 return. My issue was locating adapters that would mate everything together. 3/8 seems to be much more popular. I also had issues with leaks. I pulled everything out and ran a single 3/8 flexible line from the fuel filter to the pressure regulator on the feed size and a 3/8 flexible line from the regulator to the tank on the way back. It was way easier and there have been no problems whatsoever. If I were to do this again, I'd go 3/8 flexible line on both sides from the outset.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been looking into this recently too and think I am going to go with 3/8" supply and return lines. I guess I wasted a bit of money ordering the FI parts from FFR with my kit as it looks like I may end up not using much of it. Been reading EdwardB's build and I think I may just go with the same parts he is using which means a new lines, hanger, regulator, filter, and pump I think. I would rather get this right to begin with then need to run new lines after everything else is in the car and in the way. Not sure I am going to follow his exactly. I am thinking of getting a fixed pressure regulator and leaving it in the back. I was thinking of going with a Gen 3 Coyote so I will need to find one at 65psi as it sounds like that is pretty important for the Gen III.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    You're welcome. Happy to share what I've learned and experienced. I've been at London for the past number of years, including it sounds like when you attended. Will be there again this year. We're north of Detroit, about an hour from downtown, the airport, etc. If you're going to the big schools in this area, Ann Arbor (Michigan) is about an hour away. Lansing (Michigan State) about two hours. Lots more around of course. You're welcome to drop by any time if it works out.
    Thanks Edward. If I get to the area I'll hopefully try and look you up. Not going to London this year... but hopefully again soon