Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FLFrank's '35 Hot Rod Truck Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good

2. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile I think it's finished

IMG_5759.jpg IMG_5762.jpg IMG_5763.jpg IMG_5764.jpg IMG_5766.jpg IMG_5767.jpg IMG_5769.jpg IMG_5693.jpg IMG_5771.jpg

The doors still droop a little and the bottom rear corners aren't flush. A little water got in when I gave it it's first bath. I guess I'll have to upgrade the door seals.
    Otherwise, I think it's ready for the road...just waiting for my title/tags.

Thanks to everyone who provided input and answers!! I really appreciate it

4. Likes Chopper, RuffShod, FF33rod, Salty Chief 35 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin' good! I really like your quilted trans cover/headliner.
    And it's done, but you'd be bored if there wasn't something to work on!
    FFR MKIV 8309, FMS 306 Crate w/Edelbrock EFI, T5, 3.55 Three Link, Wilwood Brakes

6. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks excellent. I really like the interior. Should be winning best in local shows before summers end!

8. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your build. It looks great. Thanks for the pics you gave me some ideas on how to upgrade my interior this winter. Rob.
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

10. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well done!!!

Excellent craftsmanship!!!

12. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic, those doors are tough....
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

14. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Outstanding!
    Jeremie

16. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it a lot. Looking forward to mine getting that far along. I like your interior roof treatment. I may copy something like that for mine.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

18. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I like it a lot. Looking forward to mine getting that far along. I like your interior roof treatment. I may copy something like that for mine.
    Interior looks allsome!!! I'd like to see a video or detailed explanation of what you used to do it, how it was attached, etc. I've never been exposed to that type of craftsmanship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffShod View Post
    Interior looks allsome!!! I'd like to see a video or detailed explanation of what you used to do it, how it was attached, etc. I've never been exposed to that type of craftsmanship.
    LOL..."craftsmanship" . I'm probably more of a hack, but thanks for the comment. I've only done a sailboat headliner prior to this and this was different...there were channels on the ceiling of the boat to tuck the headliner into and no rollbar. With the truck, I kind of improvised. I am not a carpet/headliner installer and I am not good with cutting material around curves/corners. I had to figure it out as I went along.

To start off, my body guy noticed that the roof was sagging (I didn't see it) so he added some wood bracing.
    I think he epoxied it or used resin. That gave me something to screw into, which worked out well because I had planned to add some fir strips anyway.

Next, I put some Dynaliner on the ceiling and sidewalls.
    I cut out around the wood strips. Ideally, I think you'd want the wood fir strips and the insulation the same thickness so it's relatively level. My wood strips are about 1/2" thick and the Dynaliner I used is 1/2" thick.

Then, I took some measurements, cut the cardboard and screwed it to the wood strips.
    I cut 2 pieces so it would be easier to slide into place above the rollbar. Had to go in and out several times to cut it just right. I used a sharp utility knife and #8-9/16" truss screws to screw into the wood. Very important...do not screw through the roof...obviously. Note: You have to leave a small gap at the edges/corners so you can tuck the material into it to hide the edges...in other words, cut the cardboard smaller than the surface area of the ceiling, don't go all the way to the sides/corners with the cardboard. Ideally you should have a gap (1/4" - 1/2") between the cardboard and the ceiling and enough room so you can tuck the material around the edges.

Next, I applied some heavy-duty Velcro about every few inches and here is where I erred...
    The adhesive-side of the Velcro sticks fine to the Dynaliner, fiberglass, and cardboard, but it does not adhere the the vinyl headliner foam-backing. I removed the Velcro from the ceiling and used Shurtape double-sided carpet tape. That also sticks very well to everything but, like the Velcro, doesn't adhere to the vinyl headliner foam-backing. My goal here was to make it removable (in case I wanted to add/change something later) but the next attempt will be to use 3M spray adhesive which will make it pretty permanent.
    I cut the material larger than needed then trimmed it once it was in place with a good pair of scissors. You'll want 1 to 2" (or as needed) extra headliner material around the edges of the cardboard. I used a putty knife to tuck the excess material up above the cardboard into the gap. If it has trouble staying in place, use some of the double-side carpet tape.

For the sidewalls I used trunk liner material (carpet would probably work just as well). It was inexpensive and easy to work with. I sticks well to the hook-side of the Velcro. Disclaimer: I have several pieces around my corners and around the doors because I haven't learned to cut material around curves. A lot of trial/error, but the edges of the material blend together well and stick to the hook-side of the Velcro and the double-sided carpet tape. Did I mention I'm not a carpet installer?

I hope I explained it well enough. Let me know if more explanation is needed.

Here are the links to the materials. Most are inexpensive and easy to work with, except the cardboard is a little difficult to cut.
    Good luck!

https://smile.amazon.com/Dynamat-111...e%2C170&sr=1-1

https://www.automotiveinteriors.com/waterproof-cardboard-door-panel-board-cowlboard-p/cowl-dp.htm

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08GFB8C...roduct_details

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shurtape-1-...m-Tape/3407976

https://www.fabricempire.com/vinyl-soft-grain-texture-high-quality-red-thread-quilted-black-fabric-2-x-3-diamond-with-3-8-foam-backing-upholstery-52-wide-sold-by-the-yard.aspx

IMG_3074.jpg IMG_4945.jpg IMG_5046.jpg IMG_5047.jpg IMG_5048.jpg IMG_5056.jpg IMG_5058.jpg IMG_5473.jpg IMG_5494.jpg

21. Thanks Salty Chief 35 thanked for this post
    Likes RuffShod, Chopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Allsome explanation!!!

Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffShod View Post
    Allsome explanation!!!

Thanks!!!
    You're welcome, hope it helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nicely done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Salty Chief, did you get your kit yet? Mines on order and I'm in the process of collecting parts for the build. I'm in The Villages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not yet. I’ve been gathering parts but have 1 of my kids left in college. I have a 351 Cleveland I’ve been working on and getting ready. Also have a few aesthetic things that I plan on using that I’ve collected. Hopefully towards the end of next fall.
    What kit did you end up ordering? What’s your build details?
    Respectfully
    Jeremie

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome. Your thread has been helpful as i've started my build.

What kind of Trans cooler did you get? Where did you mount it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyfive View Post
    Looks awesome. Your thread has been helpful as i've started my build.

What kind of Trans cooler did you get? Where did you mount it?
    Thanks! Glad I could help someone. I Received a lot of help on this forum, as this is my first build.
    I mounted it under the rear, left side of the bed, above the fuel tank. If you didn't see it, here are a couple pictures from my thread...

Wallace18 put one in his truck and has some good pics at his thread, post #105 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?26958-Wallace18-s-35-Hot-Rod-Pickup/page3
    He recommended it to me, so I got the same one...

Part # 57313211 Perma-Cool 13211 Maxi-Cool Jr. 6-Pass Transmission Cooler w/8 Inch Fan https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Perma...Fan,97986.html
    Part # 91064044 Speedway Budget 40-Amp Electric Relay Kit https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...-Kit,7052.html
    Part # 57318899 Perma-Cool 18899 Inline 185 Degree Thermoswitch, -6 AN https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Perma...-AN,97988.html

Good luck!

30. Thanks Just 1 More thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeremie, lost your post. Extended cab ordered, due April 8,23. ZZ4, holly sniper, 4L60E, 8.8 mustang 3.55 posi, power brakes, A/C. Still trying to decide on fenders, full vs motorcycle, too much rain here in Fl. to go bare. DonS

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sent pm
    Respectfully
    Jeremie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FLFrank35 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll study it and see how that might work.

Good luck unpacking.
    I drilled and tapped a1/4" hole in the frame mounting ear to match the 1/4" hole in the radiator bracket. Can't move anymore!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123