BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Roadside Breakdowns

Post Thanks / Like

Roadside Breakdowns

Yet another newbie question for the group. As I’ve been reading the forum postings I’ve seen some references to tool kits that folks keep in the trunk. Hoping that I can pick your brains on what you have in your kits I can borrow proudly in putting mine together.

Thinking some basic tools - sockets adjustable wrench screw drivers pliers and a hammer - some common diameter sections of hoses and clamps, and I’m not sure what else. Frankly these cars are so low to the ground I’m not sure how much you can do without ramps or a lift. Don’t like this approach but is a cell phone and AAA membership the best approach? Hoping that preventative maintence avoids a lot of these situations but $&*# does happen...

Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I may jinx myself, but I have 21,000 miles, it’s only left me once when the ECU in the fuel injection died. That said, I carry a tool roll with a selection of hand tools, a small socket set, multi meter, some wire and connectors, repair tape, couple of clamps, a plug kit and 12v inflator. Also car specific tools, like the tiny hex key for the wind wings. Gloves and a roll of paper towels and rags are back there as well. I also have a spare belt, clutch cable and coil. Anything worse, I have AAA. Sounds like a lot, but it’s really not. Ohh, a copy of my wiring diagram as well.

If you search the forum, here and the other, there’s a few threads about this. I’m sure others will chime in.

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    All my off-road vehicles are well equipped with tools including recovery equipment, spare parts, and survival gear as in the back country there is seldom a cell signal and help is far from where you breakdown or get stuck.

For my street cars I carry a cell phone, credit card, and AAA membership card. For my hot rod I also carry some special recovery straps the tow driver can use to connect his winch cable to that won't damage the paint on my chassis.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

4. Likes Mark Eaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same as NAZ. 4X4 pickup & 4X4 SUV has self recovery stuff. Rest have jumpers, tire inflater kit or run flats & AAA. Have used it twice. Once dead fuel pump their fault, once lose starter bolt my fault.

SHAME - SHAME before GOT

Be sure to tell AAA you have a very low car. Guy will have boards to ease the transition to the truck bed.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-09-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone who has responded. Interested to hear how the run flat tires work. Thinking it would save the rim but will the side pipe survive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Like most everyone else I keep a pretty specific tool roll with basic tool. Good chance that most break downs will require a flatbed trip home. As far as spare parts go - just fuses for me. Pretty good chance if you have a trunk full of spare parts you will need the one that you forgot to include.

Upgraded AAA and a Cell Phone are my best tools for the job

I do not believe you can find tires for our roadsters with run flat options. Perhaps for the 18" wheels but pretty sure the selection would be slim.

This was my experience with a non repairable break down. Tire shop installed faulty valve stems. Mine sheared in two. Tires had less than 1000 miles on them.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 06-08-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Duct tape, long zip ties and a tool roll.
    Factory Five Racing Roadster MKIV -- #9196 -- 347ci, 475 HP, 5 Speed, Plymouth Prowler Orange Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a generic cheap clam shell tool box I got at Sears many years ago. It has both metric and fractional sizes. I have another small box w/ some FFR specific tools. I also have AAA w/ a 200 mile plan.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reason I asked about the run flats is that I’d seen some options in the Michelin Pilot line up that looked kind of interesting. Look to be nice, but pricey. Still if they save a rim I’m thinking they might be worth it. Also very happy to see that no side pipes were harmed in the making of those flat tire photos!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Cobra View Post
    Reason I asked about the run flats is that I’d seen some options in the Michelin Pilot line up that looked kind of interesting. Look to be nice, but pricey. Still if they save a rim I’m thinking they might be worth it. Also very happy to see that no side pipes were harmed in the making of those flat tire photos!
    One thing regarding the run flat tires. I have them on my '16 BMW X1, and they are noisy. Maybe not a problem against the exhaust noise in a roadster, but still something to take into consideration....

Post Thanks / Like
    Had run flat tires on BMW's hate them. The ride is harsh, if you get a flat the and drive any distance the tire has to be replaced. I have 4 cars with no spares, keep a 12V compressor and tire plug kit in the trunk.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019