FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Heater/AC question

Post Thanks / Like

Heater/AC question

I used the FF supplied heater for my MKIV, but obviously want the AC for the coupe. At $1550 I decided I'd look at other options before making the order and I ran across this company https://www.restomodair.com/

Very impressive looking product, though i have no issues with the way the heater in the MKIV works. Just wondering if anyone has experience with Restomod Air.
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no experience with that company, so can't offer any comments there. I too was a little concerned about the cost of the heat/AC kit for the Coupe, so shopped around and looked at as many options as I could find. Including offerings from that company, Vintage Air, etc. The bottom line is that nothing I could find came close to fitting into the Gen 3 Coupe. The design of the chassis, the available space, all make options very limited. Specifically for the evaporator unit. Unless you were to get creative and mount it somewhere else beside under the dash. Which I've seen others do. But the disadvantages outweighed the advantages IMO so bit the bullet and bought the FFR kit. They supply a very compact evaporator from a French company Siroco. It just fits if you mount it exactly like they show in the instructions. I haven't taken the time to add up the cost, but the Coyote kit has a bunch of parts, most of which are high end and very good quality. Including a Mustang compressor (not cheap), an electronic heater control valve, a bunch of Vintage air fittings, hoses, evaporator, condenser, controls, receiver/dryer, trinary switch, etc. My guess is you might be able to save a little, but not much. It's very complete. And for me who hasn't done anything like that before, the very detailed instructions were a plus.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks Slider thanked for this post
    Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I have no experience with that company, so can't offer any comments there. I too was a little concerned about the cost of the heat/AC kit for the Coupe, so shopped around and looked at as many options as I could find. Including offerings from that company, Vintage Air, etc. The bottom line is that nothing I could find came close to fitting into the Gen 3 Coupe. The design of the chassis, the available space, all make options very limited. Specifically for the evaporator unit. Unless you were to get creative and mount it somewhere else beside under the dash. Which I've seen others do. But the disadvantages outweighed the advantages IMO so bit the bullet and bought the FFR kit. They supply a very compact evaporator from a French company Siroco. It just fits if you mount it exactly like they show in the instructions. I haven't taken the time to add up the cost, but the Coyote kit has a bunch of parts, most of which are high end and very good quality. Including a Mustang compressor (not cheap), an electronic heater control valve, a bunch of Vintage air fittings, hoses, evaporator, condenser, controls, receiver/dryer, trinary switch, etc. My guess is you might be able to save a little, but not much. It's very complete. And for me who hasn't done anything like that before, the very detailed instructions were a plus.
    Darn... I was actually excited about some of the attributes of the Restomod product... but maybe the dose of reality is good. One of the best parts about Factory Five (there are many) are that they've tried to ensure that the parts they sell will work for the application. This would seem to be one of those situations. Thanks again Ed.
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Darn... I was actually excited about some of the attributes of the Restomod product... but maybe the dose of reality is good. One of the best parts about Factory Five (there are many) are that they've tried to ensure that the parts they sell will work for the application. This would seem to be one of those situations. Thanks again Ed.
    By all means do your own due diligence. Specifically check the dimensions of the evaporator for whatever system you're looking at, and then measure the available space in the Coupe to see where it might fit. Will be interested to see if you come up with something other than the standard FF offering. Again, short of mounting the evaporator elsewhere. I haven't seen pictures. But have heard of mounting it in the hatch area and in at least one case in one of the rear wheel wells.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    you could install the heater core/fan unit on the passenger side over the foot box like FFR roadster design but in the Coupe with the clam shell hood everthing is much more visible and the hood is lower. The FFR design with the heater core/fan unit hidden in the passenger foot box is a good design. There is no room between the firewall and dash, totally packed already with wires and ducts. As Paul noted it is a tight fit but it does work. I have not charged up the AC yet but the heater works well.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

7. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One cool thing I noticed with that Restomod company is that they offer a blank mockup box for fitting: https://www.restomodair.com/product-...y/mock-up-box/ Although it will still set you back $125! But it is a cool idea if you want to dip your feet before you commit on it.