FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Should I be worried (A-Arm Weld)?

Post Thanks / Like

Should I be worried (A-Arm Weld)?

Just noticed this strange speckled and fanned out pattern in a weld on my front lower a-arm and thought it looked strange enough to ask if it's something I should be worried about. I'm not a welding expert, but it doesn't look like slag to me— almost looks like maybe the metal got too hot? Maybe some rust?

IMG-1411.JPG

Should I be concerned?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're in luck, I am a welding SME. If you're referring to that oval shaped indication on the round tubing that appears to be a defect in the paint or powder coating not a weld defect. I would guess the tubing wasn't cleaned enough before applying the coating.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree.
    There's some welding spatter that they didn't clean up before powder coat but that's not going hurt anything.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    To me it almost looks like it was welded after it was painted. Maybe removed the paint from the area to be welded but the area next to it still had paint or powder coat on it and then was repainted after welding. I have made this same look in the past when not removing paint from a large enough area to stop the ugliness.
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum