FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Remote reservoir location

Post Thanks / Like

Remote reservoir location

Hey everybody, I'm working on mocking up my front end and I'm trying to figure out the best place to put my Tilton 3-chamber remote reservoir. I'm open to any suggestions. Here's some pics of my front end.

IMG_20190530_190227.jpg IMG_20190530_195805.jpg IMG_20190530_195819.jpg

I'd like to mount it in it's current location. My question is - does anybody have the hood clearance at that bar? It looks like my reservoir will stick up ~3 1/2" at that location. If I have to build a drop-down bracket to make it fit, I will, I just need to know. I also can't drop it down too much or the reservoir will be too low compared to the MC.

Thanks for any/all input!
    818C chassis #546. Ordered 8/14/18, picked up 10/6/18. First start 01/16/2021!
    Donor: 2006 WRX wagon, 108k miles.
    Options: Chassis powder coat, CF street splitter, rockers, diffuser, and spoiler, polished shift knob, adjustable rear lower lateral control arms, vinyl padded dash/door, complete carpet set, battery cut-off switch, wiper kit, aluminum shifter assembly, complete CV axles, harness bar mount, matte gunmetal wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    My hood, and everything else about my 818R's body, is heavily modified. I significantly enlarged the hood vents. The non-red fiberglass in the picture is what I added to the hood. The tape measure is resting on top of the square bar you are mounting your remote reservoirs to. Just from eye-balling your pictures, it will be close.

20190609_235850.jpg
    Last edited by Zach34; 06-10-2019 at 02:04 AM.

3. Thanks octobersknight thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted mine there and I don't think there's any contact with the hood.
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

5. Thanks octobersknight thanked for this post

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine's the newer style (summer 2016 delivery), From the front top edge of that bar I just measured 4" to the bottom of the f-glass, from the top-back of that bar it is already about 4-1/8" up, getting higher as you go of course..
    Last edited by aquillen; 06-10-2019 at 11:17 AM.

7. Thanks octobersknight thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    About 5 1/2 inches
    This photo shows 5.5" from the top of the frame bar to the inside of my closed hood. This was easy because the flat steel brace, with a rubber top, that is beside the tape measure is the hood support I made that keeps the hood from fluttering at speed and gives room for the windshield wiper. Without this type of hood brace your hood may be slightly lower, but certainly no less than 5 inches. Mine is an early version (#25) with the new front, but I believe the hood is the same as the new kits.

Previously you asked me about the remote reservoir connections to the master cylinders, since Mike Everson is no longer supplying the remote reservoir kit. I was unable to give you details, so once you figure it out I hope you'll post the solution for other builders. Hopefully this photo helps a little.
    Last edited by AZPete; 06-10-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

9. Thanks octobersknight thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everybody for the feedback. I think I'm fine to stick it where I want and will let you know how it goes. I'll try to push the rivnuts as low as they can be and still clear the interior bottom of the bar.

AZPete - I'll let you know how it goes. I've drawn up some adapters that I hope will work, but I'm waiting on them to be made. I'm thinking of having a few 3D-printed just so I can check the fit via mockup. Once I have all the stuff right, I'll post it in my build thread. Currently the plan is just a stepped Al nipple with female threads for a 90-degree barb elbow into 5/16" brake fluid tubing from Tilton. I'll just make a clamp following your design with bent steel U and a bolt.

Side note - anybody know where to get those spring pins that hold on the OEM brake and clutch reservoirs? I bent/crimped mine while removing them and can't seem to find an independent part #.
    Last edited by octobersknight; 06-10-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    Options: Chassis powder coat, CF street splitter, rockers, diffuser, and spoiler, polished shift knob, adjustable rear lower lateral control arms, vinyl padded dash/door, complete carpet set, battery cut-off switch, wiper kit, aluminum shifter assembly, complete CV axles, harness bar mount, matte gunmetal wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    For hose attachments to the Tilton resv. I drilled the bottom of the reservoir and used o-rings and banjo bolts/fittings to get as tight as possible. I also took time to neatly X-Acto scrape off the "FOR RACING USE ONLY" in case I got a buster at the BAR test station (I didn't)...
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Used Mitches location.
    IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2328.jpg
    IMG_2330.jpg

13. Thanks octobersknight thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brd.Prey - LOVE that yellow powdercoat! I unfortunately can't put my reservoir there due to the OEM MC and FL brake hard line from the proportioning valve crowding that area. If I do find interference with the hood, then I'll find a way to make that second location that you show work somehow.

Glad to see others are using the same reservoir. Any issues/concerns with it? Did you go with the push-on hose (I did), or with the -4AN fittings?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought -4AN nipple fittings. I don't think I will have any issues, it is above the MC and hoses run straight down. Reservoir is only subject to atmospheric pressure unless bleeding -4 AN should be fine.
    Last edited by Brd.Prey; 06-12-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i'm def interested in how you guys are coming off the stock MC and what not, it seems to be the lynchpin in the relocation. i'm surprised no one (company) has taken this on and offered full kits since Mike stopped selling them. Seems with the correct marketing it really could have sold well.

Post Thanks / Like
    right side head light.JPGTilton.JPG Where mine is mounted (similar location) had 1.2-2" of room to spare.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 06-19-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes things just work out, schedule-wise. I received an email about the 818 wiper kit vendor being switched to a single center wiper (the FormaCars kit), which will look awesome and means I don't have to cut the hood (yay!). However, the location of the mounting plate is right where I just mounted my brake reservoir!

IMG_20190709_164543.jpg IMG_20190709_200706.jpg

Good thing this arrived when it did, because I was ready to cut my feed lines to length and bleed the brakes. I was able to move my reservoir to the passenger side (see second pic above) and then routed the feed lines and did the brake/clutch bleed. Just as an FYI to anyone getting the FormaCars center wiper kit, don't mount a remote brake/clutch reservoir where I initially showed - there won't be room under the wiper mount plate. Put it on the passenger side instead.
    Last edited by octobersknight; 09-12-2019 at 06:28 AM.